Author Topic: Coronavirus live updates: 627 die in a single day in Italy  (Read 3283 times)

Jacko70

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Walter

Re: Coronavirus live updates: 627 die in a single day in Italy
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2020, 02:00:46 PM »
Not good apparantly according to the media most of them are elderly men, Iran is also being hit hard
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2020, 04:54:04 PM »
The important thing is whether this is, or near, a peak, or a trend
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2020, 07:08:26 AM »
The important thing is whether infected carriers are near a peak and declining.
Infected carriers will come from the workers.  So whilst one smallish group of us are in isolation, nominally driving down infection rates  a much larger group (the workers - because they are not in isolation)  are driving up infected carrier rates far far faster than isolated groups are driving infected carrier rates down.

So to Italy...
As Italy comes out of lockdown we might discover viral death rates continue to grow simply because infected carrier rates amongst the workers continue to grow.

And the same applies to the UK - after 14.days in isolation we may probably emerge only to find viral death rates and viral hospital admissions still growing.

Infected carrier numbers is the factor which determines all short term outcomes.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2020, 07:40:10 AM »
The important thing is whether infected carriers are near a peak and declining.
Infected carriers will come from the workers.  So whilst one smallish group of us are in isolation, nominally driving down infection rates  a much larger group (the workers - because they are not in isolation)  are driving up infected carrier rates far far faster than isolated groups are driving infected carrier rates down.

So to Italy...
As Italy comes out of lockdown we might discover viral death rates continue to grow simply because infected carrier rates amongst the workers continue to grow.

Infected carrier numbers is the factor which determines all short term outcomes.

Absolutely
Mike

Walter

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2020, 10:04:16 AM »
Its Hobson's choice all the way round IMHO somebody has to keep the lights burning people fed and watered cared for many people have to work to do that.

Will this dam virus burn itself out? will the warmer weather help kill it, will they find a vaccine that will kill it , if so when who knows a few weeks months or much longer.

“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

klondike

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2020, 11:31:52 AM »
My undestanding is that the only hope of a speedy (few months timescale) medical intervention is repurposing an existing approved drug which they find to act as an anti-viral in some way. Apparently some HIV drugs are being tested. Even if a vaccine is developed it will take a long time to brew up in large eneough quantities even for health workers and vulnerale groups to be immunised.
So long and thanks for all the fish

biglouis

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2020, 01:09:10 PM »
They have tested some HIV drugs but the results were disappointing. However the test subjects were people with underlying medical conditions so they may have died anyway.

They are also testing some anti malaria drugs.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8134785/Has-Australia-coronavirus-cure-Patients-successfully-treated-HIV-malaria-medication.html
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Raven

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2020, 09:59:31 AM »
EEEEKKKKKKK.

eegrek

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2020, 10:09:45 AM »
I don't get it - Tokyo is just like a normal day (or at the moment evening). People crossing the road in crowds in Shibuya as if there is nothing going on in the world. They have as of today only 41 deaths in 1012 cases. Its either going to hit them hard in the next few days or they are all immune.

Raven

« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2020, 10:10:58 AM »
I don't get it - Tokyo is just like a normal day (or at the moment evening). People crossing the road in crowds in Shibuya as if there is nothing going on in the world. They have as of today only 41 deaths in 1012 cases. Its either going to hit them hard in the next few days or they are all immune.

Maybe they know something the rest of us don't. :(

klondike

« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2020, 10:15:03 AM »
I thought Japan was the most densely populated country but google says I'm wrong  :(
So long and thanks for all the fish

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2020, 11:47:32 AM »
Klondike and Mike Rolls
The 10:00 news last night reported that viral death numbers in Italy on Saturday were down to the mid 600 hundreds as compared to the mid 700 hundreds on Friday.
Too early to claim a success for Lockdown Italy but it left me with a good feeling.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2020, 11:57:18 AM »
Thanks - long may it continue
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2020, 11:58:23 AM »
Its Hobson's choice all the way round IMHO somebody has to keep the lights burning people fed and watered cared for many people have to work to do that.

Will this dam virus burn itself out? will the warmer weather help kill it, will they find a vaccine that will kill it , if so when who knows a few weeks months or much longer.

The way I see it is that those who can self-isolate should do so, as best they can, in order to keep the NHS free for those who have to be out & about & who might get infected & need hospital treatment.

As with me today, there'll always be the need to pop out to the shop (away for the messages for our Scottish members ;D ) but that can't be helped.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)