Author Topic: National Debt left by corona viras.  (Read 792 times)

brian54

National Debt left by corona viras.
« on: Mar 23, 2020, 04:16:22 PM »
Instead of people who have saved in life being taxed more surely benefits need to be cut.

BazzerPontefract

Re: National Debt left by corona viras.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2020, 04:42:06 PM »
Instead of people who have saved in life being taxed more surely benefits need to be cut.
The national debt left by the virus is well worth discussing.
But given more than half the population are currently living off welfare, now does not seem a good time to discuss post-virus welfare arrangements.

biglouis

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2020, 04:50:48 PM »
Especially as those of us who were foolish enough to save and/or provide for our retirement have long been subsidising the feckless who boozed, gambled and smoked their money away as it came in.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2020, 05:14:48 PM »
Especially as those of us who were foolish enough to save and/or provide for our retirement have long been subsidising the feckless who boozed, gambled and smoked their money away as it came in.
My own  sentiments exactly.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2020, 06:39:07 PM »
I was pondering this using my first class degree in guessing. Considering all the world's countries seem to be in competition to flush their economies down the biggest toilet and currency values and the like are set in comparison to others is there any chance that we will all come out of this with less of a downturn than common sense dictates?
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2020, 07:32:38 PM »
I should think the current wave of hysterical overbuying must have boosted the economy.

klondike

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2020, 07:38:32 PM »
Most of the panic bought stuff isn't big money items though. Somebody said there is a billion quids worth of extra groceries in people's homes. A billion quid sounds a lot but with 20 million(ish) households that's only £50 each on average. Enough to produce a shortage of bog rolls but not enough to get Tesco shareholders overly excited.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2020, 08:06:19 PM »
I agree and of course at some point there will be a depressed market to compensate for the over-buying. Compare that billion to some 20 billion p.a. spent on booze.

Alex22

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2020, 01:24:07 AM »
I thought the Chinese were buying up all the stocks and shares people have off loaded  ?

mick607

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2020, 08:12:04 PM »
Send the final bill for all this to the Chinese Govt.

Diasi

Re: National Debt Left By Wuhan Flu.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2020, 09:12:35 PM »
Send the final bill for all this to the Chinese Govt.

I'm fed up with Coronavirus & Covid-19, it's Wuhan Flu.

Was & always will be.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2020, 09:46:47 PM »
I agree and of course at some point there will be a depressed market to compensate for the over-buying. Compare that billion to some 20 billion p.a. spent on booze.
The over-buying/hoarding stock movements are no different to a normal Christmas  one wise retailer said.
The difference between Christmas and the current hoarding, is that retailers plan for Christmas (the stocks of everything in the right place and sufficient drivers and lorries to shift the stuff already planned for).

biglouis

« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2020, 11:15:05 PM »
For once (more) I agree with Diasi.

The Chinese government suppressed the knowledge of this virus well before Christmas. Had they been up front it might have been confined to China and a few other nearby countries. The effects may have been a great deal less devastating.

Will any country feel inclined to deal with the regime in China after we come out of this?  I know what my answer would be if I were a head of state of a western country.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2020, 11:57:04 PM »
We’ll still buy cheap goods. Economics beats ethics every time, much as I agree with your sentiments
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

Re: National Debt left by Wuhan Flu.
« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2020, 07:54:23 AM »
We’ll still buy cheap goods. Economics beats ethics every time, much as I agree with your sentiments
Mike

But you can spend £500 on a Dyson & still find it's made in China.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)