Author Topic: 800 Lords a Milking? and...searching rubbish bins for grub  (Read 626 times)

digitalis

Parliament to be dissolved  today? So I hear.

As our august leaders go back to their constituencies to work,I guess they and their missus's and daughters will be working from their laptops. Safe work if you can get it,fellas! ££££££££ I guess you will be entitled to your full pay...plus expenses(time to order x3 new laptops?) With all this extra time saved whilst working from home,you will now have extra time to put in claims for those biscuits you need to dunk with your expenses claimed tea to drink. And don't forget the gals,your partners,your secretaries! Will you claim? Past precedence says you will,and you have the right to. Let's see.

Howsabout the House o Fraud? Well,working from home(to protect the public,lessen the need to use public transport,yeh we've heard it all before)means x800 Lords can now log on and claim all but 400 smackers a day. Who's gonna be checking these guys out whilst the PC plod our local streets. Do we just go on trust? You don't seem to trust anyone else

Meanwhile,whilst our leaders work from home(more tea anyone?),the local taxi drivers and self employed are finding no one dare take their trade. All people told to stay indoors = no need for your local taxi driver = no dough. Well,maybe you can scrounge 30 for one week. Where's it all going? Well,our leaders don't really know...but will keep on 'those computors',safe in their not overcrowded detached residences(which ones fellas?)writing their mandates. (Cue pictures of the self employed crammed into Londons tubes,having to go into work cos no work = no money. All the while whilst the media lambast them for their ignorance.)

Feeling frightened for those nurses and doctors on the front line. Into battle with broomsticks! 

Ashy

Re: 800 Lords a Milking? and...searching rubbish bins for grub
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2020, 08:22:31 AM »
For the common herd it would be a second home, for MPs it's their first home, so it's ok to go there for the duration.

Walter

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2020, 08:50:42 AM »
As I understand it MP's are salaried and it is not compulsory to attend the Commons therefore they will get paid, as for the Lords they only paid if they attend each day, they are paid a little over £300 for each day and expenses on top of that. 
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

crabbyob

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2020, 09:01:05 AM »
and the self employed...
i bet they all wish they hadnt fiddled their tax returns now.. ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

digitalis

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2020, 09:11:08 AM »
Your comments are true Walter. Howsoever,from my understanding because of the current situation with Covid19 and government advice and opaque edicts,it would be adviseable to 'work from home'. Thus members of House of Lords could sign in digitally claiming £400 for their attendance(I believe they too can claim expenses and have, or are having, a pay increase). Who polices their attendance?

MPs can do as much or as little as they want,from all the papers I have read. As you will know,some are decent and some have up to 30 directorships or other 'outside interests'. From past precendents a large number of these individuals have resisted any scrutiny of their claims or performed work. I volunteered to oversee their adherence,gratis. When appointed regulators challenged many claims these regulators were dismissed or made unemployed.

I was policed in my employment. I expect those I have elected to be policed. At present they seem to be their own judge and jury and (not)surprisingly are rarely found guilty when questioned over their conduct,claims or behavior.

Walter

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2020, 09:23:38 AM »
I have no liking for MP's or the Lords a Leaping, yes some of them will be good at what they do, some will be mediocre some well meaning some useless, just like any other profession some will be honest some will be negligent some corrupt but that is true of any profession.

All of us are Policed when at work no matter what, some MP's certainly were they tried in a Court of Law some went to prison

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2020, 09:28:25 AM »
We at least have a choice who to vote for with MPs.  I believe the HoL is outdated and needs an overhaul. But it will take a brave political party to set that ball rolling.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Ashy

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2020, 09:51:45 AM »
Since the Blair overhaul we have more and more failed politicians stuffed in there and less of the aristocracy. Some of whom talked a lot of sense.

Walter

« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2020, 09:59:05 AM »
Yes only about 90 hereditary Peers these days, 26 Lords Spirituals, as much as I don't like the system they are there to quality control what the bunch in the Commons do

Diasi

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2020, 10:08:41 AM »
Yes only about 90 hereditary Peers these days, 26 Lords Spirituals, as much as I don't like the system they are there to quality control what the bunch in the Commons do

Well I don't want them 'quality controlling', or more accurately 'frustrating', the work of the Commons.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Walter

« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2020, 10:13:47 AM »
If there was no quality control over the Commons them they could really make your life very miserable to say the least , they could introduce laws unchallenged or badly thought out

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2020, 10:22:28 AM »
If there was no quality control over the Commons them they could really make your life very miserable to say the least , they could introduce laws unchallenged or badly thought out

The Commons can do that now, the Lords can't stop anything unless there's a minority Government.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Walter

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2020, 10:42:42 AM »
If you have a Government with a large enough majority can push virtually anything through, the Lords cannot stop them what they do is object to certain parts of a Bill they consider to be weak , unworkable, and make suggestions to amend a bill.

At the end of the day as I understand it the Lords cannot stop a bill but they can try and get the Commons to amend it, think it over, delay it but not stop it

The Commons produces Legislation and that needs to be quality controlled just as companies etc outside of the Commons they have quality control to ensure what they produce or service they provide is acceptable to their customers works and is not harmful   

mick607

« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2020, 02:03:36 PM »
New legislation goes to the house of lords for approval. The house of lords can delay legislation up to one year on occasions, really they can just be bluddy nuisances.As they usually are.

Walter

« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2020, 04:45:10 PM »
Yes and Yes