Author Topic: What are the current rules for over 70's?  (Read 598 times)

xetog

What are the current rules for over 70's?
« on: Mar 25, 2020, 10:14:26 AM »
Do Government keep moving the goal posts?  being over 70, we thought there was to be a government edict for us to self isolate for 12 weeks.  From reading the GOV.UK/coronavirus website this morning, this does not appear to be so.  Those who receive a letter classing them as vulnerable (with certain listed ailments such as COPD) are being asked to self-isolate for 12 weeks, but it seems we are now just being classed in with the remainder of the population in that we must self isolate until further notice except for certain outings such as essential shopping.  There are many appeals out there to treat over 70's as vulnerable but I m sure it used to be on the Gov.UK website, although I could find no mention this morning.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Sheila

Re: What are the current rules for over 70's?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2020, 11:30:29 AM »
Are there different messages?  I was chatting on the phone to a neighbour this morning and her message seems to be different to mine. 

Mine says to stay in for 12 weeks, keep three steps away from my OH, sleep in a different room, try to use a different bathroom, eat separately etc. etc.  I do want to stay safe but that is so difficult. 

I have not been out for a while and he has only been out a couple of times, being very careful, so I have made the decision to not try to avoid him.

I am getting used to chatting to my daughters every day on messenger, using the camera but as I am not doing anything I have nothing interesting to talk about!

Alex22

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2020, 11:40:19 AM »
Mine says New Rules:  Stay at home only go outside for food, health reasons or work (where cannot be done from home).  Stay 2 metres away from other people, wash your hands as soon as you get home.

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2020, 11:41:06 AM »
Are there different messages?  I was chatting on the phone to a neighbour this morning and her message seems to be different to mine. 

Mine says to stay in for 12 weeks, keep three steps away from my OH, sleep in a different room, try to use a different bathroom, eat separately etc. etc.  I do want to stay safe but that is so difficult. 

I have not been out for a while and he has only been out a couple of times, being very careful, so I have made the decision to not try to avoid him.

I am getting used to chatting to my daughters every day on messenger, using the camera but as I am not doing anything I have nothing interesting to talk about!

There will be different rules because you're over 70 with pre-existing health conditions while your friend may be over 70 & fighting-fit.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2020, 12:01:23 PM »
I'm confused - by no means unusual!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2020, 12:04:37 PM »
It's those "underlying conditions" we keep hearing about.

The over 70 is simple enough (except that I'm exactly 70 unless the few months since my birthday count as over) and I assume COPD is too but what about things like controlled asthma?
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2020, 12:16:00 PM »
This is the thing - I just don't know. I'm 82 - so over 70. Tick one one box. I am borderline diabetic - but so far just the right side . Tick box two yes/no?. I had a heart stoppage on 2017 so have a pacemaker fitted. Tick box three yes/no? To be honest, yesterday I was ready to climb the wall, yet had it not been a case of 'your isolation or your life' - it wasn't any different from many, many days in the past
Mike

klondike

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2020, 12:21:45 PM »
If you think you may need help then register as at risk - Phil posted the link in another thread. Let them decide.

I don't think I am. 70 years old with highish cholesterol but unable to take statins, controlled high blood pressure and controlled asthma means I'm not risk free but there will be so many with far worse health I can't expect any priority.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2020, 05:13:21 PM »
That’s how I feel
Mike

stellamaris

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2020, 05:17:39 PM »
The only messages I have are almost daily texts from NHS telling me not to bother them. [Well, that's the underlying message disguised as information ;D ]  There was a different one asking for my email number.  That might have been from the surgery. Or they all might have been a tick box exercise from the surgery.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

zoony

« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2020, 05:21:51 PM »
I'm getting several a day..Mostly telling me what I already know and nothing about how I contact this mysterious 'hub' which is supposed to help with shopping etc..I'm craving chocolate!
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

biglouis

« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2020, 05:24:58 PM »
The man who delivers my prescriptions called earlier and said that the pharmacy had identified me as a "vulnerable" person with no domestic support and was working with a local charity who were delivering food parcels to older and disabled people in the area. He asked if I wanted to go down on the list and I gave him my contact details. Someone is going to contact me by phone or email.

I think these groups who are doing deliveries are getting their information from the surgery or the attached pharmacy as the chances are if you have your prescription delivered you are unable to collect it yourself.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2020, 05:53:09 PM »
So it's local charities that are administering it? Seems a bit hit and miss..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

biglouis

« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2020, 10:46:51 PM »
No its the WVS that are administering the NHS volunteers one - this is just an informal local one for my immediate area.

You can volunteer to "phone and chat" for the NHS one even if you are over 70 and have health conditions. However there is a lot of palaver - ID checks and so on, downloading apps, etc.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

xetog

« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2020, 09:02:55 AM »
We had our first grocery delivery from ASDA yesterday and were pleased that some of the things that were out of stock when we ordered were now in-stock.  (My wife has also just seen online that ASDA will be paying their staff an extra weeks pay).  Also our fears about quality and dates were not realised and everything appears to have been chosen for long use by dates and the fresh veg has been good quality and good sizes.  Their web-site is permanently busy now during the day, but we managed to get online at 5.30 this morning to order next weeks delivery.

We also had a call from a group being organised by our doctors surgery.  A very helpful lady explaining what they were doing and asking whether we had enough food.  I explained that we were well organised and fine for everything except medication.  I am due to reorder on 1st April and have been unable to get on to Boots about delivery as they seem to have their phone permanently blocked.  She said that she had heard this from others and they were looking into setting up a delivery service within their group.  So that should be OK, she also gave me an emergency number.

We are getting out for our daily constitutional but have noticed a huge increase in the numbers of other walkers where previously we would not see a soul.  Only to be expected, but we are still confused about which lockdown group we are in.  The original instruction was that there were three groups: 1.  Over 70's and vulnerable, 2. Everyone else except Key workers and those who couldn't work from home, 3.  Key workers and those who couldn't work from home.  Group 1, it would be anticipated would be confined to completely to home within a week or so.  In the event the groups seem to gave changed.  Group 1 has been confined to their homes, but now only consists of those considered vulnerable with no mention of over 70's.  Does that mean we are now under the same constraints as group 2, confined to home, but allowed out for various purposes such as shopping?  Clearly our GP considers us vulnerable or we would not be on their helpers list.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.