Author Topic: Wetherspoons  (Read 1132 times)

Alex22

Wetherspoons
« on: Mar 25, 2020, 12:44:46 PM »
During Brexit I always thought the owner of Wetherspoons was a good bloke, not any more.  40,000 staff have been laid off without pay, after the chain closed its pubs in response to the crisis.
The government has pledged to cover 80 per cent of salaries, but Wetherspoons aren't willing to pay their employees until the government money comes in and that could be the end of April.   He has told his staff to get a job at Tesco ffs and the man is a multi millionaire.

klondike

Re: Wetherspoons
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2020, 12:51:15 PM »
Paying 40,000 just £1,000 each is £40m. If he didn't act as he has there would be no business left to employ those 40,000 when this has run its course.
So long and thanks for all the fish

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2020, 01:06:13 PM »
I agree..Just the press machine looking for headlines. Perfectly logical business decision.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Scrumpy

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2020, 01:06:33 PM »

A long time to make millions a short time to lose millions.. I think he is right..

They will , at least, have jobs to go back to hopefully..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Alex22

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2020, 01:43:13 PM »
So what do these people do for the next 3 weeks  ?     

GrannyMac

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2020, 01:49:51 PM »
There needs to be a mechanism for emergency payments at least in the short term.   We pensioners can count on our pensions, but there are workers who barely earn enough to survive, who will have little if anything saved. They are in a more precarious position than households already reliant on benefits.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2020, 02:58:57 PM »

Go to Tesco who want 20,000 extra staff as well as all the supermarkets & Amazon who want thousands.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

biglouis

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2020, 03:45:38 PM »
You have to be adaptable and not too proud.

I did some very odd jobs while I was a mature student, including working on one phone line where I read the tarot and another where I did "sex" talk.

The latter provided me with some wonderful material when I came to do my final year dissertation!
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Walter

« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2020, 04:58:42 PM »

As already said go to Tesco or Amazon , or sign on like the self employed or those who are not salaried only way to keep the wolf from the door needs must
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

crabbyob

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2020, 06:42:21 PM »
folks are expecting the govt to cover their wages... ???
in my long and varied careers, i have on occasion not had work
i didnt expect the govt to pay me a wage, if i didnt work i got dole money
we just know some will claim £1000 a week as their earnings, rightly in some cases
but if they have been earning £1000 a week why do they need a hand-out?
and the rest should get dole money... allegedly its enough to live on
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2020, 06:43:35 PM »
The maximum payout is based on £2500 a month
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2020, 02:53:57 AM »
All the supermarkets are taking on thousands of temporary staff.

Walter

« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2020, 06:19:55 AM »
I left school in 1965 aged 15 years to start work a few years later jobs started to go due to cheap imports and falling orders I was made redundant on the Friday , but managed to get another job by the Monday.

I watched all the weaving Mills in my native North West close one by one, that is when I decided either join all you old schoolmates and relatives on the dole or get out.

That is when I headed south in 71 to where the work was , I knew it would not come to me it was the right move for me I was never out of work again, never ever had to sign on the Dole I am glad to say. 
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

biglouis

« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2020, 01:10:21 AM »
Queen Elizabeth I (my greatest hero) once said that if she were thrown out of her kingdom in her shift she would still prosper.

Ive never been on "the dole" in my life. When I was in between jobs I did agency work. Ive also worked as a film extra, night club singer, chat and sex line worker, debt collector and sold door to door.

I cant imagine a life sitting around watching daytime TV.

granny moss

« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2020, 02:43:19 AM »
Micky and I and none of my family have ever claimed dole. I had so many different jobs, and I was extremely lucky. The "virus" is real and these are times without comparisons. I dread to think how I could survive without some help from somewhere...The war was a much easier time, because we could see and hear the enemy bombs...This KILLER is silent, virulent and extremely contagious. Only fools and ignorants would be blase' about it. Out there, doctors, nurses, and supermarkets workers are taking great risk to look after us. Let's not be so stupid as to not obey the advice we are been given. STAY HOME. Sainsburys keeps me in touch, and opens delivery slots. I have for now all I need. I am very grateful and pray for all those that work so hard. The planet Earth had got fed up with the way humanity abused it, and is taking it's revenge...So be it. Sad for the innocent victims...but many are culpable. Amen.