Author Topic: Cash machines  (Read 1345 times)

Jacko70

Cash machines
« on: Mar 25, 2020, 08:59:07 PM »
Stood behind a woman today at Co-op cash machine who was coughing. Went into shop and got a box of cotton buds and returned to cash machine and used one to press buttons. Am I being over protective, I think not.

Read today that the best way to sterilise your dish cloth (Other than bleach) is to put it in the microwave and heat it to boiling point. Did it twice today since lunch time. Don't do what I did and grab it immediately after the ping. Ouch  :-[

Also read you need to wash clothing at or above 60. I can now confirm that this is not suitable for pullovers. Any midgets on the site need a couple of pullovers?
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

zoony

Re: Cash machines
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2020, 09:25:37 PM »
It's not good for knee-length socks either.. ???
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Jacqueline

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2020, 09:27:18 PM »
I had a rant at Barclays a few weeks ago because nobody in the bank was cleaning the inside machines, we are all automated now, they didn't seem at all bothered.  These cash machines at the best of times are filthy and germridden, I have never seen them cleaned. 

I won't be going to the bank for a long time,  since our local branches were closed a 15 miles each way journey so not an option when self isolating. If I need cash I'm stuffed.

By the way, you can't wash modern fabrics at 60 degrees and have any clothes left worth wearing as discovered with the pullovers.

crabbyob

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2020, 09:43:24 PM »
a pencil with a rubber on the end might be best for the ATM
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Yellowbird

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2020, 10:49:38 PM »
 Ever use cash machines I always think everyone knows  that you have money if you have been to the machine which isn’t too good
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Jacko70

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2020, 11:00:58 PM »
Ever use cash machines I always think everyone knows  that you have money if you have been to the machine which isn’t too good

Was that never?

So how do you get your cash? When I go to the bank always lots of people behind me who must know I have money why else would I queue up in the bank. At the cash machine I might have only one or two people behind me.

If I go into Morrisons, everyone will know I have money, unless they think I am a shoplifter!
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

biglouis

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2020, 02:49:57 AM »
Its well over a year since I used a cash machine because I pay for everything online. I nearly forgot my PIN number.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2020, 06:38:15 AM »
Cashback in the supermarket is an alternative. We only use cash to pay the window cleaner, my hairdresser, and the small garage we use. Anything over £30 I use my credit card, then clear the monthly balance. Contactless for cheaper items.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2020, 06:44:44 AM »
I've never used contactless in a shop. Do you get a receipt? The only time I have used the contactless facility of my card was down in London for two bus journeys and it was a couple of weeks or so before the charges showed in my statement.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

sparky

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2020, 07:32:58 AM »
I have always said I would not use contactless facility, but given the current situation, I have now started doing it for small purchases.

Mike you still get a receipt in the normal way.

Diasi

Re: Cash Machines.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2020, 07:36:31 AM »
I very rarely use cash & contactless is my preferred option.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2020, 07:41:32 AM »
I have always said I would not use contactless facility, but given the current situation, I have now started doing it for small purchases.

Mike you still get a receipt in the normal way.
Thanks
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2020, 07:46:03 AM »
The advantage of contactless is that the card does not leave your hand and it need not touch the reader either. The disadvantage is if you lose the card another person can use it without the PIN. Once you have left your card in the machine, you might prefer contactless, that's what persuaded me.

Walter

« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2020, 07:58:01 AM »
I never use contactless , I only have a one Debit Card and one credit Card for emergencies, we have a Card we use when on holiday we put cash on it each month spending money never uses any other card when outside of the UK.

I have a wallet that is shielded wife has a purse likewise so our cards cannot be cloned by any thieving git with a scanner device near you when you use them

Like wise our car keys ( both are keyless entry) are kept in a metal key safe to shield them when we are home so they can't do the same to steal our cars with a similar device.
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

Diasi

Re: Cash Machines
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2020, 08:34:25 AM »
I never use contactless , I only have a one Debit Card and one credit Card for emergencies, we have a Card we use when on holiday we put cash on it each month spending money never uses any other card when outside of the UK.

I have a wallet that is shielded wife has a purse likewise so our cards cannot be cloned by any thieving git with a scanner device near you when you use them

In theory a contactless card could be read by a scanner when you use chip & PIN.

However, I can't find any data from the card association that shows any instances of a contactless card being cloned by a scanner.

https://www.paymentscardsandmobile.com/21221-2/
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)