Author Topic: Cash machines  (Read 1347 times)

crabbyob

Re: Cash machines
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2020, 08:46:37 AM »
i like the contact-less method... the first time i asked if i could 'touch it' i got a brief nod and a big blush.....lol
i too rarely use cash, but when someone is shopping for you, it is quite useful...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

klondike

« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2020, 08:56:05 AM »
With both contactless and Chip & Pin, the data that your card shares with the terminal is 100% encrypted. That means it’s highly unlikely for someone to be able to clone your card using a terminal. However, if a fraudulent transaction ever was successful, our fraud protection guarantee is always there for your peace of mind.   

https://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/debit-cards/contactless/articles/5-contactless-myths-debunked/

I always use contactless if I can. As often as not with Googlepay on my phone which is accepted above £30 in forward looking supermarkets such as Aldi And Lidl  :)

At the caravan we used to pick up stuff for a friend. I'd pay that cash and bung the change in the bag so she could repay with notes.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Walter

Re: Cash Machines
« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2020, 09:31:20 AM »
In theory a contactless card could be read by a scanner when you use chip & PIN.

However, I can't find any data from the card association that shows any instances of a contactless card being cloned by a scanner.

https://www.paymentscardsandmobile.com/21221-2/

I don't know if they can be or not, just being careful belt and braces job no matter what security you have someone will find a way round it.
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

crabbyob

« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2020, 09:37:49 AM »
yes as we get older our whole outlook has to change, because we change
take care in everything you do, assume that a thief is watching
at the supermarket my ex paid the bill then placed her purse on the counter and started loading her shopping, before you could blink the purse was gone... stupid mistake?... i see many women doing exactly the same thing...
we are not spring chickens, lets make our suit to suit our cloth
you are in charge of you
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Walter

« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2020, 09:44:49 AM »
The number of women you see wandering around the shopping malls with their purse in the hand on display is unbelievable , or people walking down the street with an expensive I phone in their hand or clamped to their ear which stand out at night.

All they are saying is here it is come and take push me over grab it, another Mugging statistic

biglouis

« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2020, 11:19:20 AM »
Scumbag thieves assume older people are stupid and still keep their money in the house (under the mattress??)

I dont use contactless because I dont go out to shops and supermarkets.  If I need cash (rare) I bank transfer some money to my nephew and he gets it from the cashpoint for me on the way over.

Robbers would have a lean time here. No or little cash, I dont wear jewellery and my only smart phone is a cheapie. No car either.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2020, 11:22:01 AM »
Scumbag thieves assume older people are stupid and still keep their money in the house (under the mattress??)

Robbers would have a lean time here. No or little cash, I dont wear jewellery and my only smart phone is a cheapie. No car either.

What happens if they think you're hiding it under your kaftan?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

biglouis

« Reply #22 on: Mar 26, 2020, 11:24:18 AM »
They will get a kick in the nuts!

Walter

« Reply #23 on: Mar 26, 2020, 01:33:14 PM »
Oh Goodness Gracious Me Queen Victoria Very Nice Fella:)

stellamaris

« Reply #24 on: Mar 26, 2020, 06:10:54 PM »
I've never got this cloning thing.  My cards are in a supposedly protective case, but there are at least 8 of them.  Some credit and a debit along with other cards for Boots, Superdrug, Holland and Barrett etc. that sort of thing, all with information on them.  They are all mixed up and the important ones are usually towards the middle.  How would a cloning machine pick out the important one in a non-protected case?  I have bought into it to the extent that I have folded tinfoil around the seldom used ones ;D  but I am still dubious about the reality of it. It must have put a dent into the sales of the really expensive, designer [and gorgeous] leather card holders without the technology.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

zoony

« Reply #25 on: Mar 26, 2020, 06:21:34 PM »
As I understand it Spud, it's the contactless card that is the risk..Sounds like yours is well shielded...As always, I'm happy to be corrected.. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Jacko70

« Reply #26 on: Mar 26, 2020, 07:40:51 PM »
Many thousands of people are now offering their services to NHS and LAs to collect and deliver prescriptions and groceries. People will need cash to pay the volunteers who won't have chip and pin readers.

Went to shop for old gent down the road this evening who had no cash so gave me his bank card and pin number. Asked me to draw £250 from bank as well. Have known him for years so I know he won't claim I used it for myself and he knows I won't fiddle him.

Going to be thousands of people with no cash at home offering to give strangers their card and pin.

I foresee problems...  ::)
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

klondike

« Reply #27 on: Mar 26, 2020, 07:53:08 PM »
To clone them they have to be read. The bus pass is a contactless card. See if the bus machine can pick out the right one with it in the same wallet as a debit card and credit card. I certainly have to put mine in a fold out section entirely on its own for it to work.
So long and thanks for all the fish

biglouis

« Reply #28 on: Mar 26, 2020, 10:01:12 PM »
I would not give a stranger my card and pin.

There are alternatives such as Paypal and bank transfer.

Giving someone your sort code and account number does not give them access to your bank account = this information is printed on cheques anyway.

Here is a link to a registered charity in Manchester (Acorn) which does shopping, prescription collections, contact phone calls etc for older or disabled people.

They operate in other cities too - Brighton, Bristol, Nottingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Lancester, Liverpool, Newcastle

They accept  Paypal, bank transfer and cash. The limit for an order is £20 but useful for a few oddments.
https://acorntheunion.org.uk/corona/

Walter

« Reply #29 on: Mar 27, 2020, 07:01:51 AM »
As you know I live in London where many do not know their neighbours and many are on not on speaking terms , however we have lived in the same house for over 35 years and know all our neighbours, most have lived here for years

We have always kept an eye on each other been to parties with each other, even attended funerals when a family member has passed away, we have a chat when we see each other.

Some of us have keys for each others houses when others go on holiday to check on their house whilst away, close the curtains and put a light on in the evenings to deter burglars

I would be quite happy to give any of them my ATM card should I or my wife not be able to leave the house not that we may need to , we are already working together to shop for each other, even if it is just a bottle of milk and a few eggs or the daily paper from our corner shop.

London is not the cold hearted unfriendly place some may think