Author Topic: Wuhan Flu Panic Buying Has Caused Some Odd Supermarket Stock Choices.  (Read 444 times)

Diasi

What's the logic behind supermarkets deciding to stop stocking skimmed milk, which means that some of us will not be having any breakfast cereal for the duration.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

Expecting logic in much that is going on at the moment is a sure path to disappointment
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

I bought some in my local Tesco early yesterday but there wasn't a great deal of milk of any type. If you couldn't get any they were probably just sold out rather than not stocking it or if you went very early perhaps the shelves weren't stocked.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

I bought some in my local Tesco early yesterday but there wasn't a great deal of milk of any type. If you couldn't get any they were probably just sold out rather than not stocking it or if you went very early perhaps the shelves weren't stocked.

The red top milk?

Tesco are supposed to have stopped stocking it & Morrisons told me they had.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/24/tesco-12451170/
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

Ah no my mistake it was the green top stuff.

I see it mentions both multi buy and limits. Tesco still had multiple things on multi buy yesterday and little limited. My wife likes to drink carbonated water and annoyingly that was limited to 2. We normally buy half a dozen. To get more we just bought a couple of a slightly dearer type - a total nonsense of course.

Diasi

Ah no my mistake it was the green top stuff.

I see it mentions both multi buy and limits. Tesco still had multiple things on multi buy yesterday and little limited. My wife likes to drink carbonated water and annoyingly that was limited to 2. We normally buy half a dozen. To get more we just bought a couple of a slightly dearer type - a total nonsense of course.

It's just as well I didn't go & queue for an hour to get into Tesco. ;D ;D ;D

klondike

The queue wasn't bad at all. I did post about my experience there but nobody replied so presumably nobody read it either.

Ashy

The really sad thing about restricting retail purchases is it means we have to go to the shops more often that we would like to.

Diasi

The really sad thing about restricting retail purchases is it means we have to go to the shops more often that we would like to.

That is true but I had to keep going to the store even more times when there weren't any restrictions, to check if fresh stock has arrived.

Jacko70

Went to my local Morrisons this morning for bread, car park was almost empty and people were being made to queue 6 ft apart and only being let in as others left. Plenty of stuff on the shelves.

Guess those panic buying were not prepared to wait in line. Certain items including bread (only thing I purchased) was restricted to two items.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

stellamaris

My daughter went to Morrisons yesterday for them and for me.  Agree the rationing was random.  She was buying a tin of potatoes and a tin of kidney beans for me.  She put those on the counter with a jar of passata and was told she could have only two of those things ??? .  She put the passata back because I had one going spare which I had bought by mistake.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Coastal

That will be a problem, it's no good asking people to shop less often if they haven't got what you want in stock, it will only result in more visits, hopefully at some point the supplies will catch up with demand, when the demand returns to somewhere near normal (even the hoarders can only stock up so much)
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

GrannyMac

My daughter has had worse experiences than me.  The big Tesco she uses has been rubbish, the NHS shopping hour was a joke at the weekend.  Not monitored, basically a free for all. Tesco seems to have been the worst for older folk too.   However, she went to M&S on her day off, at 8 am, it was fine. Plenty of fresh food, meat which they've not been able to get, and most of the basics.  She hasn't been in one shop stocking loo rolls, but they got some off Amazon.  No slots for online shopping, and they are supporting an 85 year old relative plus their elderly neighbours.  I wish we lived closer to help her. 

Sainsburys and Lidl today, loo rolls, 24 packs in Sainsburys, none in Lidl.  No red wine, except for the most expensive, in Sainsburys, I got a couple of decently priced bottles in Lidl.  My husbands little luxury!  Lidl were doing the 'one in one out' routine but it was very quiet as was Sainsburys.   All the local supermarkets seem to be coping reasonably now the bulk buying is restricted.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Coastal

We've only got a Tesco and Aldi, and as much as I like a choice, I don't think they'd stand for the 60 mile plus round journey.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......