Author Topic: Home virus test - Positive Result  (Read 1593 times)

BazzerPontefract

Re: Home virus test - Positive Result
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2020, 12:53:23 PM »
Bear with me, please, folks, because I am getting confused - not hard, I know. Surely the test has two possible outcomes. Positive for the virus, or negative for the virus. If you are clear of the virus at the time of the test, it doesn’t mean that you can’t contract it subsequently, and as far as I can see that is all. To issue CLEAN armbands to those who did not test positive simply isn’t on. It is no guarantee that they won’t contract it in the future, almost certainly being unaware of the fact during the incubation period, thus representing a grave threat. Yes/no?
Mike
MikeR
I am saying those that test positive at the time of the test (they are proven infectious carriers) should after 7 days rigorous isolation be classified as CLEAN.
As you say, those incubating the disease or those past infectousness will not test Positive.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2020, 12:54:55 PM »
With you now, but is it yet proven that such folk now have immunity and cannot be carriers?
M
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

Re: Home Virus Test - Positive Result
« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2020, 01:18:47 PM »
It's the antibodies in person 3, who has had the virus & has recovered but who hasn't had any treatment so doesn't show on the records, that are of most interest.
I think the antibody test is the quick new blood test that isn't yet in use. Apparently they are continuing with an older test that isn't very quick to give a result but is tried and tested.

I imagine the old one involves mapping out the DNA from a swab to confirm the virus is present - similar to police DNA testing. The blood one is going to be on some prepared gizmo to check if stuff binds to the correct areas on it. I remember reading about this sort of testing years back. I think it was developed to identify presence of narcotics but don't recall any details.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2020, 01:39:31 PM »
Are we sure that only this chinese virus binds itself in this way?

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2020, 01:58:18 PM »
With you now, but is it yet proven that such folk now have immunity and cannot be carriers?
M
MikeR
Well no-one knows. 
We have to wait 2 months to see if some lab can develop a test for anti-bodies. If there's no test because there's no immunity  we really are in for tougher times.

klondike

« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2020, 01:59:52 PM »
They've produced prototypes which are under test to see how reliable they are.

klondike

« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2020, 02:04:36 PM »
Are we sure that only this chinese virus binds itself in this way?
it isn't the virus they are looking for in this test. It is the antibodies produced by the immune system which stopped it reproducing in the patients body. It is essentially just a test for specific (and complex) chemicals.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #22 on: Mar 26, 2020, 02:06:58 PM »
On studying the test it appears that it looks for two markers in the blood which indicate that:

the person hasn't had Wuhan Flu
the person is currently infected with Wuhan Flu
the person has had Wuhan Flu

It's the antibodies in person 3, who has had the virus & has recovered but who hasn't had any treatment so doesn't show on the records, that are of most interest.

I may be wrong, but that's my understanding.
Diasi,
My interest is solely about the group who at the time of the test show themselves to be infected carriers.
The CLEAN argument only applies to them.
Every other group are in status unknown.

Diasi

« Reply #23 on: Mar 26, 2020, 02:12:39 PM »
Diasi,
My interest is solely about the group who at the time of the test show themselves to be infected carriers.

My interest isn't in any group.

My interest is only in posting what the test manufacturer says is the purpose of the test.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #24 on: Mar 26, 2020, 02:13:49 PM »
And as I said before and provided a link to a respected source it doesn't apply to them either because the jury is still out on whether someone who has recovered can become infected again.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #25 on: Mar 26, 2020, 02:24:44 PM »
And as I said before and provided a link to a respected source it doesn't apply to them either because the jury is still out on whether someone who has recovered can become infected again.
If there is no immunity we are all wasting our time while we await the community funeral pire.
I prefer a bit of optimism, and we should plan on that basis.
Your pessimism leads to no plans  no strategies, nothing but the funeral pire    because nothing  can work

crabbyob

« Reply #26 on: Mar 26, 2020, 02:31:20 PM »
so long as we are not invited to jump onto it
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

klondike

« Reply #27 on: Mar 26, 2020, 03:45:21 PM »
If there is no immunity we are all wasting our time while we await the community funeral pire.
I prefer a bit of optimism, and we should plan on that basis.
Your pessimism leads to no plans  no strategies, nothing but the funeral pire    because nothing  can work
Your thought process is as ever flawed. Nowhere have I said there is no immunity. I merely pointed to an article that suggests a couple of individuals appear to have been reinfected so it cannot be taken for granted that recovered once means immune forever in all cases. It also means that your CLEAN badges won't be getting produced any time soon.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #28 on: Mar 26, 2020, 04:29:37 PM »
Your thought process is as ever flawed. Nowhere have I said there is no immunity. I merely pointed to an article that suggests a couple of individuals appear to have been reinfected so it cannot be taken for granted that recovered once means immune forever in all cases. It also means that your CLEAN badges won't be getting produced any time soon.
Two cases of possible re-infection against the known fact that 10s of thousands have gone through the process of catching the virus becoming an infected carrier coming out CLEAN with no evidence they are, or can be re-infected.

As I said before, my idea works with obvious positive outcomes; your idea leads to dispair and viral death numbers  the scientists can't imagine.

Logic would suggest, should you split the CLEAN  group 50% possible reinfecter and 50% possibly immune, the net outcome is still positive.

klondike

« Reply #29 on: Mar 26, 2020, 07:24:17 PM »
You really should learn to not shoot the messenger. All I've done is pointed out that, as is so often the case, you are wrong and provided evidence to back that up. All you've done, again as is so often the case, is invented stuff I never said and then argued against that.

Have a hunt through this lot and find one that backs you up...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&q=Can+coronavirus+reinfect&cad=h