Author Topic: The way Taiwan did it.  (Read 2446 times)

xetog

The way Taiwan did it.
« on: Mar 26, 2020, 01:53:23 PM »
Found on another forum:

"As some of you may know, I'm out in Taiwan, where they were very early on the ball (to the point where a lot of people, including me, thought they were being ridiculous) to stop the spread and infection.

To give you an idea of what it's like here - we've had 2 deaths TOTAL - and when the second poor soul died at the weekend, there was mass hysteria on the news... for ONE death. People would go insane if we had the Europe levels!!?

We don't have lock down here and life goes on pretty much as normal except for a few changes - if you want to go into a public building (so hospitals, clinics, government office, airline office - I guess *office*) you need to:

1) Wear a face mask (which I'm going to say 30-40% of the population did before the outbreak anyway) < this one is now also required on public transport too.
2) Have a head temperature scan.
3) Wash your hands at the door with alcohol cleanser.

And that's it.

Everyone who travelled abroad since March 4 had to go into 14 day self quarantine, with a £25,000 fine if you broke it (which someone did get this weekend by going to a nightclub). They track you by phone. If you leave it at home and go out, they will sense it's not moving and send a text - if you don't reply, they send someone to your house.

I was due to fly back to the UK in 2 weeks - but after looking at what happened over the weekend, I can't believe it. Boris asked for everyone to social distance, and what did they all do...? Go out to the park and the beach

I understand this kind of thing has not happened in the west before, but it's more serious than people are understanding. The only reason we have kept it under control here (and places like Singapore and South Korea - who originally had a massive outbreak, but totally got their numbers back down) is because people follow the rules.

Unfortunately the social distancing is required - unless everyone masks up (to stop coughing and sneezing sending the particles everywhere, plus you can't touch your nose and mouth wearing them) which just can't happen as the UK doesn't have the capacity.

So please people, be safe. It doesn't have to get as bad as Italy, numbers in South Korea (for example) were able to peak at just two weeks, with a decline since, so it is possible - but people need to be vigilant.

I'd love to know what everyone is feeling back home now - my parents don't seem too bothered, which worries me, as they ain't no spring chickens."

Should we have gone this route.  I certainly like the fines.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Walter

Re: The way Taiwan did it.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2020, 02:01:06 PM »
This is how India are doing it, 1.3 billion told to stay in with only a couple of hours notice , they risk being shot  their Police don't ask people to go home nicely

Indians warned they could be SHOT if they defy coronavirus lockdown https://mol.im/a/8154843 via @MailOnline
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2020, 02:16:01 PM »
Should we have gone this route.  I certainly like the fines.

Mike.X
MikeX
I like the idea of heavy fines too and shooting too.

crabbyob

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2020, 02:46:01 PM »
a couple in Goa [english] were prescribed special painkillers they got stopped yesterday going to the pharmacy and showed the prescription and were allowed thru on their scooter,the pharmacy did not stock it but ordered it for them,  today they got stopped the policemans eyes out on stalks screaming at them, the man explained what had happened, and as he did, a policewoman was stood swishing her four foot cane stick, the copper waved them thru but as they set off the policewoman hit the lady passenger a proper whack on her rump, leaving a weal.... now they both require the painkillers.... Indian police dont mess about.... :o :o
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Bee

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2020, 03:02:38 PM »
I know my opinion won't go down too well but reading how certain other countries were handling this virus I have always felt that Johnson and our government should have taken a leaf out of their books and if so maybe just maybe it wouldn't have got so serious in the U.K. as it is now.
The only way is up....

Diasi

Re: The Way Taiwan Did It.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2020, 03:08:56 PM »
I know my opinion won't go down too well but reading how certain other countries were handling this virus I have always felt that Johnson and our government should have taken a leaf out of their books and if so maybe just maybe it wouldn't have got so serious in the U.K. as it is now.

I agree with you Bee.

It should have been done weeks ago when I was already suggesting measures that Traveller poo-pooed & called 'unnecessary & Draconian'.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2020, 03:10:39 PM »

Bee..I do wish you'd stop apologising for yourself..I've obviously missed where it came from but it makes me wince when you do it..Nobody here has more right to an opinion than you cos you're a member of PF.The only criterion..Sorry if this reads like a scold but I guess it is. ;D :-*
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Bee

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2020, 03:14:41 PM »
I agree with you Bee.

It should have been done weeks ago when I was already suggesting measures that Traveller poo-pooed & called 'unnecessary & Draconian'.

Thanks Phil and I agree with you that it should have been done weeks ago.
The only way is up....

Bee

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »

Bee..I do wish you'd stop apologising for yourself..I've obviously missed where it came from but it makes me wince when you do it..Nobody here has more right to an opinion than you cos you're a member of PF.The only criterion..Sorry if this reads like a scold but I guess it is. ;D :-*

Zoony I consider myself told off in the nicest possible way. ;D ;D ;D
The only way is up....

stellamaris

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2020, 03:26:40 PM »
Well we all admire the way the likes of Singapore and Taiwan did things - they are geared up for, closer to, intermingle more with China and the Chinese viruses.  They have a regime that automatically kicks-in when these situations arise.

What other European country, or any developed western country immediately adopted these methods? None, to my knowledge.  To use a cliché we are where we are.  The west is obsessed with civil rights and mass protest marches and governments have been pandering to them and minority groups for decades.  It's only now they are screeching for strict government edicts.   Another hackneyed phrase: "What are we like? ;D "

We reap what we sow.   There's another one ;D
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Bee

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2020, 03:40:58 PM »
The only way is up....

crabbyob

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2020, 03:44:54 PM »
so to sum things up
its all the fault of the snowflakes.. ;D ;D ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Bee

« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2020, 03:44:54 PM »
The only way is up....

Walter

« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2020, 03:51:16 PM »
If our Police shout at someone use a Baton CS Spray Taser or heaven forbid shoot an armed criminal the Liberal Elite, the Far Left, some of the Media and Luvvies are over them like a rash clamouring for their heads on a platter.

The only time they haven't is when they have recently shot terrorists.
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

Diasi

« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2020, 03:54:36 PM »

100% agreement from me.

So Bee, although I'm a member of the Conservative Party, it doesn't mean that'll I'll always agree with everything they do.

What your post said today is no more than what I've been thinking for over six weeks.

You'll get no complaints from me if you think that the Government has got anything wrong.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)