Author Topic: Sir Max Hastings speaks  (Read 385 times)

digitalis

Sir Max Hastings speaks
« on: Mar 26, 2020, 02:04:29 PM »
Is it just me that thinks Sir 'Mighty' Max Hastings is a waste of 6' 2" blood and bones? I would mention brains,but that I see no evidence for them. He appeared on the World at One today saying that the elderly had stolen everything from the younger generation and that...well...it might be better for the young,for the economy to let c19 manage some rationalization.

I dont know about PFs readers here,but I woz never given anything in my youth by HMG. Nor was my mother and father. Nor was my class. Rather,I believe I was raped by the likes of Sir Max's educated elite and HMG and GB. Is it height that makes a clot? I've read tidbits from his books and many published articles,but they seem extremely tedious and pedestrian. Yes,inducements to coma and deep sleep. Nothing more.

On broadcast he seemed to imply the general public over 70 had never had it so good,and must expect to be culled for their offsprings future prosperity.

Is he havin a larf? Or does he mean he downsize from his 2 million squid home to one 1.5. For sure the average Joe north of Watford I don't see has having eaten all the pie. Perhaps Nicolas Soames ate my bit(present waistline 84 inch girth. Soiled Y fronts)

Has anyone here ever read the tosh that he writes? Had "the monster" a brain? His labored walk suggests many signs of idiocy(a past medical term). I think he's paid 40k for a piece for a column in the DT or DM. Autumn Colours or Why my dog likes a walk in the Park,headlines the sorta tripe he writes.

Is this bloke for real? Any ex military men here who he's helped hamper whilst he's had to be carried by them.

I don't like to be disrespectful,but the bloke appear a real stool.Sorry.

crabbyob

Re: Sir Max Hastings speaks
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2020, 02:50:40 PM »
i have no idea who he is.... but i would like to know just how old he is
perhaps he could be first to throw himself onto the pyre
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

crabbyob

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2020, 02:52:47 PM »
i just googled him he is 74... what a [censored] he must be
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2020, 03:19:36 PM »
I caught him in mid-rant, gave it a couple of minutes then switched him off..A complete and patronising arse..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Jacqueline

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2020, 06:07:41 PM »
Maybe he was born with a silver spoon, I wasnt, everything husband and I have got now had been worked for, no large inheritances, my parents didn't own a house or have much money. same goes for everyone of my generation who I know.

I didnt hear what he said, but we certainly haven't stollen from the young, they have far better education opportunities than we ever had. Anything we leave behind will be inherited by them eventually, I don't understand what he means.

Scrumpy

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2020, 06:20:05 PM »

A prat with the wrong title.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2020, 06:39:58 PM »
Could almost be pronounced the same just with a soft 'c' sound substituted by a hard one. Nobody, government or otherwise, ever gave me a penny - I worked damned hard for what I have
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2020, 06:40:57 PM »
Just in case I didn't make myself clear - not unusual - KIR rather than SIR
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2020, 07:05:10 PM »
Some sort of journalist isn't he?

stellamaris

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2020, 07:15:47 PM »
I had hoped we'd heard the last of such claptrap as "the old have stolen from the young".  For one thing the young have not got anything yet, so there is nothing to steal from them.   It would be better if they said that the young want everything you have and they want it now.  Max Hasting a.k.a Pompous Fart should know better than to speak trendy, meaningless shibboleths.

The general trend has always been that the old give all they have to their young and so it goes on through the generations.   There are spectacular incidences of the opposite when the very rich have withheld everything from their own family and given it to some young wife/nurse. Or they have used it to manipulate their offspring. I suppose that goes for all misers with a bit of money, but it is not the average.

He is probably saying it in a last ditch attempt to be relevant and controversial. 
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

mick607

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2020, 07:38:47 PM »
Some sort of journalist isn't he?
No just an arse hole.

Johned

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2020, 08:24:57 PM »
I think I have read all his War History books which he makes very readable; in fact I have heard him described as a "populist" Historian in that he omits the boring detail.  Other than that, I know nought of him.  I did not see World at One today but had I heard him say the things he is reputed to have uttered, I might have thrown a brick through the screen in my ire!  Is his perverse attitude due to many oldies having voted for Brexit I wonder?   

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2020, 09:12:49 PM »
It wasn't so much what he said John, much of which I agreed with him on, it was the way he was saying it. I wasn't paying too much attention to his banging on so I don't remember the detail..I'm sure some clever beggar will find the clip..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.