Author Topic: Council Tax During Crisis  (Read 1778 times)

Diasi

Re: Council Tax During Crisis
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2020, 07:09:47 AM »
I must say that I enjoy the two month 'holiday' I know it doesn't really make any difference but it somehow seems to
Mike

I nearly said that in my post, we look forward to that.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2020, 07:17:45 AM »
We actually pay ours over 12 months.  It keeps the accounting simple.  ::)
We get no choice if you chose DD the council does it over 10 months.
So long and thanks for all the fish

brian54

« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2020, 07:21:11 AM »
i think they should send a bill for genuine council services and another one called scroungers tax for council houses etc.

Diasi

« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2020, 07:29:52 AM »
We get no choice if you chose DD the council does it over 10 months.

Our council uses the 10 months as well, I've never seen a 12 month option, anyway it's easier to divide by 10. ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ashy

« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2020, 08:32:59 AM »
i think they should send a bill for genuine council services and another one called scroungers tax for council houses etc.
I think they give you a breakdown with the first bill. They've had me on the verge of one for the last 50 years.

klondike

« Reply #20 on: Mar 28, 2020, 08:34:56 AM »
Blast. The bog roll shortage means I can't check back  :(

Ashy

« Reply #21 on: Mar 28, 2020, 08:59:34 AM »
That gives me a wonderful idea. I can photocopy a roll of toilet paper.

klondike

« Reply #22 on: Mar 28, 2020, 09:01:55 AM »
With ideas like that I'm surprised you aren't a millionaire Ashy. Or perhaps you are? You could run off multiple copies and send us all some.

Ashy

« Reply #23 on: Mar 28, 2020, 09:32:05 AM »
Oh no I am not a millionaire. I am as poor as a church mouse. I just had this flash of inspiration. I thought, why copy my last year's tax bill to use in the toilet, you know, when I could copy the real thing. It would be far more comfortable to use, I thought.

GrannyMac

« Reply #24 on: Mar 28, 2020, 09:49:26 AM »

Brian, council tax does not pay for council housing.  Helpful to know your facts.  😉
You may however be pleased to know that it helps pay final salary pensions. In fact that takes quite a chunk. 😳
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

GrannyMac

« Reply #25 on: Mar 28, 2020, 09:54:04 AM »
Our council uses the 10 months as well, I've never seen a 12 month option, anyway it's easier to divide by 10. ;D

Most councils offer the option, but its not widely advertised.  I started paying it out of my salary when I worked for the local authority.
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/how-to-save-money-on-your-council-tax-bill#paying-your-council-tax-over-12-months-instead-of-10

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #26 on: Mar 28, 2020, 10:00:36 AM »

Brian, council tax does not pay for council housing.  Helpful to know your facts. 😉
You may however be pleased to know that it helps pay final salary pensions. In fact that takes quite a chunk. 😳
Come, come, you can't expect Brian to change to habit of a lifetime!
Mike 😁😁😁
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #27 on: Mar 28, 2020, 11:35:08 AM »
The vast majority of social housing is not provided by councils any more. Council tax pays for things that ordinary decent people would not wish to pay for though. Things like their private newspapers and vanity projects.

brian54

« Reply #28 on: Mar 28, 2020, 11:53:30 AM »

Brian, council tax does not pay for council housing.  Helpful to know your facts.  😉
I dont object to the final salary pension schemes. They were paid for by employees who wanted to contribute. Dad did well out of the council pension scheme as it was paying him for 36 years. Mum did ok. It paid her for 28 years.
I know an ex council pensions manager and he is concerned about the amount of employees who opted out of the scheme. Dad was told he was a fool paying in to the pension scheme and I was. I think a lot of the people I worked with are regretting the day they decided not to join the pension scheme.

GrannyMac

« Reply #29 on: Mar 28, 2020, 12:41:06 PM »
I dont object to the final salary pension schemes. They were paid for by employees who wanted to contribute. Dad did well out of the council pension scheme as it was paying him for 36 years. Mum did ok. It paid her for 28 years.
I know an ex council pensions manager and he is concerned about the amount of employees who opted out of the scheme. Dad was told he was a fool paying in to the pension scheme and I was. I think a lot of the people I worked with are regretting the day they decided not to join the pension scheme.

About 1/3 of council tax goes to these pensions which are very generous to long servers.  I don't think they can remain as they are for much longer.  The NHS and Civil Service have already changed their pension schemes.

R. Gervais