Author Topic: Surviving Wuhan Flu Has Just Become A Lottery.  (Read 1484 times)

Diasi

Surviving Wuhan Flu Has Just Become A Lottery.
« on: Mar 30, 2020, 10:04:32 AM »
But not for the Royals I bet.

https://bit.ly/2WPlncx
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

biglouis

Re: Surviving Wuhan Flu Has Just Become A Lottery.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2020, 10:11:41 AM »
It sounds harsh but being put on a ventilator is very invasive. If someone has a serious underlying health condition then they may have died anyway without the wuhan flu. As I understand it wuhan flu in its extreme condition can destroy lung tissue and cause vital organs such as liver and kidney to fail.

Reports from Italy state that some patients have been on ventilators for 20 days of more and still cannot be "weaned off". Even then it may be weeks before they can be sent home, thus tying up scarce resources for others. At the same time this may deny an opportunity to someone with better odds of survival or who might recover more quickly. That person may not necessarily be a "younger" one because younger people can also have underlying health problems.

It is the medical equivalent of saying "business is business".

But as you say, not for the royals and I can see anger and resentment mounting up as the weeks and months go on.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Jacqueline

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2020, 10:33:56 AM »
My son said to me the other day.  One ventilator, me and Prince Charles, who would get the ventilator?

Ashy

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2020, 10:38:13 AM »
Toss for it? I can lend you a coin, I don't think the royals carry them.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2020, 11:34:44 AM »
Double headed?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2020, 11:36:14 AM »
It sounds harsh but being put on a ventilator is very invasive. If someone has a serious underlying health condition then they may have died anyway without the wuhan flu.
Big Louis
Numbers of Deaths is the only variable the scientists have to work with, and they use this figure to determine infection rates - Deaths being proportional to infection rates.
So those that die are either:
"Infected when they die" or "the virus is what killed them".  "Infected when they die" means an underlying condition killed them, not the virus.
It turns out that very few people die as a consequence of the virus, most die from other underlying causes.

Whatever the cause of death we know they were all infected when they died, so we can use viral death numbers to indicate changes in infection rates - generally done over a 7 to 14 day period.  We don't look for outlier numbers but to numbers clustered around the median.

crabbyob

« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2020, 11:39:03 AM »
well said that man
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

biglouis

« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2020, 11:44:22 AM »
It turns out that very few people die as a consequence of the virus, most die from other underlying causes.

Presumably these underlying causes are then exacerbated as the immune system goes into overdrive to cause the so called cytokine storm.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2020, 11:47:14 AM »

Is that not precisely what I've been saying & what the Sky News medical statistics report said?
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

richmond62

« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2020, 11:50:09 AM »
My niece who stays in Sutton (South London) has just gone through 9 days of hell
with the C-virus. She rang and rang the helpline: nothing at all: now is cursing
the NHS, understandably.

Walter

« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2020, 11:55:59 AM »
It sounds harsh but being put on a ventilator is very invasive. If someone has a serious underlying health condition then they may have died anyway without the wuhan flu. As I understand it wuhan flu in its extreme condition can destroy lung tissue and cause vital organs such as liver and kidney to fail.

Reports from Italy state that some patients have been on ventilators for 20 days of more and still cannot be "weaned off". Even then it may be weeks before they can be sent home, thus tying up scarce resources for others. At the same time this may deny an opportunity to someone with better odds of survival or who might recover more quickly. That person may not necessarily be a "younger" one because younger people can also have underlying health problems.

It is the medical equivalent of saying "business is business".

But as you say, not for the royals and I can see anger and resentment mounting up as the weeks and months go on.

It is very invasive they have to put the patient into an induce coma if you survive that it is pot luck.

Just been watching the News on trial now in University College London

Formula One engineers make new coronavirus breathing aid in 4 days https://mol.im/a/8166455 via @MailOnline
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2020, 11:56:39 AM »
My niece who stays in Sutton (South London) has just gone through 9 days of hell
with the C-virus. She rang and rang the helpline: nothing at all: now is cursing
the NHS, understandably.

I know someone who's been ill with all the symptoms of Wuhan Flu but the NHS won't test him & nor will they admit him to hospital, despite several visits from the paramedics when he couldn't breath.

It is very invasive they have to put the patient into an induce coma if you survive that it is pot luck.

Just been watching the News on trial now in University College London

Formula One engineers make new coronavirus breathing aid in 4 days https://mol.im/a/8166455 via @MailOnline

Yes, it works on the same principle as the positive pressure helmets seen in the Italian hospitals.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2020, 12:06:18 PM »
Presumably these underlying causes are then exacerbated as the immune system goes into overdrive to cause the so called cytokine storm.
Big Louis,
It is what the medics record as the cause of death - I don't believe  they imput secondary causes

Diasi

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2020, 12:15:05 PM »
Big Louis,
It is what the medics record as the cause of death - I don't believe  they imput secondary causes

They do on the death certificate, well on the one's I've seen.

klondike

« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2020, 12:16:06 PM »
Yes I was considering posting that myself.
So long and thanks for all the fish