Author Topic: lockdown india  (Read 766 times)

crabbyob

lockdown india
« on: Mar 30, 2020, 04:07:21 PM »
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Ashy

Re: lockdown india
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2020, 05:01:40 PM »
Hmm. Don't quite know what to make of that.

klondike

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2020, 10:00:01 AM »
 From what I read there are millions trekking back to their home villages and doubtless some will be taking the infection with them. It will be a public health disaster and a catastrophe for India.
So long and thanks for all the fish

crabbyob

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2020, 11:01:57 AM »
as soon as it all began and we were warned what NOT to do, i thought it would be a plague in India..
i fear for all my friends, i considered spending Xmas in Tamil Nadu, then as usual decided 'next year' sigh now it looks like there will be no next year for so many of us nor them...
i think it will decimate that amazing place, and i pray for them..... and us..
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Scrumpy

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2020, 11:09:35 AM »

It must be sad for you crabby.. I too hope your friends stay safe..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Sheila

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2020, 11:20:09 AM »
We had booked Christmas in India because we had such a lovely time last year.  So sad.  It very much looks like that was our last time there.  The people are lovely and where we were, very dependant on tourists.

There is a little village close to the hotel and the residents were against a hotel being built.  Then the hotel promised to train the young people in silver service.  They do this and I'm told some of these young people go on to work on cruise ships.  As we walked to the village, locals would wave and smile.

One day a manager from the hotel took us on a nature walk.  This included a visit to a shed where ladies take the white from their coconuts to be pressed.  The first pressing produces virgin coconut oil and the second pressing is kept separate.  The remains are taken for cattle feed.

We are so lucky.  I just can't imagine being poor and in India at the moment.

crabbyob

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2020, 11:23:30 AM »
its not just the Indians Scrumpy, there are so many Brits stuck there, i was informed that there would only be one more flight after mine...a side plot here my cheapest return ticket to India was £279...yes amazing but my single ticket home cost over £800, a sellers market, a couple i know were offered seats on a flight not first class, nor business but economy, for £3000.... thats why so many got left behind, it wasnt because they were enjoying their hols so much, there were simply not enough flights... now my return flight is due to leave on the 2nd April, and yet to date i have not been informed of any cancellations [as soon as i know it didnt fly i will try and claim the money back]

Diasi

Re: Lockdown India
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2020, 12:14:46 PM »
Hmm. Don't quite know what to make of that.

To me it shows how well constructed the balconies are.

This included a visit to a shed where ladies take the white from their coconuts to be pressed.

Sounds like something out of a Benny Hill sketch.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

biglouis

« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2020, 01:23:46 PM »
I thought my neighbours were just back from India but I was mistaken. The voices I heard in the garden were Mrs Gunga Dins daughter and her children. She has come up here to look after the house because her mum and dad are "stuck" in India!

She is very worried about her dad as he has a bad heart and is running out of medication. Apparently if you visit the pharmacy the police will whack you with a stick first and listen to the explanation later. It doesnt matter if you are old, young or whatever.

The husband is down London way because he works there but he brought his wife and kids up here because he thought they would be safer looking after the parents house. I asked her what she is doing for food. The feezer is full and the local temple is going to arrange a delivery of basics for her later in the week, but she is short of bread, eggs and milk.

I dont use eggs but I gave here a pack of longlife milk and a frozen loaf which she can thaw in the microwave. I have a delivery from Tesco on Friday so if there is anything she needs I can try to get it for her.Money is not a problem as she has a Paypal account and I do not use the "upto 80" items you are allowed by Tesco.

Maybe I can reconnect my relationship with my neighbours via their daughter.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

GrannyMac

« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2020, 02:16:01 PM »
That might be a good thing BL.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2020, 02:18:55 PM »

Maybe I can reconnect my relationship with my neighbours via their daughter.

Sounds like a plan.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Jacko70

« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2020, 04:57:02 PM »
How do you lock down 1.3 billion people?
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

crabbyob

« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2020, 05:34:13 PM »
use religion... :o

klondike

« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2020, 05:40:41 PM »
There are a lot of competing religions in India. I can't see how any effective lockdown is going to happen there. A huge calamity unless some sort of miracle happens. Let's hope the heat slows it down.

As an aside I looked at the top few CV affected countries graphs and they all seem to be showing signs of flattening so their lockdowns are working. Ours isn't really yet but I'm sure it will.
So long and thanks for all the fish

crabbyob

« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2020, 05:44:34 PM »
one of the big problems could be that only the rich middle and upper classes can afford not to work, and so can isolate... but they will all have maids... who will still be trying to go out shopping...mmmmm