Author Topic: Models  (Read 913 times)

Yellowbird

Models
« on: Apr 04, 2020, 06:30:53 AM »
Sorry Gents I mean card and paper models.  As something to relieve the boredom of being shut in I have bought online a cardboard model of some old buildings to made, there are also aeroplane and ship models  They are very tiny and scoring, cutting out and sticking the bits together,very messy but good time user, and surprisingly satisfying when it works, it and Scrabble are helping the isolation (and G&T)
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Johned

Re: Models
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2020, 03:18:54 PM »
That sounds intriguing Yellowbird, can you give us the make of the kits and some prices; also the source of supply?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2020, 04:57:05 PM »
There used to be a series - this would be some 70 years ago - called Micro Models. I managed a locomotive about three or four inches long, but a sailing ship, may have been the Santa Maria, totally defeated me
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2020, 05:00:58 PM »
Never did any paper models but I used to love playing with leggo and meccano sets that belonged to an uncle of mine who died young.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2020, 05:03:38 PM »
Meccano was too expensive for us, but there was a cheap and cheerful alternative which we had. Can’t remember the name  - Juneero?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Jacqueline

« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2020, 05:20:37 PM »
When I was a kid I used to love cut out paper dolls with clothes you fixed on with tabs.  I started drawing and making extra dresses for them.  I then progressed to making my own model like ladies with my own designs of clothes, evening dresses etc.  I made hundreds of them I was still doing them into my early teens.

I wanted to be a dress designer, but realised there as more to dress design than drawing and  you had to sew and make the clothes.  I would have liked to go to college to do this but it wasn't something the nuns at my school encouraged, and my parents didn't know about such things, perhaps I wasn't  ambitious enough. 

I landed up at secretarial school and did clerical work all my life.  Most girls at my school aspired to be a teacher, nurse or secretary before they got married and had kids.

Recently I have found books with wonderful cut out dolls, with fashions from Victorian, 1920s, 30s etc.  I even found one with Jane Austin fashion and swinging 60s, I'm a big kid with these!

Yellowbird

« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2020, 06:07:25 AM »
After several hours of frustration with tiny bits of card,covering myself with glue and the floor with tiny bits of paper I have decided paper models are not for me, so have returned to my watercolour painting, badly as usual but more satisfying, you can wash paint off.   hey ho

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2020, 07:23:44 AM »
I'm rubbish at handicrafts. My mother embroidered beautifully, I'm looking now at a firescreen she made in the 1930s.  She also knitted and made clothes for me. I have only ever completed one jumper. I started it for my first child, and finished it for the second.  I find it boring. 

I'd much rather read a book, or do a puzzle. Or go out....😃
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

klondike

« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2020, 09:57:20 AM »
you can wash paint off.
When my grandson was still a toddler and we were looking after him we thought a handprint greeting for his mother would be a nice thing to make. We had some premixed poster paint which we'd bought from Asda years back but never used. There was a nice blue so we dipped his hand in, wiped off the excess and plonked it on a card. A few nice words I no longer recall completed the job.

Then came the handwashing. The damned paint had stained his little hand and nothing would shift it. Not even a bit of pumice stone used gently.

We explained to his mum and although there was no explosion I'm sure she was far from impressed. No harm done though. It is only 10 years later and most of it has worn off now.  :)
So long and thanks for all the fish

Yellowbird

« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2020, 02:14:35 PM »
By the way if anyone is interested the model came from ebay by   D G Models
‘THE GUILD HALL AND DICK TURPIN'S COTTAGE THAXTED’ It did look fun but not for impatient me

biglouis

« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2020, 02:23:37 PM »
Yes I loved paper dolls that you cut out as well. My grandmother bought me a Queen Elizabeth I one and it was that which got me interested in historic costume. After that there was no stopping me and I must have borrowed every book in the library on costume and fashion.
Long before my teens I used to spend my pocket money on bits of jewellery from second hand shops. Then when I began work in the libraries and had all that research material to hand I became an avid collector of antique and vintage jewellery.

So the cut out model dolls were partly responsible for the interests I have today!
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.