Author Topic: Shetland Series  (Read 1117 times)

Audrine

Shetland Series
« on: Apr 19, 2020, 06:24:53 PM »
I watched this last night & thought how good it was. I looked it up & found it was an old series which dated back 2013. Not knowing anything about the Shetland island. I was impressed by the actors that were in it, especially Douglas Henshall & of course the scenery & beauty of  the island.
Apparently it belongs to Scotland so does that mean British law does not apply to their citizens ?

Anyway, I am sure most of you have already seen it ifnot take my word for it. Good  show! Stay healthy my friends. Audrine

Dayjo

Re: Shetland Series
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2020, 07:57:31 PM »
I have watched all the series to date, and enjoyed them all.
 Though, I admit to having a crush, on Tosh.....  ::)
David, Christine, + Mia...... NE Derbyshire.

Life happens, when you connect with people.
Not, constantly working to be better, or to have more......

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2020, 07:59:46 PM »
Oddly enough, whilst I thoroughly enjoyed it, Veronica didn't much go for it.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Raven

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2020, 08:02:07 PM »
I loved the series, especially as I know Shetland well. It's strange seeing places your so familiar with on the telly. I wish they'd hurry up with the next series.  ;)

Johned

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2020, 08:12:52 PM »
I, too enjoyed this series and Douglas Henshall was correctly cast as the local DI.  I found I emphathised with all of the actors which in many drama series is not always the case.  For instance, I watched Scott and Bayley for about five minutes and gave it a definite thumbs down and changed channels!

Audrine

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2020, 10:09:36 PM »
I liked Scott & Bailey but not so much as Shetland.Cheers Audrine

Beautiful scenery & the plot was really good.

Traveller

« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2020, 01:58:00 PM »
Audrine, remember Scotland is still a part of the UK so in many cases UK laws apply. In some areas however, Scots law varies  from English law. 

It's interesting to see places that you know well on TV.  I'm not familiar with Shetland, but this area of Aberdeenshire has been used as the setting for several films and TV series.   The drama series 'Stonemouth' was filmed mainly in Macduff and surrounding area, while the remake of Whisky Galore was made further along the coast in Portsoy. 
You'll have had your tea.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2020, 02:19:55 PM »
I really liked ‘Shetland’, but for some reason she could never explain and I could never understand, Veronica couldn’t stand it, so I used to record it and watch it when she was out
Mike  :'(
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2020, 02:56:40 PM »
I, too enjoyed this series and Douglas Henshall was correctly cast as the local DI.  I found I emphathised with all of the actors which in many drama series is not always the case.  For instance, I watched Scott and Bayley for about five minutes and gave it a definite thumbs down and changed channels!

Me too til I read the books!  Jimmy Perez is supposed to have Spanish ancestry and is described as olive skinned and swarthy.  I think Douglas Henshall is great in the part, but now as I'm reading the books, I find it difficult to see Perez in the way Ann Cleeves describes him.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Traveller

« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2020, 04:48:21 PM »
Perez was supposed to be descended from a survivor of the Spanish armada.  Since this was in the 16th. century, the blood line would be very dilute by now and I doubt if he would look in the least Spanish. 

I think there was a suggestion in one of the books that the Fair Isle style of knitting was introduced by the Spanish.
You'll have had your tea.

Diasi

« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2020, 05:46:50 PM »

Me too til I read the books!  Jimmy Perez is supposed to have Spanish ancestry and is described as olive skinned and swarthy.  I think Douglas Henshall is great in the part, but now as I'm reading the books, I find it difficult to see Perez in the way Ann Cleeves describes him.

Blimey, was the series really written during the reign of Henry V111?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2020, 05:49:40 PM »
 :) ;D
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

richmond62

« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2020, 06:39:38 PM »
"Apparently it belongs to Scotland so does that mean British law does not apply to their citizens ?"

What on earth is "British law"?  Certainly a new one on me.

Scotland is subject to Scots law, which is derived from Roman law.

England and Wales is subject to English law which is based on tradition and precedent.

Shetland is an odd place (legally) as it has both Scots law and Udal law:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udal_law