Author Topic: Office Of national Statistics  (Read 5863 times)

klondike

Re: Office Of national Statistics
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 09:28:17 AM »
From the sound of it the ONS will have to avoid breweries for their Christmas bashes..  :(
So long and thanks for all the fish

Walter

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 09:59:39 AM »
Not really Alex.  The swab is taken in the throat and then both nostrils (same swab).  This did put me off a bit at first, but I soon got over that.  The swab is like a big Q tip which you push carefully into the throat until a gagging sensation is felt, twisting the swab to collect mucus, then push into each nostril until slight resistance is felt, twirling the swab at the same time.

Not exactly what I would have chosen, but if the data collected is useful, it is worth it.

Mike.X

Wife and her close friend and work colleague who had a rise in temperature went for the test last week , she describe it as not unpleasant done exactly as you stated above , sample stick snapped off no problem.

Results came back within 72 hours thankfully both clear   
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 12:32:29 PM »
Good news!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Walter

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 03:12:40 PM »
Indeed , hope it stays that way
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

xetog

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2020, 06:14:36 PM »
Keeping you all up to date, it appears that I have swabbed positive for Covid-19! 

I had a call from our surgery just now to say that my last swab (6 days ago) has just come back to our surgery to say that I have tested positive.  They have as yet had no results for my wife, so she may not have it.

This leaves us with the conundrum of where I could have caught it?  We have been self Isolating for over 8 weeks now and the only people to come into the house have been the test nurses 4 and 6 weeks ago (last weeks nurse did not enter the building as I described in my last report).  We do handle shopping deliveries, but clean scrupulously before storing it away.

So there we are folks, or more correctly, there I am.  It could of course be a false positive, but I would assume they would have done a further check before telling me.  Lets see if the study nurse comes in over the next few days.

Watch this space.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

klondike

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 06:23:03 PM »
Given what you have said my money would be on contamination of your sample. If you had a positive test 6 days ago then I'd expect some symptoms by now from someone your age. Plus if you are positive I'd say that there is virtually no chance of your wife not being positive too so her results will be interesting.

It's things like this that put me off bothering with the NHS app. Somebody I was near in a shop getting a positive result and I have to self isolate? No thanks. If I get infected I imagine I'll know soon enough and being told a day or two early is unlikely to help anyone.

zoony

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 06:28:01 PM »
I very much agree with Klondike..And it took 6 days to inform you of the positive result?..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

xetog

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2020, 06:41:58 PM »
Klondike.  One would assume that since this is a special study they would check the result carefully.  Unless I got it from the study nurse, who took my blood, it's a real puzzle.  The last time I saw that first nurse was 13 days ago & I obviously didn't test +ve then unless it has taken a very long time to come through, in which case I would be now out of danger.  There will be another nurse coming either tomorrow or Friday so I will ask her.

Zoony, It is not an ordinary test.  It has to go back to Oxford and through the bureaucracy there before being spit out to my surgery and me.

Mike.X

Sheila

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2020, 06:43:31 PM »
That's a worry Mike.  Are you feeling well? 

Jacqueline

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2020, 06:48:58 PM »
Keeping you all up to date, it appears that I have swabbed positive for Covid-19! 

I had a call from our surgery just now to say that my last swab (6 days ago) has just come back to our surgery to say that I have tested positive.  They have as yet had no results for my wife, so she may not have it.

This leaves us with the conundrum of where I could have caught it?  We have been self Isolating for over 8 weeks now and the only people to come into the house have been the test nurses 4 and 6 weeks ago (last weeks nurse did not enter the building as I described in my last report).  We do handle shopping deliveries, but clean scrupulously before storing it away.

So there we are folks, or more correctly, there I am.  It could of course be a false positive, but I would assume they would have done a further check before telling me.  Lets see if the study nurse comes in over the next few days.

Watch this space.

Mike.X

This is very worrying Mike, have you felt unwell or had any symptoms?   If its correct how on earth have you caught it other than the nurse or contaminated shopping?  I hope your wife is OK.

xetog

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2020, 07:18:18 PM »
Jacqueline.  One has to be fairly philosophical about these things, clearly I don't want to be ill, but will take it on the chin if I must.  I have not felt unwell at all.  My wife insists that I have been my usual aggravating self for the last 8 weeks. Symptoms?  None. No sore throat, no fever, pulse -Ox 97% a 78bpm.  No headaches, no tiredness, no 'nuffink'.  If I do develop any, you will be first to know (well I guess I aught to tell my wife first). 

Mike.X

klondike

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2020, 10:15:10 PM »
Klondike.  One would assume that since this is a special study they would check the result carefully. 
If the sample was contaminated they could check it afterward as carefully and often as they liked and it would still be positive. DNA evidence (which is what this is) is only as good as the handling of the samples.

If it turns out that you were indeed infected and are asymptomatic then I'd  say for someone past the first flush that is probably unusual. If you add to that living 24x7 with a woman of presumably similar years who also still shows no symptoms we are talking about something close to miraculous. I think a clean shaven fellow named Occum might have his own ideas about this.

Glen

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 05:14:13 PM »
If it isn't a false positive, could you both have antibodies and have it so mildly you don't notice. Obviously, both truely exceptional!

xetog

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 07:29:08 PM »
Truly it would be exceptional!  However we are where we are with the information to hand.  We have both been tested today for the 4th time, so we will see what the results are.  Those of us who are giving blood monthly are being given antibody tests to see whether we have had the disease, so I assume that someday I will find out.  Unfortunately I don't seem to have a route to express my concerns as there is no phone number or email address for the labs doing the test and my GP is as clueless as I am.

Method in this madness is slowly becoming clearer.  Once initiated into the system with a swab and a blood test, the phlebotomist will visit only once per month to take my blood and take swabs. For visits 2,3,4 & 5 in the first month only just a non-medical visitors who stand outside the front door, hand over two swab kits and ask some simple questions.  All results are supposedly reported to my GP.

I however am stuck in a quandary at present.  As I am currently considered Positive, I must completely isolate, I am not even allowed out to exercise.  Until I have overcome the symptoms or tested negative, I must not leave the house.  Luckily I have had another test today and will have results from that, probably Monday next week. If, as expected, I test -ve then I am free to return to simply 'over 70's' isolation.  If I test +ve, then I am in a quandary.

I am however quite confident that I have not had Corvid-19 and all will eventually be resolved.

Mike.X

zoony

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 07:53:19 PM »
I do hope things turn out well Mike..So few things are straightforward at the moment..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.