Author Topic: Bootable linox on usb stick.  (Read 1912 times)

Cee Gee

Bootable linox on usb stick.
« on: May 03, 2020, 05:22:39 PM »
Every time I use youtube an ad comes up for a usb stick with a fast OS. The OS is linux which is free. I thought I would try it. Instead of paying the inflated price and having a couple of USB 32Gb sticks I have made my own bootable sticks. Has anyone done this and used them ......because a I have not got the balls to try them. By going into the bios I can set up open with USB and it should then run the mirror linux OS on the pen drive, When you remove the usb stick it should then revert to boot by disk and boot windows. BUT can something go wrong and [censored] up the bios? Anyone care to comment? :-\

mick607

Re: Bootable linox on usb stick.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 06:02:53 PM »
No, the first boot option with go to the second boot option if the first option is not there.I would put the USB drive as the first option then the second I would set to the C drive.

Cee Gee

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 06:27:00 PM »
No, the first boot option with go to the second boot option if the first option is not there.I would put the USB drive as the first option then the second I would set to the C drive.

That was what I meant Mick but you put it better. :)

Ashy

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 07:20:09 PM »
If you have a spare computer that it won't matter if it changes something, try it on there first. I don't know any reason why it should not work fine if the hardware and OS are compatible. The problems I have had in similar circumstances are the new OS hasn't recognised the hard disk. Let us know please as it could be a useful tool for the future.

Cee Gee

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 07:31:47 PM »
As I beleive it Ashy The computer hard drive is not used the bios runs linux  within the USB stick. Could be wrong as I am new to linux. :)

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 10:35:28 AM »
The Basic Input Output System reads the medium for an operating system and transfers control to that master program. Whilst it must have found and use the BIOS (ROM), RAM and the CPU, there is no guarantee that it will "see" any other storage devices, so you might have to configure it yourself(?). I don't know if your Linux will do this automatically. I very nearly found out though, because I got very fed up with Windows 7 not recognising my administrator account. (That's another story). What puts me off trying Linux is that most programs are available for Windows and Mac OS, I don't think I have ever seen a third option for Linux, assuming you need one.

mick607

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 11:35:50 AM »
I had a brief dabble with Linux but the lack of my workable programs working with very few alternatives I ditched it.

Ashy

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 11:40:36 AM »
I assume Linux has at least one web browser available; for some users that would be all they wanted it for.

klondike

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 12:00:10 PM »
Linux has load of programs of all sorts available. Most distributions will include something that offers you a simple click install for some. Others you may need to find and manually install by searching and then following instructions which may or may not leave you with the program of your choice working.

https://www.howtogeek.com/191245/beginner-geek-how-to-install-software-on-linux/

I'm sure there used to be at least one Linux fan on here but maybe I'm thining of a different forum. I have at various times got annoyed with Windows and installed some version of Linux or other but have to date always reverted to Windows for my laptops and desktop.

If you do go for Linux and want to do something out of the usual run of the mill expect to spend some time on google finding out how and fixing strange annoying bugs . I'd also advise having some backup device to accesss the internet because sure as eggs is eggs you'll do something that bricks it and you'll have to reinstall ans start again because that's another annoying thing you'll find with linux - unless things have changed there is no reliable whole system backup the likes of Macrium Reflect which I use periodically to image my Windows machines in case of disaster.

You shouldn't mess anything up running Linux from a USB stick or for that matter even a DVD.
I'm guessing you'll have seen this or very similar - https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/try-ubuntu-before-you-install#1-getting-started

I use a command line only version of Linux on a Raspberry Pi where I use it to run a webserver. I relied heavily on google to set it up and overcome strange problems that cropped up.
So long and thanks for all the fish

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 01:06:06 PM »

I found the best way to play and learn Linux distributions is on a computer that is not your own  :)

I have had virtual machines with https://www.digitalocean.com/ since 2014 and the basic price has remained the same at $5/month. If you screw thing up and want to start afresh you just delete the droplet and spin up another, which takes about a minute. If you want to learn something new and keep your brain exercised this is as simple as it gets.

Cee Gee

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 03:57:57 PM »
Could not wait :)  so I tried it on my desktop.......and i now have a fully working version of linux Yipee 8) . One thing though is it picks up my computer hard drive as an extra storage device probably as it is hooked to the mother board. Now on a linux learning spree. ;D ;D

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 04:47:57 PM »
Well done CG I admire your spirit.

Cee Gee

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 05:01:18 PM »
Thanks Ashy :)

Cee Gee

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 11:56:19 PM »
Well a couple of days ago I picked up a cheap computer and i have dual booted Linux mint and windows 7. I am really getting into using Linux and find that I like it more than windows. i am using the new computer now to make this post, much better with 17" screen than my 14" one happy days. ;D ;D

Traveller

« Reply #14 on: Jul 01, 2020, 05:32:46 PM »
I recently bought a refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad and loaded Ubuntu 20.04.  I also use Chromium for browsing and Thunderbird for my mail.  In spite of the world's slowest broadband, it's a fast machine.  I dual booted Linux with Win 10 pro which was pre-installed. I also installed Classic Shell  and disabled Windows updates using the group policy editor. (Not that I am going to use Windows on-line).

I've been playing with Python 3 which is installed and 'Turtle' graphics to make pretty patterns.

You'll have had your tea.