Author Topic: Bootable linox on usb stick.  (Read 1913 times)

richmond62

Re: Bootable linox on usb stick.
« Reply #15 on: Jul 01, 2020, 07:36:52 PM »
"BUT can something go wrong and [censored] up the bios?"

Nothing will b*gger up the BIOS as the BIOS is stored somewhere completely differently from your hard disk.

If you decide to boot a computer using a USB stick (whether into a Linux type or something else) you are normally
given a choice:

1. Run a "live" session.

2. Install the thing onto your hard disk.

Whatever you want to do, I recommend you try option 1 first so you can get a feel of what the operating system is like.

Even if you install the system from your USB stick onto your hard disk it will NOT touch your BIOS at all.

richmond62

« Reply #16 on: Jul 01, 2020, 07:41:29 PM »
I had a brief dabble with Linux but the lack of my workable programs working with very few alternatives I ditched it.

That is the predictable load of cobblers that many ex-Windows users come up with, for one very, very simple reason:

Most Linux systems do not (any more than Windows does) come with this sort of program already installed:

1. An Office suite.
2. A Graphics program.
3. A video player.
4. A music player.
5. A semi-decent web-browser.

If I pop into a shop and buy a Windows install disk ALL I get is bare-bones Windows: so why people expect MORE from Linux escapes me.

All those programs I listed above can be easily downloaded and installed.

I have been running computers with Linux for 17 years without so much as a backward glance.

richmond62

« Reply #17 on: Jul 01, 2020, 07:44:24 PM »
"I'm sure there used to be at least one Linux fan on here"

There still is . . . and if anyone is 100% interested I can "knock together" a "prune's guide" to installing and setting
up Xubuntu (this is a variant of Ubuntu that sports an interface very, very similar indeed to Windows XP).