Author Topic: emphasis on using debit/credit cards,  (Read 1849 times)

Alfred

emphasis on using debit/credit cards,
« on: May 03, 2020, 06:49:50 PM »
With the current situation where by every one where possible is asked to use debit cards etc for safety reasons ,
could this be the future were by cash will slowly and gradually cease to be used .

Q; do you have any thoughts regarding cash versus credit/debit cards,

Ashy

Re: emphasis on using debit/credit cards,
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 07:12:43 PM »
I think it would be more accurate to say this might accelerate the process, because it's already happening.

klondike

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 07:50:40 PM »
Since contactless cards came on the scene it's rare for me to use cash. I don't think I have at all during lockdown.
So long and thanks for all the fish

mick607

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 07:54:39 PM »
With the current situation where by every one where possible is asked to use debit cards etc for safety reasons ,
could this be the future were by cash will slowly and gradually cease to be used .

Q; do you have any thoughts regarding cash versus credit/debit cards,

Excellent post Alf. This is exactly what the shops & banks want. Trouble is the scammers want this too.

granny moss

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 08:57:10 PM »
I use my card for shopping on line. Do not go to the shops. But I do need cash to pay for the goods that my daughter buys for me...But now I found that I can transfer the money I owe her, to her bank account....so, I do not know what will happen to ready money....gmx

GrannyMac

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 11:11:39 PM »
Credit card online, and for larger purchases.  I already use my debit card for small items.  Contactless speeds up the transactions, no need for PIN entry, or counting change.  The only cash I've spent since lockdown was to pay the window cleaner.  He's still working - at a distance!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

biglouis

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 11:12:33 PM »
I buy everything online and much prefer to pay with Paypal or a debit card. For foreign purchases its sometimes bank transfer since cards are less used in Europe.

I use cash only for taxi fares on the rare occasions I go out. And the taxi company now takes cards if you have a smartphone and download the app. If I need cash I bank transfer some to Chris and he gets it from the machine on the way down.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Jacqueline

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 12:17:27 AM »
I'm using my card to pay for online shopping, but before this I always drew out my housekeeping in cash.    If. we ever get back to normal I will carry on shopping with cash, I don't seem to spend so much.  I like real money in my purse.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 03:42:04 AM »
Me too, although in my case it’s the wallet. Because I am going out (other than for exercise) as little as possible, whereas before lockdown I would pop into the newsagent six days a week for the paper and whilst there perhaps buy a bottle of milk or the like (the paper is prepaid) and use cash for that and most small transactions, now I’save up’ buying things, go to the Co-op rather less than twice a week- dictated by the time milk and bread last - and pay by contactless card. Don’t like the idea of handling money at the moment
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

granny moss

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 05:21:41 AM »
I also use cash to by milk and bread and bananas when I need it. The rest is paid by card. gmx

biglouis

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 12:16:14 AM »
If people dont keep cash in the house what are burglars going to steal? I mean the kind that break in and threaten you for "the money". Cards are no good because as soon as they go you ring the bank and cancel them. And what if you dont wear expensive jewellery or possess high end smart phones or have a car? They are just going to be unlucky. Geeze, I feel so effing sorry for them. Not.
Breaking into houses, like breaking into banks, is going to become soooo last century dear.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

mick607

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 06:43:14 AM »
I buy everything online and much prefer to pay with Paypal or a debit card. For foreign purchases its sometimes bank transfer since cards are less used in Europe.

I use cash only for taxi fares on the rare occasions I go out. And the taxi company now takes cards if you have a smartphone and download the app. If I need cash I bank transfer some to Chris and he gets it from the machine on the way down.
Aren't Pay Pal known for high charges. They charge more than banks.
My son recently sold an item online for £50 & Pay Pal charged him £2 comission.
4% charge is expensive.

Hugh

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 04:42:11 PM »
The only time I use money is to pay the window cleaner and the milk man, other wise I have no use for it.

klondike

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 05:42:30 PM »
Aren't Pay Pal known for high charges. They charge more than banks.
My son recently sold an item online for £50 & Pay Pal charged him £2 comission.
4% charge is expensive.
Does he have a merchant account allowing him to take credit card payments? No? Then he has has the option of pickup only and taking cash but he may well not sell at all then and if he does the price is likely to be a lot lower. Alternately just bite the bullet on PayPal fees. And eBay fees too come to that. Nobody is likely to want to post off cheques these days as, apart from the lengthy delay, you have to trust that the seller won't just cash it and vanish. Paying by paypal protects the buyer.
So long and thanks for all the fish

mick607

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2020, 05:44:19 PM »
Does he have a merchant account allowing him to take credit card payments? No? Then he has has the option of pickup only and taking cash but he may well not sell at all then and if he does the price is likely to be a lot lower.Alternately just bite the bullet on PayPal fees. And eBay fees too come to that.
No he is not a merchant, just Joe public like most of us.  :(