Author Topic: emphasis on using debit/credit cards,  (Read 1857 times)

klondike

Re: emphasis on using debit/credit cards,
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2020, 05:51:42 PM »
So he has to suck it up.

From memory it's 20p transaction charge + a percentage. eBay used to charge listing fees but they seem to have mostly abandonned those in favour of higher final valuation fees. It costs quite a bit to sell your tat but the alternative is probably the charity shop or freezing your nuts off selling at a car boot. It's hardly worth the effort of putting a listing together for low value items as you also need to figure in the cost of posting and maybe even packaging. Most of my junk that is slightly too good for the bin is forming part of my childrens inheritance in the loft. They will probalby hire a skip to house it.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2020, 07:14:46 PM »
I know the feeling
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

granny moss

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2020, 05:45:49 AM »
I am slightly annoyed because the Bank has began to send me reminders that my card payment is due on....I always pay in full every statement, and surely it is a waste of money for paper and stamps to send out reminders ? Also, I have now two notifications that the interest on my savings will go down to 1%......I wonder if they charge 1% to lend the money ...... :D :D gmx

Michael Rolls

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2020, 06:22:30 AM »
One percent? There's posh! One of mine pays 0.1%!
Mike

granny moss

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2020, 06:37:04 AM »
Sorry....I am not totally awake yet..... :'(   I got the bit of paper here...You are right ! it is 0.01%...Even worse that I thought :'( :'( :'( I shall need to go and have a rest....after a drop of the strong stuff.....But Where else could one keep the money safe !!!!  For the children...? gmx

StephenM123

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2020, 06:37:43 AM »
One percent? There's posh! One of mine pays 0.1%!
Mike

I have one that now pays 0.01%. The problem is that it is handy for one regular payment so I just keep a minimal balance in it most of the time.

StephenM123

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2020, 06:44:37 AM »
What irritates me is that despite the push for contactless payment for two out of my last three purchases I have been asked to verify via PIN. And everyone has been close to home because if lockdown - the corner shop and chemist when I got a few items when I collected my repeat.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2020, 08:41:51 AM »
Just remembered I also have an account with the generous 0.01%. On the other hand, I do still have a couple of accounts paying 1.5% but they are limited to paying that on no more than £1,500 (when Veronica and I started those a few years back, they paid 5% on £3,000
Mike  :( :( :(

klondike

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2020, 09:12:05 AM »
What irritates me is that despite the push for contactless payment for two out of my last three purchases I have been asked to verify via PIN. And everyone has been close to home because if lockdown - the corner shop and chemist when I got a few items when I collected my repeat.
If you have a suitable phone you can use GooglePay or ApplePay so you won't get asked for a PIN ever. You just set it up to use whatever card as a source of funds you like.

sparky

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2020, 09:24:02 AM »
Santander 123 current account pays 1% 0n balances up to £20000, plus cash back on various ongoing DDs

klondike

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2020, 09:58:26 AM »
I suspect you've added a zero sparky but in any event...
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/05/santander-slashes-interest-on-its-123-account-again-to-0-6-/

Mine is becoming pretty useless but I suspect they all will be soon.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2020, 10:02:10 AM »
Yes, my Barclays Everyday saver which paid (IIRC) 3% when I opened it a few years back now pays 0.3%, which will reduce to 0.01% on July 20th - that's not an interest rate, that's an insult!
Mike

Hugh

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2020, 04:10:18 PM »
Savings accounts just a waste of time I only have a Nat West debit account.

sparky

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2020, 04:21:47 PM »
Klondike, yeah I see the interest rate has drop in the last couple of days, but it is still £20000 I believe,

klondike

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2020, 05:12:31 PM »
Fair enough. I was just going by most current accounts only giving interest on a few thousand. If it is £20k even 0.6% is better than most cash ISAs now or at least soon.

Just checked and yes it is £20k but there is a £5 monthly fee which takes the shine off. 0. 6% on 20k is only £120 and they want £60 back.