Author Topic: Don't panic. Don't panic. R you OK?  (Read 2019 times)

Flying bomb

Don't panic. Don't panic. R you OK?
« on: May 15, 2020, 07:05:47 PM »
The R value is now between .7 and ONE.  Blimey.
If the Buck stops here how can the Doe go all the way ?

Albert.

mick607

Re: Don't panic. Don't panic. R you OK?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 07:39:49 PM »
The R value is now between .7 and ONE.  Blimey.
Is that good or bad.?

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 07:52:15 PM »
0.4 surely?

klondike

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 08:19:33 PM »
They are including care homes in the calculation. Once it gets into one of those it's like shooting fish in a barrel for the virus.

Obvious in hindsight to realise that a bunch of highly vulnerable folk many of who suffer from dementia relying on workers often on or only just above minimum wage with no training in infection control and as often as not without English as a first language employed by companies who are essentially asset strippers out to make a fast buck is not a good mix.
So long and thanks for all the fish

zoony

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 08:41:50 PM »
Can I just say that a good carer is a good carer whichever language might be their native one and I've known many of both kinds. Your point about some of the owners is accurate enough though there are many that care though the key to it is a good manager. It's not all doom and gloom in every home.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 08:59:53 PM »
It's not every home that has the problem. Apparently  2/3 are covid free. Infection control is not entirely obvious and I wouldn't expect anybody to be 100% on it without training. Getting it just a bit wrong is probably enough.

Diasi

Re: Don't Panic. Don't Panic. R You OK?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 09:20:11 PM »
All these R statistics, like most of the Wuhan Flu statistics, are just computer model predictions or assumptions.

You know, the exact same type of computer model prediction that tells you will have a 100% 4G phone signal at your address when in fact you can't get any signal even in your garden.

If the death rate figures for Wuhan Flu are accurate it's very good news & shows that the population is very healthy, because since December 2019 hardly anyone has died from cancer, strokes, COPD, kidney failure, heart attacks or any illness other than Wuhan Flu.

So from December 2020 to April 2021 I expect to see hardly any deaths recorded in the UK.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 09:39:25 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

zoony

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 10:09:18 PM »
It's not every home that has the problem. Apparently  2/3 are covid free. Infection control is not entirely obvious and I wouldn't expect anybody to be 100% on it without training. Getting it just a bit wrong is probably enough.

The basics of barrier care are not complicated but do need quick action and the education of all involved. Often the problem is geographical with many older places. Difficult to organise and choreograph staff movements etc..A nightmare in a large home with minimal staff and frail residents. Oh, and a bit of PPE helps. Pound to a pinch of snuff that many managers will've been spending their own money at times..

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 10:15:28 PM »
The nursing home where my brain damaged nephew is have never been hot on infection control even just his. He's been in hospital with sepsis 7 times over the last few years mostly because they didn't keep his feeding PEG properly cleaned.

He has also had horrific bed sores as apparently they can't read the turn every couple of hours in his notes. Nor the no latex one where he suffered terrible allergy rashes.

zoony

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 11:08:15 PM »
I hate hearing stuff like that..No excuses, it's neglect pure and simple..

cowboy wisdom.

biglouis

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 01:30:18 AM »
Care homes are where you get sent to die by relatives who dont care.

They steal your money and give you a miserable little allowance.

Kill myself first.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

GrannyMac

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 05:50:08 AM »

They steal your money and give you a miserable little allowance.

Kill myself first.

You come across as knowing little of life outside your own.  There is often a mountain of guilt associated with a loved family member who is in a care home.  One of our own forum members is in that situation now after caring, alone, for his much loved wife into their eighties.  A little empathy costs nothing.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 06:20:59 AM »
But sadly possibly too much to expect
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Glen

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 06:48:46 AM »

Ouch... As someone who comes across as caring little for anything or anyone other than themselves (I could be wrong but  that is how you come accross to me), that's ill informed especially by someone with a PhD.
You, apparently, know nothing about the loving bond most families have. How, because  of your own age and frailty, you do more harm than good by continuing to try to care for the person who has been the love of your life for, say, over 50 years. The heartbreak and guilt  of having to make  that decision.
I envy you. You will never experience it. I know, however, it is because of a life that has been full of joy, love and happiness that people feel guilty that they can no longer do their duty. Something else you will never know I expect. Have a heart.