Author Topic: are there too many chefs on the television,  (Read 874 times)

Alfred

are there too many chefs on the television,
« on: May 16, 2020, 08:35:27 AM »
Virtually every day we invariably see a chef or other giving us his or her opinion  of how to cook this or that,  and of course its easy isn't it ??

I'm no cook, but anything beyond beans on toast, or a good fried up breakfast is about my limit, not forgetting a sausage sandwich or a bacon sandwich which is about as far as my culinary skills go,

How ever I'm sure there are so very talented people on the forum  who no doubt will put me to shame ,

Q; are you more adventurous and will you share some of your culinary skills with us , perhaps your more adventurous and experiment trying our new or different ways to make food that much more appetising,

Raven

Re: are there too many chefs on the television,
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 08:38:56 AM »
YES, YES, and in a word yes.  ;D

sparky

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 08:55:00 AM »
All the hype spouted about an eating experience, to make chefs appear something special , is a load of cobblers, while I don't want to eat crap. I eat purely because I'm hungry and the need to  stay alive, by eating the sort of  great but basic meals my late wife served up daily, that did not need fancy names.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 09:00:18 AM »
I don't watch them, but given the amount of time devoted to them which could be used for more interesting things like watching paint dry - YES!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 09:03:11 AM »
Oh, and I feel the same about quiz shows of the banal level, although I used to watch Mastermind and University Challenge occasionally - although not seen either since before Veronica died in January 2018
Mike

klondike

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 09:03:47 AM »
I don't do cooking programs either. No interest. Considering the number they must be popular though. Or more likely cheap to produce.

I do like to see the occasional cooking disaster on Gogglebox though. I have a cruel streak.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 09:14:45 AM »
They are cheap and the staff get a good feed afterwards.

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 09:54:12 AM »
I quite enjoy Masterchef, but none of the others.  I don't cook nowadays, my OH took on that role years ago, but even if I did, I wouldn't watch them.  Cheap TV IMO.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Walter

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 03:18:22 PM »
Too many Chefs spoil the TV as the old saying goes :) , the only cooking/food and drink programme I really enjoy in Rick Stein especially his long weekends away around the world.

“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

biglouis

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 11:44:26 PM »
I don't watch them, but given the amount of time devoted to them which could be used for more interesting things like watching paint dry -

At least we agree on something.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

StephenM123

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 08:32:12 AM »
Yes there are! I have always disliked Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver as I find them totally irritating. Rick Stein is variable, occasionally he is enjoyable to watch usually not. Keith Floyd was entertaining. I was also a fan of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall but less so in recent times.

I also have watched some series of MasterChef but find (name escape me) the guy who looks like a bespectacled peanut irritating.

Alex22

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 12:53:10 PM »
I like James Martin.   I don't watch Rick Stein because he always cooks fish and I don't like fish, except from the chippy.  Ooh and tinned tuna, oh and tinned salmon.  :)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 04:33:34 PM »
One of the casualties of the lockdown is the weekly fish lady with her fresh fish off thevArbroath boats
Mike 😢😢

zoony

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 07:20:45 PM »
According to POV there were 14 cookery shows this week, no idea if they counted repeats, and that was just BBC. Too many? I dunno cos I don't watch 'em..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

sparky

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 07:58:24 AM »
Not only cooking shows, its starting to get the same with antique, and auctions, programmes, I sum up dealers and the TV  presenters up as a bunch of con merchants, trying to fool folks into thinking we need to buy a load of old tat at hugely inflated prices, at a time when most people prefer a minimalist home, I suspect, most larger Items the mugs  buy are soon hated for the space they take up, and the smaller items end up at the back of a drawer, rarely seeing the light of day.
Most of he crap on sale, is the past, and that's where it should stay.