Author Topic: a different way of life today ??  (Read 486 times)

Alfred

a different way of life today ??
« on: May 17, 2020, 08:24:44 AM »
Back in my youth particularly when i met my girl friend later my wife, i remember her mother looking me over to see if i was suitable to marry her daughter,  my wife once sat on my lap and she was told get off his lap your not married to him yet,

and  many would be mother in laws protected their daughters like wise,
yet after my wife and i married she turned out to be absolutely lovely , a really nice lady, and i thought the world of her, as she never interfered or took sides in any arguments that happened from time to time,
a very thought full and caring lady,  she is still missed today,

i wonder what she would have made of the things that go on today,  couples sleep together  have children together, and for some split up each going their own separate ways, but not all of them ,some prefer the old fashioned way of walking down the aisle even though weddings can and are expensive to plan for,

in the past couples met, got engaged, had the banns read in the church three weeks running saw the vicar and did a dummy run of what to do on the big day who stands where and who says what to whom,
and on the day itself all went fine as these rehearsals were worth practising and getting the ceremony right,

of course once children came along many were christened, and so records were kept of everything national health income tax  wedding certificates
birth and death records and so on,

where as today i wonder if for many again not all of the much younger generations wanted to find out say records of their ancestors from the past 
ancestry records was the place to start . and as we all know you can find out such a lot about your relatives assuming that you wanted to in the first place,

today with people having families and not  having  any records of any of the above mentioned , how are there  children going to find out who the father was, or is,  and with little records how are these men going to pay for the up keep of the children that they've brought into the world, without some sort of record to begin with ,as many quickly move on, letting the state take care of their offsprings,instead,

and the same for mothers some of whom have done like wise, or similar, again, but  some but  not all,

of course this doesn't apply to every one, just a small group of people who
like to have their pleasure, and walk away, when the going gets tough, particularly where money is concerned, or perhaps even a baby on the way,
some couples stick it out, and become good parents ,

like the saying goes what goes round, comes round, so in the future will some of the old fashioned ways return , or will life take a different course and direction.....again.

Q :  have you any thoughts on the way we live our lives today compared to the way our parents lived in the past,.

sparky

Re: a different way of life today ??
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 08:51:37 AM »
My MIL was the complete opposite, She was one of those  women, who should never have had children, really selfish, not once did she ever send a birthday/Christmas card to my son, whereas her sister who my late wife got on better with than her own mother was an absolute diamond, We would have done anything for her.

Maywalk

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 07:27:33 PM »
Yes it certainly IS a different world we live in today Alfred.
I know of one woman who has at least six children by different fathers and I very often wonder what will happen to the human race in years to come because many of these fathers have moved on and had children by other women.
What if a chap meets up with a girl and they mate and have children and then find out years after that they have the same father?????????????????

It does not bear thinking about. 

biglouis

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 11:45:32 PM »
What if a chap meets up with a girl and they mate and have children and then find out years after that they have the same father?????????????????

If your talking incest this happened on a regular basis in the past in the royal houses of Europe. In order to concentrate wealth, power and land cousins married cousins and uncles married nieces. They just got a dispensation from the pope and went ahead. Of course they knew nothing about genetics then. Such policies were responsible for the Royal house of Habsburg in Spain dying out because the heir (who ruled as Carlos III) was a congenital idiot and incapable of fathering offspring. His parents were one at the same time cousins and uncle and niece so sort that relationship out if you can.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

GrannyMac

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 07:14:03 AM »
I don't think Maywalk was referring to Royal families intermarrying.  Just to men and women not being in settled relationships before having children.  Men impregnating numerous women, especially in a small geographical area can lead to half siblings growing up not knowing about each other.  If they then meet and form a relationship, it could be tragic.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

mick607

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 08:50:21 AM »
If your talking incest this happened on a regular basis in the past in the royal houses of Europe. In order to concentrate wealth, power and land cousins married cousins and uncles married nieces. They just got a dispensation from the pope and went ahead. Of course they knew nothing about genetics then. Such policies were responsible for the Royal house of Habsburg in Spain dying out because the heir (who ruled as Carlos III) was a congenital idiot and incapable of fathering offspring. His parents were one at the same time cousins and uncle and niece so sort that relationship out if you can.
So royalty are inbreds then.  ;D

klondike

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 09:33:51 AM »
T'was always so and I thought common knowledge. Royals marry Royals and with a limited supply marriage of cousins was likely common. It's even legal for us plebs.
So long and thanks for all the fish