Author Topic: on line is it all becoming too much,.  (Read 1844 times)

Alfred

on line is it all becoming too much,.
« on: May 17, 2020, 09:13:37 AM »
In todays modern world many people are on the internet and able to do virtually everything from booking a holiday, to shopping, to having food delivered, to booking plane, or transport,  reservations, abroad,

others booking on line booking to see say a chiropodist. or ladies having their nails manicured, or a pedicure, even  booking a place to see the hair dressers , and so on,

using the computer, or laptop, tablet , to book, or place orders, for just about everything,

although many of the senior people whom for what ever the reason aren't either able or simply not interested in computers or any electronic devices for that matter to which the younger generations use on a daily basis,

so bearing this in mind the idea of ordering repeat prescriptions on line for repeat medications which is already being carried out,

as more of us are house bound, due to the virus in particular,  with more people working from home,

and of course skyping , or on face time,  other means being able to see and talk to other people around the world, from our homes,

those of us in retirement already carry out many tasks as we use the internet to order what ever it is that we need, similar to using the phone,
and of course the printer, where by we can print off a receipts from any purchases that weve  made or are expecting,

bearing all this in mind is the internet becoming too much, as for some people it could take over their lives, particularly as  some young children or adults can get addicted particularly with on line games etc,

Q: do you have any thoughts on is the internet becoming too much, or are you pleased its here and handy to use for our every day purposes ,.

Michael Rolls

Re: on line is it all becoming too much,.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 09:31:05 AM »
Personally, I find it invaluable, especially in the current crisis. I am 13 miles from Perth, 15 from Dundee, the nearest location of major shops with the exception of a mid-size Tesco 7 miles away. No way am I going into either town at the moment, so online shopping, apart from milk, bread veg and the is what it has to be.
Entertainment? Books ordered from Amazon - my IPad library has over 700 volumes; if they were physical books I simply wouldn’t have space for them. TV? I scour the listings looking for something worth watching, often without success, but YouTube and Netflix come to the rescue.
Obviously I could live without the internet, but I wouldn’t want to, and in the present situation I am safer because of it
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Scrumpy

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 09:35:28 AM »

I welcome the internet at this time... Most things can be safely purchased..
 There have always been scammers out there and those that will take advantage of a situation... They have no morals.. they would scam their own granny..

Just be cautious and keep your wits about you.. If you are able to..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 09:36:57 AM »
Oh, and without the internet, how would I be able to bore you all with my comments?
Mike

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 10:15:10 AM »
Personally, I find it invaluable, especially in the current crisis. I am 13 miles from Perth, 15 from Dundee, the nearest location of major shops with the exception of a mid-size Tesco 7 miles away. No way am I going into either town at the moment, so online shopping, apart from milk, bread veg and the is what it has to be.
Entertainment? Books ordered from Amazon - my IPad library has over 700 volumes; if they were physical books I simply wouldn’t have space for them. TV? I scour the listings looking for something worth watching, often without success, but YouTube and Netflix come to the rescue.
Obviously I could live without the internet, but I wouldn’t want to, and in the present situation I am safer because of it
Mike

It sounds like you are in a pretty remote area Mike? What is your internet connection like?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 10:22:29 AM »
12mps give or take. We did have some problems about 4-5 years ago when for weeks it was below 4, sometimes below 1, but 🤞🤞🤞been OK since. It’s fast enough for my needs, although when we had the problems YouTube and the like were unwatchable, as was any video clip I might be sent. When you look at the various coverage maps we are in a bit of a poor area - before digital TV we couldn’t even get Channel 5 although they could in the village a mile away
Mike

sparky

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 10:53:06 AM »
With the current situation its a great asset, and there is always more I find of interest, for instance yesterday I came across, on You Tube,  " Walking around London "virtual  walks  around many London locations, and seeing how they had change since I lived there,  This lead me later to walks around many other UK locations, including on Prime video "Footloose in the Cotswolds," a three parter,  where I learnt so much more history and facts about my surrounding area, so much better than reading for what would be for me, a boring book.

Alex22

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 12:34:31 PM »
I'd be lost without the internet, it gets me out and about without leaving my home. 

Scrumpy

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 01:02:51 PM »

Is it just me.. but when i think of the internet I think of a time slot on Tesco..!!!

I need to spread my wings..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

biglouis

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 01:46:47 PM »
Having a doctorate in human computer interaction I am obviously somewhat biased.

Here is the point where some troll pops out from under a stone and says "what a useless qualification".

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 01:52:07 PM »
Predicting it doesn't negate the observation.. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

mick607

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 03:10:12 PM »
Having a doctorate in human computer interaction I am obviously somewhat biased.

Here is the point where some troll pops out from under a stone and says "what a useless qualification".
No not at all. They are called "Mickey Mouse" degrees   ;D ;D

mick607

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 03:15:06 PM »
12mps give or take. We did have some problems about 4-5 years ago when for weeks it was below 4, sometimes below 1, but 🤞🤞🤞been OK since. It’s fast enough for my needs, although when we had the problems YouTube and the like were unwatchable, as was any video clip I might be sent. When you look at the various coverage maps we are in a bit of a poor area - before digital TV we couldn’t even get Channel 5 although they could in the village a mile away
Mike
Plenty of UMPHH down here.

klondike

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 03:33:38 PM »
Predicting it doesn't negate the observation.. ;)
Or it's validity. I think you need one to design a completely user hostile interface. The sort they seem to have in most shops if you complain they've overcharged and it has to be corrected.
So long and thanks for all the fish

biglouis

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 03:49:41 PM »
Boring boring zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.