Author Topic: flat pack prefabs Is this the future.?  (Read 1997 times)

Alfred

flat pack prefabs Is this the future.?
« on: May 18, 2020, 01:32:16 PM »
with the need for people to have a place of their own could the re-emergence
of say prefabs or bungalows be built very quickly similar to the way flat pack furniture was not that long ago,

would it fill the need for more property that much quicker, to solve the housing problem ,

Q: have you any ideas or thoughts regarding flat pack housing 

sparky

Re: flat pack prefabs Is this the future.?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 01:47:20 PM »
Alf, We don't need more houses, what we need is less people, get rid of the hoards of incoming, criminals and parasites, and there would be enough homes for British needs.

mick607

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 02:03:24 PM »
Exactly what sparky says.

zoony

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 02:11:16 PM »
with the need for people to have a place of their own could the re-emergence
of say prefabs or bungalows be built very quickly similar to the way flat pack furniture was not that long ago,

would it fill the need for more property that much quicker, to solve the housing problem ,

Q: have you any ideas or thoughts regarding flat pack housing

The Germans are rather good at it Alf..Have a look at these..They make cheaper ones too.
Lots of choice these days if folk use a bit of nous..
 https://www.huf-haus.com/en-uk/
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 02:24:44 PM »
Bungalows waste far too much land and should be banned. The footprint of a 3 bed one would accommodate two 5 bed properties over 3 floors.
Then we have homes that have gardens far too big. No property needs outside space of more than equal the footprint of the property. As an example a traditional 3 bed home should accommodate approx. 600 sq ft. outside space of 65 sq mtrs is more than ample.
Why don't we build homes with 4 floors? They would need a footprint of approx. 300 sq mtrs.

Houses are needed for the people that are already living here. There is still the option to build high rise apartments. The more people that you can get into a smaller building's footprint the better we would be.

Our previous family home until  it was just us two was ridiculous - rear garden 3/4 acre never mind the double driveway, triple garage and oversized front garden. Just think how many families could have been housed on that one plot!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 04:35:50 PM »
Four floors would need  a lift or stair lifts for many folk. High rise? Some of them are some of the worst living environments in the country - the so-called sink estates.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Walter

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 04:39:00 PM »
I agree, I also agree with Sparky
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

Walter

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 04:58:53 PM »
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

Goingtoseed

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 06:56:10 PM »
Four floors would need  a lift or stair lifts for many folk. High rise? Some of them are some of the worst living environments in the country - the so-called sink estates.
Mike

I presume that you are referring to those built in the 60's? Not all high rise developments exist on 'sink estates'.
Some of the most expensive and valuable apartments in London exist in high rise properties

Jacqueline

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 07:01:49 PM »
Alf, We don't need more houses, what we need is less people, get rid of the hoards of incoming, criminals and parasites, and there would be enough homes for British needs.

Dead right Sparky, couldn't agree more.

mick607

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 07:04:57 PM »
I presume that you are referring to those built in the 60's? Not all high rise developments exist on 'sink estates'.
Some of the most expensive and valuable apartments in London exist in high rise properties
Next time you are down this way Michael you would be more than welcome to come & take a look around here. Not all high rise flats are bleak.

Jacqueline

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 07:12:09 PM »
Bungalows waste far too much land and should be banned. The footprint of a 3 bed one would accommodate two 5 bed properties over 3 floors.
Then we have homes that have gardens far too big. No property needs outside space of more than equal the footprint of the property. As an example a traditional 3 bed home should accommodate approx. 600 sq ft. outside space of 65 sq mtrs is more than ample.
Why don't we build homes with 4 floors? They would need a footprint of approx. 300 sq mtrs.

Houses are needed for the people that are already living here. There is still the option to build high rise apartments. The more people that you can get into a smaller building's footprint the better we would be.

Our previous family home until  it was just us two was ridiculous - rear garden 3/4 acre never mind the double driveway, triple garage and oversized front garden. Just think how many families could have been housed on that one plot!

Do you really want to live that close to other people?  In an ideal world when people are considerate fine, but in our last house we had idiot neighbours who didn't think it unreasonable to come home from the pub and play music at full volume until the early hours when we had to get up for work, of course they didn't work.

When we retired we moved to the middle of nowhere with an acre of land because we were so desperate for peace and quiet.  Now it's too much peace and quiet and not practical for our old age, we need to move back to civilisation but I dread it.

Ashy

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 07:49:54 PM »
In most urban settings your neighbours can make your life bearable or unbearable. Do I think flat pack houses are the answer? In general, no.

zoony

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 07:52:56 PM »
You did kinda do the frying pan to fire jump Jacq..Try something on the hob instead. I live on a quiet corner of an estate built in the 20s. It's leafy enough, gardens are decent-sized and cared for and neighbours usually smile and it's just a minute or two to woods and green fields. All amenities are close enough. Prices start at around £160/70k for a solid, 2/3-bedroom home. I'd like to live around here if I didn't already. ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Jacqueline

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 08:30:53 PM »
You did kinda do the frying pan to fire jump Jacq..Try something on the hob instead. I live on a quiet corner of an estate built in the 20s. It's leafy enough, gardens are decent-sized and cared for and neighbours usually smile and it's just a minute or two to woods and green fields. All amenities are close enough. Prices start at around £160/70k for a solid, 2/3-bedroom home. I'd like to live around here if I didn't already. ;D

Your right Zoony we don't do things by halves us, we wernt thinking straight at all at the time, nightmare neighbours, building blocks of flats all around us.  Now we need to find somewhere nice near amenities and fairly quiet, that's if we can ever get the place up for sale.