Author Topic: flat pack prefabs Is this the future.?  (Read 1995 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: flat pack prefabs Is this the future.?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2020, 08:41:26 PM »
I presume that you are referring to those built in the 60's? Not all high rise developments exist on 'sink estates'.
Some of the most expensive and valuable apartments in London exist in high rise properties
I did say some - you are, of course, quite right but that sort of development is scarcely the norm
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2020, 08:54:08 PM »

Your right Zoony we don't do things by halves us, we wernt thinking straight at all at the time, nightmare neighbours, building blocks of flats all around us.  Now we need to find somewhere nice near amenities and fairly quiet, that's if we can ever get the place up for sale.

It's only my opinion mind but in the past I've found it helpful to decide exactly where I want to be first, as it gets the ball rolling to have something to aim for...
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Glen

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2020, 11:02:03 PM »
How about one of these? No planning permission unless you connect to mains. Take it with you when you go? Literally home from home. Take it with you when you sell up.

https://www.tinyhouseuk.co.uk

zoony

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2020, 11:05:36 PM »
They're great Glen.. One of those in my garden and I can rent out the house for beaucoup dollars.. ;D

cowboy wisdom.

Glen

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2020, 04:22:11 AM »
I don't want to move. House is too big. I've got large enough garden. What a great idea...

GrannyMac

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2020, 08:26:59 AM »
There are around 220,000 empty homes in England. Over crowding and shortages in some places, an over supply in others.  Affordability is an issue too.

We like where we live. Nice street, fairly quiet, GP, shops, park, library, leisure centre all within a few minutes walk. Hospitals nearby, on bus routes. Tram route near, which was great when I was working, and it goes straight to town, convenient for the theatres, or cinema.  Our daughter lived in the area first, so we had a feel for it.   However, now we aren't very near family, so if I'm ever left on my own, I'll move.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2020, 08:36:19 AM »
When Veronica died my solicitor, who handled the estate for me, advised me not to make any hasty decisions, like moving house. "Provided I stay healthy," I assured her, "I'm not leaving our house until they carry me out in a box." That's still my take on matters. Apart from my b-i-l in Perth - 13 miles away, no other family member is within 400 miles and they are all scattered hither and yon, so there is no point in trying to move to be near family
Mike

Walter

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2020, 09:01:24 AM »
Wife and I are currently considering selling up in a few years time to move out of London too the coast, a more manageable property with a smaller garden.

The advantage of that is we will make a tidy profit on our present house if we move to an area where property is much cheaper Down side is we will have to leave our children grandkids and good dear friends behind, we don't want to move too far so we can visit them and visa versa, the other problem is public transport which we will have to reply on at some time in the future to London especially rail is not reliable. ( thank you RMT )

We had thought of moving to the West Coast of Ireland where my wife is from a very remote area , downside of that is of is if we can no longer drive nearest major hospital if you need it is 75 miles away, local GP is 10 miles away,

.Nearest pharmacy and supermarket is 15 miles away also the weather on the west coast can be very harsh cold wet and grey even in the summer :) 

Ireland is a very expensive place to live , Upside is the fishing is superb   
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

zoony

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2020, 04:31:35 PM »
Bear in mind the North of England Walter. It's not grim, it's very beautiful in some places but usually just lovely. Properties, as you know, are a fraction of the price of those in the SE though you might be surprised in some places by how close they're creeping..

cowboy wisdom.

Walter

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2020, 04:39:02 PM »
Bear in mind the North of England Walter. It's not grim, it's very beautiful in some places but usually just lovely. Properties, as you know, are a fraction of the price of those in the SE though you might be surprised in some places by how close they're creeping..

I am originally from the North of England in the Pennines, yes the Trough of Bowland and the Dales are beautiful which means the prices are higher, I was born in a Mill Town and no real urge to live in one again, I don't speak Urdu or hooked on Heroin   
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

klondike

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2020, 04:44:16 PM »
Next time you are down this way Michael you would be more than welcome to come & take a look around here. Not all high rise flats are bleak.
Don't stop off here on your way though.....  We only have a couple but they had to block off most of the roads where they are and convert the area into a maze to deter kerb crawlers.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Goingtoseed

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2020, 05:09:12 PM »

I couldn't agree with you more. There are some idyllic areas to live in the North West. The areas in Lancashire where I would move to tomorrow are on a par with prices in the affluent parts of the South East.
Not that long ago before moving to the South East we looked at buying an empty farm (following the death of the farmer)in the village in the Ribble Valley area. The cost? £25,000 and it came with 23 acres of grazing land. Of course it needed to be developed but the size and structure was sound. We moved South instead 38 years ago buying our home for £100,000 (worth today £895,000). That farm and land was recently sold for £1.6m!!

According to Rightmove the prices being asked for the areas we would move back to -

ideal - https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-87961859.html

A property that was also on the market in the early 1980's is this - https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66227211.html

It wanted quite a bit of work doing to it but at £20,000 it was a good bet even if chickens were roosting in the bedrooms!. The guy I know who bought it in the mid 90's and finished all of the work off stands to make a good profit of £600,000? or thereabouts so I am told.

klondike

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2020, 05:12:51 PM »
Unless you have multiple properties or are prepared to downsize I fail to see where there is any profit as you still need somewhere to live and the price of any alternative will have rocketed too unless it is in the boondocks.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Goingtoseed

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2020, 05:53:32 PM »
Unless you have multiple properties or are prepared to downsize I fail to see where there is any profit as you still need somewhere to live and the price of any alternative will have rocketed too unless it is in the boondocks.

The profit the guy will make will not be needed to buy another property.
He already owns one in the same village that was bought in 2006 from me as the Administrator for a relative's estate. He paid £195,000 and has already developed it for his occupation.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2020, 05:57:01 PM »
It does depend where you move from and to. In 2003 we sold a nice, but by no means exceptional 3 bed semi in Haslemere for £265,000 and bought this place for £165,00, a far superior dwelling. Had this place valued about three years ago at £260,000 - my late sister's one bed little place in Kingston-upon-Thames is probably about the same value, and it's like comparing chalk and cheese.
Mike