Author Topic: will our shopping habits change for ever, ??  (Read 440 times)

Alfred

will our shopping habits change for ever, ??
« on: May 19, 2020, 08:18:35 AM »
In the current situation where by the nation as in other countries has reached almost a shut down as most of us are shopping mainly by on line click and collect,  or home deliveries, and for others those who have to go out and take their place in the queue ,

when ever we get back to normality, when ever that will be, where as in the past most people shopped. either for necessity, or simply for the pleasure being able to  get out and enjoy browsing  looking for bargains , meeting other people in the process,

so could our shopping habits change as a result in more people shopping on line and home deliveries leaving us with more time for other pursuits,

Q; have you any thoughts on how our shopping habits could change if so will you share your thoughts with us,

Michael Rolls

Re: will our shopping habits change for ever, ??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 08:27:51 AM »
I was already relying mostly on Tesco delivery for the necessities of life in terms of food, cleaning materials and the like. Since lockdown, Tesco slots are hard to come by but I have diversified to using Amazon and Marks and Spencers as well. Pre-lockdown I would visit the Co-op a couple of miles away parhaps five times a week for things like bread, milk, croissants, fruit, veg. Now I only go there at most twice a week, no longer touch anything that isn't sealed. I would go into the newsagents six times a week for the paper and an occasional bar of chocolate, or the like. Now I only go in twice a week (last week only once). they keep the paper for me but that's all.
I can't see myself going into town (Perth) for a while - I used to go in perhaps three or four times a month with some purpose in mind, but also to have a general  mooch round, which is certainly off the agenda for the time being.
Mike 
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Raven

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 02:24:13 PM »
I like to go to the Supermarket for our messages myself. I like to look and choose what I want, and see what's new. I found when my mum started to get her messages delivered that dates were far to close to the sell by one. She used to get the ready meals as she hated cooking for herself and it was fine to just pop a ready meal in the microwave each day. I had to take them back to the shop once and change them, as all went out of date within 24 hours, despite me putting in the remarks bit on the form that we needed the dates to be long as they had to last a week.

klondike

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 02:27:52 PM »
We've just taken out chances. Wife does Lidl and I drive on and get the stuff we can't get there from Asda. Works out well for us. We go early Tuesdays and both shops are virtually empty and reassonably well stocked. It's pretty much what we always did apart from early - we normally like the streets to be well aired.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Jacqueline

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 02:45:32 PM »
I will never get used to this online shopping, I like to choose my own things and I like shopping.  I was getting Tescos deliveries or click and collect but not regularly,  now we have gone back to shopping ourselves  in Aldi or Morrisons despite the fact I feel uneasy, every time we go I feel I've been stupid to do so.  I can't get all the things I like at Tescos.

Online shopping is great for those who can't get out, but while I am still physically able I prefer to do my own.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 04:02:05 PM »
Call me a coward, but for the time being, the thought of going into even a moderately busy supermarket horrifies me. Haven’t entered one since lockdown (not that I used them before) and have no intention of doing so, probably for a very long time
Mike

zoony

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 04:20:52 PM »
I was already relying mostly on Tesco delivery for the necessities of life in terms of food, cleaning materials and the like. Since lockdown, Tesco slots are hard to come by but I have diversified to using Amazon and Marks and Spencers as well. Pre-lockdown I would visit the Co-op a couple of miles away parhaps five times a week for things like bread, milk, croissants, fruit, veg. Now I only go there at most twice a week, no longer touch anything that isn't sealed. I would go into the newsagents six times a week for the paper and an occasional bar of chocolate, or the like. Now I only go in twice a week (last week only once). they keep the paper for me but that's all.
I can't see myself going into town (Perth) for a while - I used to go in perhaps three or four times a month with some purpose in mind, but also to have a general  mooch round, which is certainly off the agenda for the time being.
Mike

Mike..I decided yesterday to start back to my normal life. I was already very isolated but went out daily for the papers. I'll continue to have those delivered but am also returning to the world of shops. Supermarkets not so much..Not psyched up enough for that but the Co-Op, bakery and a favourite corner shop who will happily deliver anything I ask. Not going to wear gloves as I think they give a false security but I have masks and use them. Brown Fedora and a blue paper mask..devastating combination.  ;D ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 04:48:56 PM »
Well done zoony. There are no tighter shackles than those of the mind.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 05:36:36 PM »
All the best,, Zoony.
Mike (love the combination!)