Author Topic: Immigration: downsizing qualifications and salaries  (Read 1226 times)

digitalis

Immigration: downsizing qualifications and salaries
« on: May 19, 2020, 08:52:12 AM »
I am not sure what is what theseadays. News is still dominated by covid,but aren't new immigration rules being discussed down at HQ.

Excuse my ignorance. Are the qualifications and salaries no new to be set so low as to allow anyone to come and settle in the UK now? So,biz as usual?

I don't know how anyone is getting a job theseadays as covid sweeps across the country. But allowing more people to come into the UK as we're already full-up....wottsgoing on!!

I see moving pictures on the tabloids today showing herds of people moving together in rat-like packs down in that-there London. Shish! Ratsville. All a-cramped in being let out of their rat-holes as covid rules are relaxed. Yet we want more rats to be let in! Yup,cant make it out. Just how many more people can this here country take: Persimmon is already  swamping the country piecemeal with its rat houses. Goodbye olde England,you woz once a pleasing place,now just a wharehouse for A roads and newbuilds. Sorry,but wotta dump this place is becoming. Someone please shout STOP!

mick607

Re: Immigration: downsizing qualifications and salaries
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 09:17:51 AM »
I am not sure what is what theseadays. News is still dominated by covid,but aren't new immigration rules being discussed down at HQ.

Excuse my ignorance. Are the qualifications and salaries no new to be set so low as to allow anyone to come and settle in the UK now? So,biz as usual?

I don't know how anyone is getting a job theseadays as covid sweeps across the country. But allowing more people to come into the UK as we're already full-up....wottsgoing on!!

I see moving pictures on the tabloids today showing herds of people moving together in rat-like packs down in that-there London. Shish! Ratsville. All a-cramped in being let out of their rat-holes as covid rules are relaxed. Yet we want more rats to be let in! Yup,cant make it out. Just how many more people can this here country take: Persimmon is already  swamping the country piecemeal with its rat houses. Goodbye olde England,you woz once a pleasing place,now just a wharehouse for A roads and newbuilds. Sorry,but wotta dump this place is becoming. Someone please shout STOP!
Without more details regarding proposed salary & qualifications your post is quite pointless.

klondike

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 10:30:59 AM »
They have just brought forward the bill to move to a points based system. Apart from saying there would be a fast track visa for those aiming to work in the NHS there is nothing much announced,  agreed or finalised.

Imagining that Brexit will have much effect on immigration is simply wishful thinking although it may reduce the numbers of unskilled imports pushing wages down to the point where UK born unskilled are better off on Universal Credit than working.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Jacqueline

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 10:47:36 AM »

I have posted before about the 1960s when we were told London was overcrowded and we should move to new towns like Stevenage where many of my lot landed up. At the same time as we were leaving immigrants were moving in, how convenient,  London is more overcrowded now than it was then and looks more of a dump than it did after the Blitz.

I think the new immigration points system Parliament is introducing is supposed to in theory, bring in skilled people, and not the dross that we have enough of already.   Now the argument is that we need Hospital cleaners and care workers "the lazy British will not do these jobs etc.etc.".

After the Care homes fiasco with Covid 19, never mind about bringing in foreigners, the whole secta needs reassessment, care home funding, better pay and conditions.  Many people, and I know a couple, would like to do this work if they were treated better.  But as usual instead of sorting things out here, having a proper enquiry about why they can't get British care workers,  just import cheap labour from abroad and exploit them too and the problem is pushed to one side.

If immigration to this country was handled properly from the start bringing in the best, we would not have all the problems we have now, I can never understand why we bring in poor unskilled immigrants when we have so much deprevation among British people. These people go to/are sent to? already deprived areas of this country making the whole situation worse, you don't see many poor immigrants in places like the Cotswolds do you?  These people were poor in their own countries and now are poor in ours does that make any sense?

mick607

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 11:03:42 AM »
British people won't do the work in care homes ? Simple remedy to that, stop benefits.

klondike

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 11:06:32 AM »
The level of pay has been forced down by cheap immigrant labour to the point where benefits are more attractive to our home grown unskilled.

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 11:08:08 AM »
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-points-based-immigration-system-employer-information/the-uks-points-based-immigration-system-an-introduction-for-employers

This looks reasonable for starters.  I have to agree with Jacqueline about care workers, they are low paid rather than low skilled.  The bulk of care work, IMO, should be public sector, with similar pay and conditions to NHS health care assistants. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 11:11:03 AM »
The level of pay has been forced down by cheap immigrant labour to the point where benefits are more attractive to our home grown unskilled.

Care work in the private sector was never valued or paid well.

R. Gervais

klondike

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 11:20:43 AM »
Why would employers increase the pay if there is a ready supply of people willing to do the job on low pay? I don't know the history of care homes or what the pay was before Blair opened the floodgates to East European EU migration but that influx ensured the rates would remain low regardless of what they were before.

GrannyMac

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 11:28:13 AM »
In the days of 'take this job or lose your dole' people took what was on offer!

R. Gervais

klondike

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 11:35:36 AM »
I suspect getting those who eventually got their universal credit courtesy of the lockdown may be reluctant to stir their arses even if there are jobs going once lockdown ends. This damned virus will be a game changer.

zoony

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 11:39:55 AM »
British people won't do the work in care homes ? Simple remedy to that, stop benefits.

Daft thing to say..There are many thousands of white, British workers in the care home sector..It's the care home sector 'owners' which need training not the workers. I doubt you'd hear many people whose loved ones are in care criticize foreign workers. Proper pay and conditions would be a start.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

digitalis

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 12:18:47 PM »
I might be making this up a bit,but wasn't the threshold at one stage £35k pa ie to come here to gain entry to work and live. Now its going down to £22k or thereabouts. I wouldn't be surprised to see even this wage to fall. As care work wages will remain low,I expect more care workers will be required in the field. As MSM bigs-up the foreign work force here,more foreign  labour will be authorized to come in to work. The population thus heads towards 70 million.

zoony

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 12:42:03 PM »
I think I'm right in saying that many of the carers in 'homes' are the foreign spouses of Brits so they don't fall under the same HO regulations ..?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

biglouis

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 12:48:24 PM »
Saw a program on Panorama last night about immigrant camps in Greece. Most have come from Afghanistan (a poor country) to Greece (another poor country) which does not have the resources to handle them.

Yet they all get given cash cards with an allowance for their daily needs.

Comes the pandemic and the camp is quarantined for 14 days. So they cant get out to buy food.  They stage a protest and burn down a few local shops.

The authorities organize food deliveries but there is not enough so the inhabitants stage another protest.

The section of the camp where the CV-19 infected is too close is too close so there is another protest.

So these people enter a country illegally and then stage "protests" because things dont exactly go their way.

And some of them are probably coming our way.  I know what I would do with their "protests."
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.