Author Topic: If WW2 started today  (Read 4506 times)

zoony

Re: If WW2 started today
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 11:37:01 PM »
I agree. As an undernourished, skinny 15 yr old the Army gave me the only future that wasn't the big steelworks where everybody's dad's dad had worked.
 A lot of Induction and training wasn't pleasant but it was the way the world worked. On the other hand I was a dab hand at the assault course and me muscules got bigger each day. I learned to think and bought my first guitar. Today's kids have a lot more about them than I ever remember having.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

biglouis

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 12:13:56 AM »
All of you people on this thread (whom I assume experienced national service) are reminiscing and speculating about how the training would do the youth of today some good and make adults of them.

When I initiated a posting of some of the things my parents did - such as making me work for pocket money, save up for things, and so on - and how I felt it was a good idea to make your kids work for things instead of spoiling them - I was accused by trolls of daring to pass an opinion when I "have no children of my own".

Hmmmm. A certain phrase involving words like POT. KETTLE and BLACK comes to mind.

Not that I give a dogs last damn about the opinions of trolls
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 12:34:43 AM »
Whoa girl..You assume much..I thought I made it clear that the Army, voluntary not National Service, was my only way out of where I was. That's why I joined. The fact that it was beneficial to my life was incidental. I didn't get pocket money as a kid other than sixpence on a Saturday to go to the pictures. I said nothing negative about today's youngsters. Pull your horns in ffs.

cowboy wisdom.

Bee

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 03:18:24 AM »
I agree. As an undernourished, skinny 15 yr old the Army gave me the only future that wasn't the big steelworks where everybody's dad's dad had worked.
 A lot of Induction and training wasn't pleasant but it was the way the world worked. On the other hand I was a dab hand at the assault course and me muscules got bigger each day. I learned to think and bought my first guitar. Today's kids have a lot more about them than I ever remember having.

That is so true zoony, I do get annoyed when todays youngsters are nearly always being put down by our generation as if our generation was that perfect.
The only way is up....

klondike

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 09:28:54 AM »
Not that I give a dogs last damn about the opinions of trolls
I think you need to consult Google on exactly what a troll is. A word you bandy about quite frequently in a manner that clearly shows you believe it means anybody who disagrees with your frequently outrageous opinions and has the temerity to say so.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Maywalk

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2020, 11:38:19 AM »
Did any of you go through WW2?
I was 9 years old when it started and was machine gunned in the hopfields by a Jerry that got through what defences we had at that time.
Luckily no one was killed because a Spitfire came to our aid and shot the Jerry down after a dog fight.
My family were also bombed out of two houses during the London Blitz and we finished up in the pub cellar.
We were finally evacuated to a Midlands town in 1941 but was also machine gunned on that too.
I am lucky to still be here to tell the tale.
My eldest brother who was in the 27th Squadron was fighting the Japs in Burma and my other brother was in North Africa.
Both came back but the eldest one was NOT the same chap who first joined the RAF.He suffered terrible nigtmares and unfortunately turned to drink.
WW2 no picnic and I would not have wished it on my worst enemy especially coming out of the shelter to see the bodies of neighbours who one had shouted "HELLO" to a few hours before. :( :(     

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 12:19:31 PM »
we were lucky. my dad was too old for military service, his brother was unfit - artificial leg from a childhood accident, and all of my mum's  siblings and spouses survived. Mum was the oldest of 8. the older brother - of two - was in the RN and an AA gunner on armed merchantmen in the Russian conveys. Thankfully, Jack survived when so many of his contemporaries on that savage battle did not.
In 1944 we lived in Walton-on-Thames where we received a good few of the V1s  which overflew London - hence many nights in a shelter - in our case the indoor one (Morrison?)
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 12:28:51 PM »
I think you need to consult Google on exactly what a troll is.

Trolls are also individuals who launch attacks on a specific person in response to opinions which do not name or are not directed at any specific person.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2020, 12:30:13 PM »
I thought it was something to do with 'I'll eat you for my supper!'
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2020, 12:46:35 PM »
You never know, it might be a lucky troll.

klondike

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2020, 01:28:46 PM »
Trolls are also individuals who launch attacks on a specific person in response to opinions which do not name or are not directed at any specific person.
So that's a no then. Like I suggested - try google.

Ashy

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2020, 02:41:20 PM »
I reckon the definition is, coming from the meaning to lay bait when fishing,

4.  To post inflammatory or irrelevant material on (an electronic forum) to provoke responses.

I would also point out that attacking a member of PF personally is against the rules and should be reported to the Moderator if it should occur.

zoony

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2020, 06:08:47 PM »
Mythically, trolls are evil, dwarvish, vicious creatures that live underground and attack innocent humans. Just sayin'..

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2020, 07:59:08 PM »
Plus of course trip trap trip trap over the bridge is a sure way to find one.

zoony

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2020, 08:56:35 PM »
Careful it's not a Moomin Troll though...They can turn nasty if discomforted and are wont to weaponise their glandular defences as offence if they feel offended....

cowboy wisdom.