Author Topic: Do your bit  (Read 2967 times)

Walter

Re: Do your bit
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 08:12:30 AM »
Last time I was in the South of France I saw people picking grapes , whole bunches of them hanging about all over the place, grapes too
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

klondike

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 08:24:16 AM »
It can be rather difficult to sack someone these days you have to gave a good and valid reason, gross misconduct etc and in many cases well evidenced over several weeks or months , if not you could be on the wrong end of a tribunal for unlawful unfair dismissal which could be very costly.
Probationary periods are common for that very reason.
So long and thanks for all the fish

brian54

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2020, 08:33:39 AM »

It can be rather difficult to sack someone these days you have to gave a good and valid reason, gross misconduct etc and in many cases well evidenced over several weeks or months , if not you could be on the wrong end of a tribunal for unlawful unfair dismissal which could be very costly.

The company I worked for generally got rid of people at 56. They gave us redundancy money and our pension was started straight away. We signed a compromise agreement. Nobody took the company to a tribunal. Somehow I lasted to 58.

Raven

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2020, 09:27:05 AM »
I don't understand why people and children stopped going to the Berries and the tattie hawking, we even got time off school for it. Us kids used to look forward to it, some money earned by ourselves to save or buy something we really wanted. The picnic lunch with all your friends, the lorry journey to and from the fields, your pay packet on a Friday at the end of the day..........Happy memories.

Walter

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2020, 09:28:27 AM »
Probationary periods are common for that very reason.

I agree
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

brian54

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2020, 09:34:15 AM »
I don't understand why people and children stopped going to the Berries and the tattie hawking, we even got time off school for it. Us kids used to look forward to it, some money earned by ourselves to save or buy something we really wanted. The picnic lunch with all your friends, the lorry journey to and from the fields, your pay packet on a Friday at the end of the day..........Happy memories.

I have never been paid weekly. I have always been paid monthly and the days varied. There was always a deduction for pension. I was very far sighted.

Raven

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2020, 09:36:35 AM »
If you had ever been to the tatties you would have been paid on a Friday night in cash.

brian54

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2020, 09:38:32 AM »
If you had ever been to the tatties you would have been paid on a Friday night in cash.

I was always paid in to my bank account.

klondike

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2020, 09:52:34 AM »
Well the tattie pickers had to accept cash but I believe their non contributory pension scheme was second to none allowing many to retire to lives of luxury with large lump sums and indexed linked pensions. Strangely many chose to go to Birmingham which is why the average retiree in Birmingham is reputed to have over £5m cash in their bank accounts.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2020, 10:34:08 AM »
Well the tattie pickers had to accept cash but I believe their non contributory pension scheme was second to none allowing many to retire to lives of luxury with large lump sums and indexed linked pensions. Strangely many chose to go to Birmingham which is why the average retiree in Birmingham is reputed to have over £5m cash in their bank accounts.
😁😁😁😁😁😁
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Goingtoseed

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2020, 11:06:36 AM »
Surely if you are on (I don't know PC name) unemployment  benefit and you refuse 3 jobs benefits stop ?

The days of forcing say a qualified jet engine designer that has been made redundant by Rolls Royce to go pick some cabbages or his benefits will cease are well gone.
If they want to do that job then OK, but to force them - No!

The unemployed can, quite rightly, tell the DWP that they will only accept jobs befitting their experience and qualification.
Anyhow why aren't those waiting to hear about their asylum claims or those that moved here from Eastern Europe not being told to do the job?

Goingtoseed

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2020, 11:07:40 AM »

I have never been paid weekly. I have always been paid monthly and the days varied. There was always a deduction for pension. I was very far sighted.

Far sighted or no other option?

Jacqueline

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2020, 11:13:19 AM »
The days of forcing say a qualified jet engine designer that has been made redundant by Rolls Royce to go pick some cabbages or his benefits will cease are well gone.
If they want to do that job then OK, but to force them - No!

The unemployed can, quite rightly, tell the DWP that they will only accept jobs befitting their experience and qualification.
Anyhow why aren't those waiting to hear about their asylum claims or those that moved here from Eastern Europe not being told to do the job?

Is that true?  When my husband was made redundant and unemployed, although he was highly skilled and had been working in the same industry all his life he was expected to apply for any job he wasn't allowed to be picky.

mick607

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2020, 11:13:55 AM »
As kids we went spud picking, hard work but good times.

biglouis

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2020, 01:16:25 PM »
I took one employer to the cleaners for disability discrimination because they did not follow their own procedures. Back then you only had to have worked for the employer for a year to have the right to go to a tribunal but I believe it has now been extended to two.

My nephew also proceeded against an employer for "constructive dismissal" because his boss constantly referred to him as a "puff" and "shirt lifter". You have to be very careful how you dismiss employees nowadays and be able to show a paper trail of "warnings" and "opportunities for improvement/training" etc.

This is the reason why people who employ others on a casual basis as cleaners, gardeners etc now tell them "you are self employed".
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.