Author Topic: Do your bit  (Read 2969 times)

mick607

Re: Do your bit
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2020, 03:25:38 PM »
I sued a previous employer for breach of contract & unfair dismissal.Made redundant on the Friday without warning or consultation & the following Monday one of the directors brothers had moved departments to take up my job.My solicitor had a field day screwing my employers before my case got anywhere near the industrial tribunal.The icing on the cake was that about a year later the company I previously worked for went bankrupt, happy days   ;D ;D ;D

Glen

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2020, 04:45:25 PM »
The days of forcing say a qualified jet engine designer that has been made redundant by Rolls Royce to go pick some cabbages or his benefits will cease are well gone.  If they want to do that job then OK, but to force them - No!  

What!  .. if we  have more jet engine designers than we need it's alright for them to be kept by the tax payer then? Well you do it. Others who have skills no longer in need have to retrain or do other work. What if we all refused work other than our preferred skill set? Is it just the elite who can be picky?  

Glen

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2020, 04:48:03 PM »
A female pilot lost her job and became a long distance lorry driver. Not the same salary or kudos but she said not that much different. You just didn't  have auto pilot or co pilot.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2020, 05:31:22 PM »
The days of forcing say a qualified jet engine designer that has been made redundant by Rolls Royce to go pick some cabbages or his benefits will cease are well gone.  If they want to do that job then OK, but to force them - No!  

What!  .. if we  have more jet engine designers than we need it's alright for them to be kept by the tax payer then? Well you do it. Others who have skills no longer in need have to retrain or do other work. What if we all refused work other than our preferred skill set? Is it just the elite who can be picky?  

I think you missed the point. An unemployed individual is allowed for a time to dictate what job they want to do whilst claiming benefits. They just have to show that they have taken all reasonable steps to find it. The forcing of people immediately to do jobs that they don't want to do is long gone.
A young local solicitor friend was in the process of changing employer and decided to take a couple of months off in between jobs - it was summer after all!
He signed on at the Jobcentre as unemployed and received a weekly benefit payment with him telling them that he had a job to go to but just not yet.
I don't know about retraining - in all of my career I have done the same thing but at a much higher level the older I became. Never out of work, and each move was to both increase my income and take on more responsibility.

Alex22

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2020, 06:18:11 PM »
I wasn't aware you could  claim JSA if you'd handed in your notice ?

Glen

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2020, 07:26:07 PM »
Good point Alex 22/23... You have made yourself unemployed. I've never had to use the system. It sounds iffy but surely the solicitor would know. We're not going to be able to afford to keep the elite on the dole while they contemplate their navels. I'm  assuming highly qualified engineers would be able to turn their hands to many other things eg teaching which needs staff.  Do you think we should all be able to pick and choose while those doing the jobs we turn down pay their taxes to keep us?I've managed to apply for jobs  while working full time and so can they without relying on the public purse.

Diasi

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2020, 11:22:45 PM »

Is that true?  When my husband was made redundant and unemployed, although he was highly skilled and had been working in the same industry all his life he was expected to apply for any job he wasn't allowed to be picky.

Not in the DWP where I worked it wasn't.

Benefit claimants were expected to apply for any job & while they can't be physically dragged out of bed & forced to work, they got their benefits stopped.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

biglouis

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2020, 12:22:06 AM »
Some of the jobs I did while a mature student were very strange.

Some of you will be shocked (or maybe not) so here goes. I took a job on a chat/aka sex  line. Most of the callers were males who wanted to talk about sex. Some wanted you to talk very abusively to them. We had clients who were very well spoken and I suspect they had high status jobs.

One of my "roles" (we never used our real names) was Yvonne the stern leather mistress. I had a lot of fun telling high status men they had to lick my shiny thigh high black leather boots! I used to tell them they were my little doggies and they were all given names like Towser, Gyp and Spot. They had to answer to them and say woof woof. And they did!

What larks!

I once advertised a bed for sale in the paper and a man rang up and tried to do an obscene phone call. Poor devil - I terrified him so much he rang back later to say sorry.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2020, 12:24:36 AM »
A bit of dubbin wouldn't go amiss..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

biglouis

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2020, 03:08:30 AM »
I particularly enjoyed the whipping bit. Whipping them, that is.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.