Author Topic: Shady practice  (Read 1918 times)

digitalis

Shady practice
« on: May 20, 2020, 08:10:17 AM »
The Farage was on about fruit pickers yesterday on his LBC show. Lottsa GB people were phoning up or logging in to sign up for work on the fruit picking vacancies. Ooops-a-daisy...all phone lines down,website crashes. Meanwhile it is constantly repeated GB residents are too lazy in the job,dont want the work etc. The Farage took a deep breath then said...I don't believe it...and neither do I. He said there's something fishy going on here,then went on to speculate what might be happening.

I tend to believe him. Maybe you are 19/20 fit and able,want some adventure and to earn £500 - £650 pw by picking beans. Full of youth you'll forsake the farmers £200 pw week shared caravan doss hole,to take your own tent for a season. Money saved would send you round the world for 2 years,deposit on a house etc.

I guess there's farmers and farmers. There's Akenfield! And there's me at 11. Scythed back a whole quarry of nettles with a friend for half a crown. Half a good morning When I went to collect it farmer told me he had crept up on us and seen us sleeping. It was a lie. I walked away without the money. Some nasty folk out there. Not all. But enough

Glen

Re: Shady practice
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 08:28:50 AM »
I don't believe we're a lazy nation. Some are but few and far between. They get highlighted. Who wants to know about Mr and Mrs Ordinary working to keep themselves afloat. That was me and it's boring news. My kids all did casual jobs when at 6th form/uni. Rhubarb picking, screwing door handles on displays, cleaning, working in chicken factory. He became vegetarian for 3 months 😂. Lesson in life!

klondike

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 08:30:46 AM »
Had that been me then later in the season said farmer would find another free job done scything some crops.

This year they'll have to get picked by somebody already in the country or rot in the fields. Will make a handy trial for the next year assuming Boris doesn't cave in and we end up with constant transition extensions as some would love.
So long and thanks for all the fish

digitalis

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 08:47:08 AM »
Have watched many an English lad/lass a-working in work hereabouts. Lazy they are not. Just as with English workmen. Had 'em in my home a-working on all sortsa issues here: thorough grafters. I don't know where this spiel that we're lazy comes from: our Hon. Members down in Westminster perhaps!! They seem to be always opining the natives are racist tho the natives are really concerned about the numbers and their culture. As the Frage is labelled a right wing zealot nut by the Guardian you'd think he'd lay into the feckless local racist yobs. He didn't. Strange days! Isnt there some sorta saying or something: come war all the feckless local trash are heroes,but come peacetime they go back to being lice. Something like that anyways

klondike

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 08:55:50 AM »
The Eastern European gangmasters have a lot of the fruit and veg work sewn up. They don't need to comply with workers rights legislation so can give the farmers a better deal that they'd ever get from legitimate employees.

Walter

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 09:41:07 AM »
At least one Farmer/Grower has flown in East European seasonal workers to help gather his crops, I suspect many already here that usually work in the Hospitality Sector will apply for the work, like it or not they have a very good work ethic they are willing workers.

“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

mick607

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 11:28:35 AM »
Have watched many an English lad/lass a-working in work hereabouts. Lazy they are not. Just as with English workmen. Had 'em in my home a-working on all sortsa issues here: thorough grafters. I don't know where this spiel that we're lazy comes from: our Hon. Members down in Westminster perhaps!! They seem to be always opining the natives are racist tho the natives are really concerned about the numbers and their culture. As the Frage is labelled a right wing zealot nut by the Guardian you'd think he'd lay into the feckless local racist yobs. He didn't. Strange days! Isnt there some sorta saying or something: come war all the feckless local trash are heroes,but come peacetime they go back to being lice. Something like that anyways
Trouble nowadays is that it is far to easy to label some one a racist just because they don't agree with every snowflake principle.Just because I want to see an end to unchecked mass immigration doesn't make me a racist.

John V

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 12:04:00 PM »

I think there’s a far more simple explanation than the current ‘lazy’ one. We all work to earn money, it’s not voluntary work.

Let’s say you’re working for a minimum wage of £8.72ph. At 40 hours that’s £348 pw. Take off tax and insurance and that’s around a take home of £296pw. Now deduct from that say a rent paid of £100 and a JSA allowance of say £80 and you’re left with £116pw and that’s your profit! That’s 40 hour’s work at under £3ph!

The foreigners will work for that because those are the rates they’d be getting in their home countries if they could even get a job their own countries and we’re competing against that.

So the question is; are our benefits too high, or the wages too low? Is a roof over your head and £80pw too high, or is working for under £3ph too low? The current virus simply exposed the myth that Britain is doing great. In the first two weeks of the lockdown, people claiming benefits increased by a million and the bankruptcies are yet to come. The only people doing well in our ‘gig economy’ are the politicians, bankers and corporations.

I personally work and I’m £80pw week better off than if I were claiming benefits. That’s not a typo and that’s a total week, not every night. There are lots of poorly paid, worked to the bone jobs out there done by the millions who are struggling, in credit card debt and working from month to month to keep afloat.

Jacqueline

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 12:39:03 PM »
I think there’s a far more simple explanation than the current ‘lazy’ one. We all work to earn money, it’s not voluntary work.

Let’s say you’re working for a minimum wage of £8.72ph. At 40 hours that’s £348 pw. Take off tax and insurance and that’s around a take home of £296pw. Now deduct from that say a rent paid of £100 and a JSA allowance of say £80 and you’re left with £116pw and that’s your profit! That’s 40 hour’s work at under £3ph!

The foreigners will work for that because those are the rates they’d be getting in their home countries if they could even get a job their own countries and we’re competing against that.

So the question is; are our benefits too high, or the wages too low? Is a roof over your head and £80pw too high, or is working for under £3ph too low? The current virus simply exposed the myth that Britain is doing great. In the first two weeks of the lockdown, people claiming benefits increased by a million and the bankruptcies are yet to come. The only people doing well in our ‘gig economy’ are the politicians, bankers and corporations.

I personally work and I’m £80pw week better off than if I were claiming benefits. That’s not a typo and that’s a total week, not every night. There are lots of poorly paid, worked to the bone jobs out there done by the millions who are struggling, in credit card debt and working from month to month to keep afloat.

Although not in the care secter like you John, my daughter is working her socks off in a large warehouse for minimum wage via an agency ( how much rake off do these Agencies get? and without them maybe companies would employ people properly)  It's the only work she can get.

If anyone says to me lazy British, I'm not a violent person but I'd punch em on the nose!

Goingtoseed

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 12:40:56 PM »
There are lots of poorly paid, worked to the bone jobs out there done by the millions who are struggling, in credit card debt and working from month to month to keep afloat.

And so they should be.
If people are struggling to repay a large credit card debt - who is at fault? The card holder. I have no sympathy for people in that type and level of debt.
Everybody has a choice. Do I buy it when I can afford to or do I buy it now and put the cost on the credit card?

digitalis

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 12:44:01 PM »
Excellent post Mr John V. s repeated...I would like to see more foreign staff appointed to senior government posts: judges,guvners,army generals...the lot. By mass recruiting this foreign labour our seniors would show they're willing to diversify their well-paid and selected posts as well as us common folke have to. It would also reduce top salaries and pensions. As said ad nauseum I know some tip-top Romanians who are tri-lingual and better educated than our folk and would do their £300k pa jobs for £60k pa

klondike

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 12:47:38 PM »
got me sums wrong :(

biglouis

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 12:56:21 PM »
So the question is; are our benefits too high, or the wages too low?

This is a question I have long debated.

Like John I also choose to work although I run my own antiques business which is both a passion and a source of income to pay for some luxuries.

I also did fruit and pea picking when I was a teenager. We went in groups every summer and had a lot of fun as well as learning the work ethic that you only got paid for what you picked. Baskets were weighed and you were given a tally to hand in for each full load. The more talleys the bigger the wage.

I also worked in a chip shop when I was 14/15 and that taught me about upselling. If someone asked for chips I always asked if they wanted a fish as well or a bottle of tizer (this was before the coke craze) and many did.When I was older I did door to door selling of everything from carpet cleaning to cavity wall insulation.

British people are not lazy.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 01:08:51 PM »

Although not in the care secter like you John, my daughter is working her socks off in a large warehouse for minimum wage via an agency ( how much rake off do these Agencies get? and without them maybe companies would employ people properly)  It's the only work she can get.

If anyone says to me lazy British, I'm not a violent person but I'd punch em on the nose!
Unless you have bricklayers hands, never punch anyone hard in the face/head. The bones in the hand are surprisingly fragile, and you are likely to hurt yourself more than the well deserved recipient. Give ‘em a good kicking, preferably wearing heavy boots!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

sparky

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 01:09:52 PM »
Jacqueline, More often than not, the sort of people that accuse British workers of being lazy, are those that are sat on their arses, in nice. dry, air conditioned offices, on mega bucks, most British workers are not lazy, they just quite righty resent having to accept some of the worse and unsavory  jobs, purely because they are deemed to be unskilled.
[I recall donkeys years ago, doing some work in a large P&O second floor office, all levels of staff spent endless time when they were  not popping across the road to Lyons for their numerous tea breaks, going on about some builders opposite when they dared to stop for a rest from what was real work.