Author Topic: Shady practice  (Read 1916 times)

Diasi

Re: Shady practice
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2020, 08:10:06 AM »

I'm however a bit puzzled by John's assertion of the middle class collapsing.  Part of what we hear from others of our generation is that families used to all be in the same boat, poor but happy, didn't lock our doors etc.  Many on here moved up on the ladder of aspiration, and have children, and perhaps even grandchildren who have middle class life styles.  Societal studies have shown a large shrinkage in traditional working class households, as the middle has expanded.   Its those in the low paid, not classed as skilled (although that should be argued) jobs who are suffering. Not the doctors, lawyers, bankers, IT professionals, accountants, teachers etc.

It's time that the concept of class was consigned to the dustbin of history.

Talking about dustbins, it doesn't take long for the unskilled low-class binmen to be missed if they stop working.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2020, 08:13:02 AM »
Very true
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2020, 08:29:54 AM »
It's time that the concept of class was consigned to the dustbin of history.

Talking about dustbins, it doesn't take long for the unskilled low-class binmen to be missed if they stop working.

I agree. Carers and cleaners too.  The rigid boundaries have to an extent disappeared, however, the higher echelons still tend to be filled by those whose backgrounds are privileged. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

digitalis

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2020, 08:45:41 AM »
Methinks class will still be evidenced in the slammers today. The Scrubs,other rat slammers,will be chocca full of the wretches. The open air 'hostels' will be full of the white crime crims,the Jeffrey Archer crowd,maybe some o the vid watching X sex paedos.

If you can do your crime by line(on-line),itsa 'hostel' for you. The more knuckle dragging crimes go to the dungeon prisons. The dungeon prison crims come from the sink hole estates. At this time I don't want to disparage crims or their crimes cos it gives a lotta middle and upper class goo jobs and fat pensions: judges,law makers,top cops.

Facts. No knife sharpening.

John V

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2020, 07:10:14 PM »

The middle-class has been declining in the UK for years. By middle-class I mean the professional classes. Doctors, teachers, nurses … It’s why so many in those professions are having to be recruited from abroad. Compare that to China who have a booming middle-class. It’s not just the UK either, we’re now in a post-industrial era gig economy and its showing.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/03/demise-middle-classes-british-politics-digital-age

https://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-middle-class-is-exploding-2016-8?r=US&IR=T