Author Topic: Captain/Colonel Tom knighted!  (Read 2090 times)

StephenM123

Re: Captain/Colonel Tom knighted!
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2020, 10:36:58 AM »
I think Captain Tom is a fantastic person as all the others mentioned. However, I am uneasy with the timing of the Knighthood as it feels some good news to bury bad news like care homes, PPE, testing, etc.

Personally I dislike the honours system and universities handing out honoury degrees. I think three people I have worked with over 40 years and myself are more worthy of honoury doctorates than most awarded from my old university! But we would not get them the column inches!

I am also a bit tired of the clapping. Yesterday evening quite a few people emerged around 7:00pm and I imagined there would be a massive clap. There wasn't but social distancing rules were broken again. Why clap for the  NHS and immediately disregard the rules that help protect it. What gets me is a friend developed a serious issue just after lockdown started. He has been bounced around between hospitals and sees a third next week. Over two weeks down the line they can't even tell him the result of an MRI!

GrannyMac

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2020, 11:28:07 AM »
What a great guy, and what a tragedy to lose both his wife and his daughter
Mike

I think it was within a couple of years Mike.  He helps himself by focusing on helping the charity that supported him.  Everyone here knows him.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2020, 12:26:23 PM »
So sad - losing my wife, brother, sister and dog in rapid succession, I can feel for the poor man
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2020, 05:56:38 PM »
So sad - losing my wife, brother, sister and dog in rapid succession, I can feel for the poor man
Mike

Not easy for you or anyone in that situation. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2020, 09:33:06 PM »
very true, granny
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2020, 10:19:55 PM »
I suspect that, despite his demeanour, Col Tom is probably getting a bit fed up of all the fuss by now and is looking forward to getting his quiet life back again..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.