Author Topic: Captain/Colonel Tom knighted!  (Read 2086 times)

Johned

Re: Captain/Colonel Tom knighted!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 02:27:52 AM »
I got a prize for constant attendance at Sunday School.

GrannyMac

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 06:55:29 AM »
I've still got the picture book I got as a reading prize when I was five or six. ☺️
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 07:47:01 AM »
The only time I ever won a prize at school - some sort of maths, can't even remember the details - I was sick in bed on Speech Day, so didn't even get to have it presented.
Mike 😥😥
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 08:00:23 AM »
His effort was definitely admirable & the honorary rank of Colonel was a nice gesture but I don't think it was worthy of a knighthood & had he just raised a few £thousand I doubt he would have got the award.

There have been people who've regularly stood outside for several decades, with a collecting bucket, & have raised maybe a few tens of £ thousands & who get a line in the local rag paper or local TV news & nothing more than that.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 08:15:39 AM »
His effort was definitely admirable & the honorary rank of Colonel was a nice gesture but I don't think it was worthy of a knighthood & had he just raised a few £thousand I doubt he would have got the award.

There have been people who've regularly stood outside for several decades, with a collecting bucket, & have raised maybe a few tens of £ thousands & who get a line in the local rag paper or local TV news & nothing more than that.
When you look at some of the folk who get knighted, I reckon it wouldn't have too unreasonable to have made him a duke!
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2020, 08:19:30 AM »
When you look at some of the folk who get knighted, I reckon it wouldn't have too unreasonable to have made him a duke!
Mike

That's like arguing that a rubbish student should get a 1st class honours degree because they were less rubbish than the rest of the year.

The whole honours system should have been scrapped years ago as it's a throw-back to being in the King's favour.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2020, 08:37:11 AM »
I don'r see him as 'less rubbish'
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2020, 08:48:17 AM »
Ah, didn't word that very well - I mean I regard him as a very worthy old gentleman
Mike

Walter

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2020, 08:51:29 AM »
I think most people like a pat on the back be it from your parents family and friends work colleagues for your efforts, achievements, now and again.

Some go the extra mile to help others working quietly away in the background for, their community their country, or excelling in their chosen field be it sport, the environment, charity, medicine , research, the Arts etc.

It is now getting better IMHO more ordinary people doing extraordinary things are now being quite rightly receiving recognition officially and long over due.

Anyone of us can nominate a person for an award it is quite a simple process as I understand it, then a committee is informed who will consider it.

https://www.gov.uk/honours  

“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

klondike

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2020, 09:49:34 AM »
I wonder who got the charity walk publicised so well. Without that there would have been no millions. Good luck to him anyway though. He must be amazed and pleased at the money raised.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2020, 02:11:56 PM »
There's a Sikh, who's already a 100 yrs of age, doing fund raising for refugees, while also fasting for Ramadan, but he got 5 minutes on the news & nothing since.

https://bit.ly/2z9HjWt

Alex22

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2020, 02:15:02 AM »
He's a muslim man and has raised £150,000 so far for UK and Bangladeshi corona victims.  Interesting to see the outcome of this, he finishes when Ramadan ends-  on Sunday I think.

Plenty of information in The Sun  https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11446785/ramadan-2020-fasting-timetable-end/

Diasi

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2020, 08:11:39 AM »
He's a muslim man and has raised £150,000 so far for UK and Bangladeshi corona victims.  Interesting to see the outcome of this, he finishes when Ramadan ends-  on Sunday I think.

Plenty of information in The Sun  https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11446785/ramadan-2020-fasting-timetable-end/

Indeed he is a Muslim & I can't amend my post, so thanks for correcting it.

I originally intended posting a link about the turban-wearing Sikh who's doing some fund raising but all the links were for the Muslim guy but eventually I found the link, but not in a prominent placing.

For physical effort I reckon his takes some beating, even if he is a 73-yr-old youngster. 

https://bit.ly/2zbmD0g

GrannyMac

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2020, 08:29:48 AM »
We have our own older hero in Sheffield.  Known as 'The man with the pram' John Burkhill has raised £750,000 for Macmillan.  His aim is to raise a million£.   His daughter and his wife both died of cancer.  He's 80 now, and is well known across the city with his green wig, big green hand and his pram with a collection bucket.  Every time I see him people are talking to him, and putting change in his bucket.  He was awarded the British Empire Medal a few years ago.

https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/freedom-of-city-john-burkhill/
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2020, 09:47:03 AM »
What a great guy, and what a tragedy to lose both his wife and his daughter
Mike