Author Topic: A headmistress speaks out  (Read 7017 times)

stellamaris

Re: A headmistress speaks out
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 12:55:51 PM »
Some occupations are special.  Some are so special.  Some are so very, very special.  Some are producing people whose feet need to be kissed.  Some are so special they are angels with halos.  There are some who just think they are special.  And there are many, most, who are not special at all and are expected to just get on with it and keep the light shining on the special ones.

I am so confused I no longer know who is the most special case in the country.  So I won't bother fretting about it.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

klondike

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 12:56:25 PM »
Perhaps they should start full unrestricted attendance with the Lords.
So long and thanks for all the fish

zoony

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 01:02:59 PM »
Teaching youngsters as a man could be as walking on egg shells or walking over razor blades. I would want cctv everywhere!  to cover my butt from any false allegation from teacher,child or parent. I'd also want microphones placed everywhere to record all things said. There are so many things happening theseadays that you have to go in military prepared as if into battle. Thinkabout kids toileting,those taking medication,differretn ethnic groups,transgender issues,religion. Then you have angry mums,angry dads,professional complainents,genuine complainents,pushy parents,maybe neglected kids,kids that fantacize. One small step wrong and maybe 30 years of good practice could go up the Swannee...and yer innocent!

I've been on the brown end of such a malicious complaint and it was very unpleasant indeed. Not from a kid thankfully but what to the co-conspirators was a good laugh at my expense ended up being something very ugly and distressing...
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Ashy

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 01:14:37 PM »
A tad more logistically difficult to socially distance 650 MPs in one room, as opposed to 15 kids in one room.

Even more difficult in the Division Lobbies.
With the exception of prime minister's show questions and in some few cases the wind-up of a debate, there are normally only about 12 MPs in the commons, they can manage to sit apart. And if we can queue six foot apart and file into Tesco's I should think they can manage to vote too.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 01:35:13 PM »
Tough - how many times are there 650 there? Not often
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2020, 01:50:33 PM »
Actually there are never 650 of them because the deputy speakers and Sinn Fein do not attend the house. There may possibly be 650 persons including officials but that is exceptional.

Glen

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2020, 03:49:52 PM »
I have just re-read the Headteacher rant again which Bee posted. If she wanted to set people against teachers she's done a really good job!

We work a longer week than any other profession I know (with the exception of, perhaps, doctors).

That doesn’t account for the hours I do at home after school or the hours of catching up I do at the weekend, in between trying to be a parent, doing the shopping, washing, and cleaning.

at the same time we are home schooling our own children, we are worried about our elderly parents who are shielding, worrying if we can pay the mortgage if our partner is furloughed or out of work, we are still shopping, for us and others, collecting prescriptions...trying to keep our head above water.

Does she mean  like everyone else?
She is a well paid, well qualified professional. She has choices. There are some fabulous hardworking teachers out there. There are also some fabulous equally hardworking  non teachers out there. Sorry, she has irtitated me!

biglouis

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2020, 04:00:21 PM »
When I think what some of the teachers in my school got off with it makes me quite angry.
When I was 11 a head teacher bullied me into admitting I had done something of which I was innocent. My grandmother always held that incident responsible for my failing the 11 plus. If a teacher behaved like that now they would be out on their ear.

When I was 14 the maths teacher put his hand on one of my breasts and told me i was a "big girl". Fortunately I had wised up by then and grown a lot harder and smarter. I told him that if he ever picked on me in the maths lesson again I would snitch on him. I dont think he ever spoke to me again.

There are people now suing their old education authority because of the traumatic effect it had on them. I wish I had some evidence.

When I saw studying for GCE our much loved form teacher became ill with cancer and subsequently died. We had a series of subs. My friend and I more or less did out own work for the GCE and both passed without much help from these temporary English teachers.

My friend went into teaching and many years later I went into university teaching.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Bee

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2020, 04:23:44 PM »
I have just re-read the Headteacher rant again which Bee posted. If she wanted to set people against teachers she's done a really good job!

We work a longer week than any other profession I know (with the exception of, perhaps, doctors).

That doesn’t account for the hours I do at home after school or the hours of catching up I do at the weekend, in between trying to be a parent, doing the shopping, washing, and cleaning.

at the same time we are home schooling our own children, we are worried about our elderly parents who are shielding, worrying if we can pay the mortgage if our partner is furloughed or out of work, we are still shopping, for us and others, collecting prescriptions...trying to keep our head above water.

Does she mean  like everyone else?
She is a well paid, well qualified professional. She has choices. There are some fabulous hardworking teachers out there. There are also some fabulous equally hardworking  non teachers out there. Sorry, she has irtitated me!

There is an old saying........the truth hurts.

I know this headmistress and she speaks the truth and the reason she spoke out like that is because of the absurd idea of opening the schools on 1st June and many of the public assuming that because the schools are closed the teachers are on one long holiday which is a load of [censored].
The only way is up....

mick607

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2020, 05:02:38 PM »
School teachers are not working long hours. They are a bit like farmers, always pleading poverty when they are all quite well off.They believe if they keep telling everyone how hard they work then the public will believe it's true.I certainly won't.
There is an old saying........the truth hurts.

Diasi

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2020, 05:17:13 PM »
School teachers are not working long hours. They are a bit like farmers, always pleading poverty when they are all quite well off.They believe if they keep telling everyone how hard they work then the public will believe it's true.I certainly won't.

The two teachers a couple of doors from us have either not been into their school for the lockdown period or they have been walking the several miles each day because their cars have hardly moved.

Just as they haven't moved today.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Jacqueline

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2020, 05:24:16 PM »
Perhaps she'd like to do a 12 hour shift in a warehouse or look after old people in a care home.  Why is she a special case, she chose to be a teacher.  No sympathy at all.

When my granddaughter was in Primary School half the teachers were off on maternity leave with temporary teachers taking their place. When they came back from maternity leave many reduced their hours so the kids didnt  have a full time teacher. They are not all dedicated to the job.

Diasi

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2020, 05:37:46 PM »
Perhaps she'd like to do a 12 hour shift in a warehouse or look after old people in a care home.  Why is she a special case, she chose to be a teacher.  No sympathy at all.

When my granddaughter was in Primary School half the teachers were off on maternity leave with temporary teachers taking their place. When they came back from maternity leave many reduced their hours so the kids didnt  have a full time teacher. They are not all dedicated to the job.

Social distancing on the building sites will be interesting to watch, especially the jobs that are designated as a two-man lift.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Jacqueline

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2020, 05:41:48 PM »
Social distancing on the building sites will be interesting to watch, especially the jobs that are designated as a two-man lift.

Exactly, social distancing is impossible in many occupations.

Glen

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2020, 06:05:28 PM »
Stellamaris👍
Bee, I appreciate teachers. I don't appreciate someone on about £60,000 thinking  she is SO special.
The only profession to work harder are doctors
She earns twice the average wage. The problems she complains about, home schooling, sheiding  parents, furloughing etc are not just happening to teachers. She has been in teaching a long time and seems to be oblivious to the fact that "ordinary" mortals have these problems too. Many work really hard as well but get on with it.