Author Topic: A headmistress speaks out  (Read 7022 times)

Bee

A headmistress speaks out
« on: May 21, 2020, 07:29:25 AM »
An almighty row has blown up over whether children should return to school on June 1.
Education Secretary Gavin Williamson has called on teachers to do their duty and says the risk of transmission of Covid-19 is no more than any other profession.

However, teachers union say classrooms could become centres of transmission.

Here Mayflower Primary School’s head teacher Liz Bartholomew calls for support from the nation.

STOP blaming teachers, stop shaming teachers, stop trying to make us feel guilty.

We just want our pupils, staff and their families to be safe.
We are not asking for much, we are not letting the country down, we are simply asking for proof that pupils and staff will be safe.
We want our straight forward questions answered.
I am sick and tired of hearing my profession devalued, criticised and vilified on national news and now by the Government.
We are doing our bit for the country; I have been teaching for 26 years, seven of them as a head teacher, and nothing has come close to the pressure we have been under, to the hours we have been working, to the strain we have been under as as with this international crisis, Covid-19.

We have not been at home doing nothing, this has not been an extended holiday.

Full article here.....

https://www.harwichandmanningtreestandard.co.uk/news/north_essex_news/18460666.mayflower-primary-school-head-stop-blaming-shaming-teachers/
The only way is up....

Bee

Re: A headmistress speaks out
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 07:38:39 AM »
I know that my daughter in law under normal circumstances goes into school early long before the school day starts and doesn't leave the school until 6-6.30 and then she has work to do during the evening, marking and preparing lessons, plus work she has to do during school holidays as well.

Since the school closures she has been working even longer hours...with research...preparations and marking plus having to go into school once a week to supervise the vulnerable children that still have to go to school.
The only way is up....

digitalis

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 08:34:08 AM »
As a man(albeit one now retired),I wonder what I would be more afraid of working at a Primary School theseadays: Covid19,the children,or the female teachers. I think I'd take on covid and the kids first. Sorry. Misogynistic I know. The odds are stacked against you should any dispute arise. Most men are reviled theseadays. Broad brush statement I know,and as I say it I have to runaway and hide behind a chair for airing what is covertly known. 'Tis one reason why few men go into Primary School teaching jobs. I'd be more frightened of 2 female teachers than any Bat covid today

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 08:48:17 AM »
Our new, young, next door neighbours are primary school teachers.  The man works in a school in a fairly deprived area. They've been working as Bee's daughter in law has, plus I know he's visited his pupils.  I think its a shame there aren't more men teaching the younger age groups.  Some of the children don't have any male family members to relate to.   

The female teachers I've met at my grandchildren's schools are a far cry from some of the old harridans who taught me.  The headmaster of one of the primary schools is well liked and respected by everyone, parents, staff and children, he seems to have coped fine Digi..... 😄

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Glen

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 09:48:15 AM »
I'm not saying this headmistress and her teachers don't work hard. However, she appears to have little  concept of the working life of others. Come on! Part of my family "were" London based until the virus. They leave at 5.30am and return at 8pm working on the train as well. It is not unusual. Certainly 7am - 6.30 is the norm for the rest of my family. They are also professionals. This is the modern world. They don't get 13 weeks holiday and we all get  ill.  They are also home schooling. Job share is not unusual in teaching. There are options. As I said I'm not saying they don't work hard but so do plenty of others who create the wealth to pay their not insubstantial salaries and pensions.  

klondike

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 09:54:43 AM »
I'd be more worried for the older teachers and grandparents of the children going to school than anybody else. There is no way that transmission of anything can be prevented in scools and you can bet your life that the lower paid are going to be using grandparents as childminders once they are at school assuming they aren't already.
So long and thanks for all the fish

xetog

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 10:12:44 AM »
It is said that many children are getting no schooling at all.  Not surprising looking at the education levels achieved by many of their parents.  Children can catch up though.  When young, I was seriously ill and off school for about a year.  It took me a while to catch up, but I did it due to dedicated teachers and so will the majority of kids these days if motivated to do so.  Just after the war there were few male teachers in my school, but within a few years returning soldiers had retrained and my senior years were spent under the tutelage of these remarkable men who were so respected.  Today, parents don't respect teachers, I wonder why?

I have little faith in any governmental crisis handling, but unions make the situation as difficult as they can.  Even the doctors union (BMA) sided with the naysayers at first but have now changed their tune and agree it is safe.  There are schools in the UK that have never closed without a single notified case of Coronavirus, as well as many in other countries that have shown the UK's plans for returning to class are timid, but this is not enough for the unions who have seized on the change to destabilise the Government in spite of massive evidence that they are wrong.  Too many in the profession are following them like lambs IMO.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Raven

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 11:06:44 AM »
Westminster should lead by example and return to having full attendance daily for a few weeks, before saying others should return to work/school. Lets see how it pans out for them first, before saying the kids should go first.  >:(

mick607

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 11:12:18 AM »
It's all because of snowflake school teachers not wanting to go back to work. Not surprising when they are receiving full pay.Nice work if you can get it.

Diasi

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 12:06:38 PM »
It's all because of snowflake school teachers not wanting to go back to work. Not surprising when they are receiving full pay.Nice work if you can get it.

I can only speak from my personal experience.

Some of my previous extended family were teachers, two who lived a few doors away & one who lived with us for a while.

I can state that none of them left home before 8am & all of them were home by 5pm (with the exception of the parents' evening).

Of course I can't say that they didn't do any work in the evenings where we didn't visit.

If the one who lived with us did any evening marking she must have done it in the pub where she worked part time.

Where I live now we have two teachers who live a couple of doors away & they're the same, leave home at around 8:15am & back home at anywhere between 4:30pm & 5pm.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Bee

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 12:22:42 PM »
Westminster should lead by example and return to having full attendance daily for a few weeks, before saying others should return to work/school. Lets see how it pans out for them first, before saying the kids should go first.  >:(

Thanks Raven for a positive comment.
The only way is up....

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 12:27:15 PM »
I agree. To see the chamber virtually empty hardly inspires confidence in anyone told it’s safe to go back to work
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

digitalis

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 12:49:08 PM »
Teaching youngsters as a man could be as walking on egg shells or walking over razor blades. I would want cctv everywhere!  to cover my butt from any false allegation from teacher,child or parent. I'd also want microphones placed everywhere to record all things said. There are so many things happening theseadays that you have to go in military prepared as if into battle. Thinkabout kids toileting,those taking medication,differretn ethnic groups,transgender issues,religion. Then you have angry mums,angry dads,professional complainents,genuine complainents,pushy parents,maybe neglected kids,kids that fantacize. One small step wrong and maybe 30 years of good practice could go up the Swannee...and yer innocent! 

Diasi

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 12:50:38 PM »
A tad more logistically difficult to socially distance 650 MPs in one room, as opposed to 15 kids in one room.

Even more difficult in the Division Lobbies.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)