Author Topic: A headmistress speaks out  (Read 7015 times)

Ashy

Re: A headmistress speaks out
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2020, 06:30:02 PM »
If they were so concerned they can take the desks outside and teach in the open air.

klondike

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2020, 08:28:41 PM »
Good idea. They could maybe use the sports fields. Well those that haven't been sold off or covered with portacabin classrooms could be.
So long and thanks for all the fish

zoony

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2020, 08:33:37 PM »
Or turned into enormous car parking areas like the school I went to. It's an impressive looking place now and has an excellent reputation..and enough parking space for a small out-of-town shopping centre..Must say, the kids look better now than we did then.. ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Bee

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2020, 10:49:51 PM »
School teachers are not working long hours. They are a bit like farmers, always pleading poverty when they are all quite well off.They believe if they keep telling everyone how hard they work then the public will believe it's true.I certainly won't.
There is an old saying........the truth hurts.

You wouldn't know what the truth was if it jumped up and bit you on the bum.

I can assure you teachers are working long hours and not getting paid extra for it, whether you believe it or not I couldn't care less but I know it is the truth from personal experience and it is not just since the schools had to close, they were doing that long before then.
The only way is up....

Glen

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2020, 11:32:31 PM »
Bee, if her complaint is that schools may be opening 1st June that is the point she should have addressed. Instead, she put her profession and their hard work above all others (except doctors). I accept life may  be difficult for some teachers especially those in high managerial roles. Life is difficult for lots of others in the same position equally. They have the same problems which is something she fails to recognise. Furlough, elderly parents, home schooling, mortgages etc affects many. Why are teachers so special (next to doctors )? We will have to agree to disagree.  

old rocker

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2020, 12:16:19 AM »
The stress they have been under give me a break.  I am luckily semi retired doing some road transport compliance consultancy work which mostly I can do from home.  My wife no spring chicken either is a pharmacy tech with one of the big high street chemists and has been working 6 days a week to make sure prescriptions etc are fulfilled and dealing face to face with the customers.  My son drives HGVs he's a tramper basically that means he leaves home Sunday or Monday travelling up and down the country coming back home Friday or Saturday.  He sleeps in his truck but washing toilet facilities are in truckstops shared by many so that ups the risks of contacting the virus. No clapping for him on a Thursday and this pampered woman wants guarantees, if everyone wanted that the country would come to a standstill. Or maybe the common working man will dig us out of a hole again
Wish I didn't know now what I didn't Know then

mick607

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2020, 07:41:48 AM »
Another thing with school teachers that gets my goat is so called in service training days. Inset days. Always tagged on the end of a school holiday. A few years ago in my work I visited schools & soon learned that Inset days were just a teacher's lazy day. Many times I saw teachers watching DVDs in the staff room instead of so called fraining. Just another scam teachers are allowed to get away with.

biglouis

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2020, 12:50:30 PM »
Have to admit to seeing a few TV programs on schools and I do feel sorry for the burden of bureaucracy that school teachers have to undergo nowadays. All the hoops that have to be jumped through, hurdles to be leaped, that are set up by standard loving bean counters. They spend more time on the red tape than they do on the teaching. And the effort that goes into preparing for one of those damned Ofstead visits .....

There is also the time that is sucked up being social workers, therapists and counselers to kids with problems. Teachers are increasingly standing in for parents who aren't doing their job of teaching their offspring respect for authority figures.

While all this may not compare with the manual effort of digging holes in the road or working in an Amazon warehouse it does waste a lot of time that should be devoted to lesson preparation and work assessment.

I dont often agree with Bee.  Some of the remarks on this thread are yet more evidence of the obtuse streak of anti intellectualism which permeates this forum.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

old rocker

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2020, 01:41:18 PM »
So what makes all school teachers intellectuals some are some are not.  Some truckers, warehouse workers, labourers, retail workers and all other walks of life are some are not.  Having a degree and teaching qualification does not make you an intellectual
Wish I didn't know now what I didn't Know then

mick607

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2020, 02:52:43 PM »
Have to admit to seeing a few TV programs on schools and I do feel sorry for the burden of bureaucracy that school teachers have to undergo nowadays. All the hoops that have to be jumped through, hurdles to be leaped, that are set up by standard loving bean counters. They spend more time on the red tape than they do on the teaching. And the effort that goes into preparing for one of those damned Ofstead visits .....

There is also the time that is sucked up being social workers, therapists and counselers to kids with problems. Teachers are increasingly standing in for parents who aren't doing their job of teaching their offspring respect for authority figures.

While all this may not compare with the manual effort of digging holes in the road or working in an Amazon warehouse it does waste a lot of time that should be devoted to lesson preparation and work assessment.

I dont often agree with Bee.  Some of the remarks on this thread are yet more evidence of the obtuse streak of anti intellectualism which permeates this forum.
Far too many "Mickey Mouse" degrees these days. A lot of universities invent those degree courses to get bums on seats. it's all about money, nothing else.

Glen

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2020, 03:06:59 PM »
Biglouis
"Some of the remarks on this thread are yet more evidence of the obtuse streak of anti intellectualism which permeates this forum."

One thing I have never condidered you to be is an intellectual . I don't think I've noticed any critical thinking nor human self reflextion in your posts.  A collection of certificates does not an intellectual  make as you have proven so well.

Audrine

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2020, 12:25:10 AM »
Bit you on the bum. So  rude & class less expression. Audrine

Bee

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2020, 03:00:43 AM »
The only way is up....

Diasi

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2020, 08:17:29 AM »
Apparently an intellectual is a person who engages in critical thinking and reading, research, writing, and human self-reflection about society.

And after much critical thinking, self-reflection & research, decides that it's a good idea to reduce the age of gay consent from 18 to 16 in order to provide the 'users' with a pool of legal & vulnerable young boys.

Anyway, back to the subject in hand, no pun intended, I fully accept what Bee says about teachers, based her personal knowledge, but in return I would hope that others accept what I say about teachers, based on my personal knowledge.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ashy

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2020, 08:56:24 AM »
Teachers are paid more than many industrial managers and they have very long holidays too, the least they can do is go and do the job they are supposed to do. Of course they would like to keep it going until September, that's human nature. However they could be laid off and not be paid for sitting at home.