Author Topic: ice creams, fruit, and veg, from the past,?  (Read 372 times)

Alfred

ice creams, fruit, and veg, from the past,?
« on: May 21, 2020, 08:20:07 AM »
Although we are spoilt for choice today when it comes to fruit and vegetables, i some times think of fruit such as golden plumbs, damsons, and so  on.

which then tasted heavenly, or jersey potatoes which had a taste of their own and when eating them you had no doubt where they came from, you rarely see them if at all in supermarkets, and yet seem to lack taste,

with some food force fed to which the fruit looks beautiful but the taste doesn't match the colour  of  the fruit , and the same for sweet smelling flowers, the looks are and can be deceiving,

how about  Lyons ice creams which then came rolled up and fitted on the top 
of an ice cream cone wafer, and it was really lovely tasty ice cream,
do you remember eating one of those that ice cream was delicious,

i can  remember on many occasions  buying lemon ice, with real pieces of lemon  mixed in it and again that too simply was mouth watering to say the least,

i think many of us have past memories  of some thing we liked and now sadly no longer seem to taste the way it did then, when we were that much younger,  or some items simply have vanished completely ,

Q;  do you recall some of yester years tasty treats  be it fruit , veg or even ice creams  or what ever , and will you share your thoughts with us,.

Sheila

Re: ice creams, fruit, and veg, from the past,?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 08:26:25 AM »
Spanish strawberries look lovely but are tasteless.  A home grown strawberry warm from the sun is lovely, quick rinse and eaten straight away - gorgeous.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 08:35:22 AM »
I've given up on supermarket strawberries long ago - but during the season there is a stall in the next village selling local straws - lovely
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 08:37:09 AM »
I agree Sheila, I much prefer UK grown strawberries, and I always look for Scottish rasps.  The best in the world!  Our son has the remnants of an orchard in his garden, and the plums and greengages we picked last summer off the old trees were delicious.

Growing up we didn't have a fridge, so if we had ice cream as a pudding, I'd be sent to the grocers five minutes away for a block of vanilla or neapolitan, which would be sliced and served with tinned fruit.  A real treat, but now we all have freezers, ice cream, in all its varieties, is no longer special.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais