Author Topic: Beaches and beauty spots  (Read 886 times)

GrannyMac

Beaches and beauty spots
« on: May 21, 2020, 10:31:34 AM »
So while we are all self isolating,  social distancing and only going out for exercise  and essentials, or working and home schooling, our beaches have been busy.

How come? 

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

Re: Beaches and beauty spots
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 10:57:18 AM »
I thought that was now OK in England provided social distancing was observed?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Raven

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 11:02:52 AM »
I've never stopped walking with the dog on our beach, usually got it to ourselves first thing in the morning. But I know other people use it too.

mick607

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 11:04:31 AM »
So while we are all self isolating,  social distancing and only going out for exercise  and essentials, or working and home schooling, our beaches have been busy.

How come?
Keep up at the back granny, some lockdown rules have been relaxed.
To be perfectly honest I cannot see any problem if social distancing rules are maintained.The beach is a much safer place than the supermarket. not everyone can get a delivery slot.

Ashy

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 11:13:44 AM »
If the public conveniences aren't open I won't be going.

Scrumpy

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 11:55:59 AM »

Brighton beach wasn't self distancing over the last couple of days..It was buzzing..

Like Ashy... No loo.. No go.. I bet the sea water wasn't very healthy.. ;)
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 01:29:44 PM »
I saw some photos, social distancing? Loos closed in many places. Whilst I think locals are fine going onto beaches now, driving long distances? Not necessary yet IMO.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

klondike

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 05:12:43 PM »
Telephoto shots will make people look a hell of a lot closer together than they actually are. That said from what I saw of Southend beach on the TV news I think I'd have avoided it. Of course I'm well past the first flush of youth and getting infected for me is probably a much more serious matter than it is for 99% of the under 50s.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 05:54:34 PM »
Also let us not forget that Southend is in a large residential area stretching for miles inland and along the estuary. Most of the beach is muddy with sand nearer the coast, so we should not be surprised to see it full of people when they have nothing to do.

Alfred

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 07:52:33 AM »
I would have thought people would have spaced them selves away from other people but seeing the photos of southend beach to which as a child i had many a happy time their,  seeing the crowded beach reminded me of how it was all those years ago,

and the thoughts of the then kursal brought back endless memories when it was all hustle and bustle as even the high street then was so crowded that people simply walked into the road as traffic was very close to them as then even busses went down the high street as the pavements went that wide

eating candy floss  ice creams, and rock were the order of the day , im sure as many forum members who went to southend for a day trip would have remembered, crowds of men standing out side the over crowded pubs who were doing a trade and every shop arcade was much the same  even the children's  boating lake ,  did you ever go on that one,

so these photos brought back many happy memories of yesteryear as hundreds of coaches packed car parks  almost to over crowding,
lovely days  it was nice seeing those photos even though we live in troubled times,

Ashy

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 08:37:44 AM »
I am pleased to find (on the net) that Southend has kept most of its public toilets open and they are opening a few more next week. I expect there will be plenty of take away food shops working too, but on a nice day visitors will have to eat on the beach and the prom. To be honest, on a hot day in the open air they are not likely to catch anything if they are sensible.

xetog

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 10:11:00 AM »
Alfred.  Your words bring back memories.  I have one of travelling from Whitstable (we lived in Canterbury at that time) to Southampton (Pier) on a paddle steamer.  The memory is hazy, but could it have been the Medway Queen?  I will have to look into it.  I also have happy memories of paddle steamers like the Golden Eagle which, when we lived in London we used to take day trips.  Did they break the journey at Southend?  I know how thrilled I felt, being allowed supervised trips down into the engine room, I think that's why I became an engineer.  Having tripped the memory, I must now do some research.

Mike.X

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

ronyork

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 11:19:54 AM »
Royal Dafodill, among others sailed from Tower Bridge every day except Friday for Southend and Margate  Iremember a wonderful day out,the train on the pier ,fish and chips, eel,s and cockles on the stalls. Sometimes listening  to Happy Harry singing  on the prom and if the penny’s were not appearing he would sing its rolling in its rolling in, the boats were operated from Tower  Bridge by The General Steam and navigation company think they had four pleasure boats , parts of the river really smelt on a hot day somewhere on the river sewage was loaded onto boats to be taken out beyond Margate to dump into open water they were called Bovril boats ,Iknow this because I was stationed on H.S.Launch Humourist operating from Sheerness the boats themselves were spotless.