Author Topic: Dover Today. The Latest!  (Read 82374 times)

klondike

Re: Dover Today. The Latest!
« Reply #915 on: Sep 22, 2020, 10:44:48 AM »
Probably the bus companies did too. Caribbean and India. Anybody recall the "You can't get on I'm Ram Jam Full" joke which of course I could never complete these days.
So long and thanks for all the fish

GrannyMac

« Reply #916 on: Sep 22, 2020, 10:45:44 AM »
They will indeed, but the point that's trying to be made is that immigrants should not be getting benefits.

Even the ones who've been here years, worked and paid their taxes?  Unfortunately 'immigrants' seems to only conjure up a picture of young men getting out of boats or lorries with their hands out.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

klondike

« Reply #917 on: Sep 22, 2020, 10:52:05 AM »
Even the ones who've been here years, worked and paid their taxes?  Unfortunately 'immigrants' seems to only conjure up a picture of young men getting out of boats or lorries with their hands out.
You are deliberately misrepresenting what Diasi meant. Cleary he is talking of our cross channel mariners and not those arriving legally and for the most part working for a living. Most of those in your category would not be getting benefits anyway other than the general top ups necessitated by the huge increase in house prices caused by allowing the influx to exceed building to the point many 30+ year olds are still living with their parents.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #918 on: Sep 22, 2020, 11:06:12 AM »
Probably the bus companies did too. Caribbean and India. Anybody recall the "You can't get on I'm Ram Jam Full" joke which of course I could never complete these days.
London Transport recruited in the west indies and were very generous to the immigrants, finding them accommodation and paying their wages before they started work. It upset a lot of ordinary decent people at the time. However the first immigrants were not invited, the Windrush was not making a scheduled voyage.

digitalis

« Reply #919 on: Sep 22, 2020, 11:21:05 AM »
Granny mac.  But were the Windrush generation really invited here?  I have yet to find any convincing document that says they were, although of course my search may be faulty.  At the time any citizen of the empire could come here without a visa anyway.  If they were invited I wonder why as the excuse given, the need for labour does not stack up?  At the time thousands of Brits were being given a £10 cruise to Australia because there weren't enough jobs for all the returning servicemen. Of course we had a Labour Government when it all kicked off so there is really no knowing, but I would really like to know if any such document exists, or was it some enterprising individual who realised they could make a killing on the fares to get here, just the same as the gangs do today?

Mike.X

Fascinating question by Mike. I tend to think the Windrush people have been screwed by May's 'get tough on immigration' agenda. I feel they have been stitched up. But were they invited in by the government at the time they came over? Why were British peoples leaving to find a better life in Australia at the time? It would be nice to see some independent documentary or discussion about it all. But I would no longer rely on the BBC to tell it. I think we all know here,we can no longer trust the state machinery. But back recently we were told if we voted to leave the EU the world was going to end,and even the apples and pears were going to go unpicked; War was going to break out with Russia and Obama of the Flint poisoned water lie,said we were going to the back of any trading queue with America. Yet I am still buying apples from Kent and I havent been called up.

??? ??

xetog

« Reply #920 on: Sep 22, 2020, 11:51:21 AM »
digitalis got my intent right.  I can see that we would want experienced people for the NHS, but bus drivers? I really have no axe to grind with the Windrush generation, but the current story is that the UK was in desperate need and they flocked here in their thousands to save us when that could not possibly have been the case.  Like after the first world war, enlisted men flooded back only to find their jobs were no longer there.  Knowing Blairs hate for Britain and the British, I half wondered if mass immigration was part of Labour policy even then.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

digitalis

« Reply #921 on: Sep 22, 2020, 12:34:05 PM »
Fast forward to 47 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZQlnJl8ZlY&t=17s

About 1 hr ago. Time now 12.31

Commentator says he thinks there is a secret agreement between French and English government to take a set number of the migrants pending other negotiations with us leaving the EU

I must agree. There is something happening here. Something underhand and clandestine

Diasi

« Reply #922 on: Sep 22, 2020, 12:37:49 PM »
London Transport recruited in the west indies and were very generous to the immigrants, finding them accommodation and paying their wages before they started work. It upset a lot of ordinary decent people at the time. However the first immigrants were not invited, the Windrush was not making a scheduled voyage.

Yes, you're correct, the Windrush passengers from Jamaica were on a commercial voyage, making their own way to the UK as members of the Commonwealth.

They came to the UK as fare-paying passengers because they thought they would get a better life.

The other half of the 1,027 fare-paying passengers on the Windrush were from Bermuda, Mexico, Burma, Gibraltar & Brits from Scotland, Wales & England, who were returning home.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

biglouis

« Reply #923 on: Sep 22, 2020, 12:58:11 PM »
Even a bunk in an ex army camp or a room in a crummy hotel plus food and a small allowance, is too much to give to someone who turns up uninvited and unwanted  in a dingy. 

Its tax payers money or borrowed by the government money more like, paying for them.  Would anyone on this site turn up at a strangers house and expect to be kept?

They are not getting bunks in army camps but 4 star luxury plus Netflix, wifi and all the trimmings. Meanwhile there are British born people having to use foodbanks.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

GrannyMac

« Reply #924 on: Sep 22, 2020, 02:08:32 PM »
You are deliberately misrepresenting what Diasi meant. Cleary he is talking of our cross channel mariners and not those arriving legally and for the most part working for a living. Most of those in your category would not be getting benefits anyway other than the general top ups necessitated by the huge increase in house prices caused by allowing the influx to exceed building to the point many 30+ year olds are still living with their parents.

No, I'm not.  The term 'immigrants' is used indiscriminately.  I know Diasi clearly understands that, but there are people for whom 'immigrant' means anyone with a brown skin.  They might be third or fourth generation, their families may all be in work, but they are all lumped together under the term immigrant.   

'Every immigrant is treated better than any one of us. They get free cars, free phones, great big houses that they don't have to pay for, and they can bring everybody from their home village to the UK at no cost.  Or not.'   

I'm very aware that many of those coming here by dinghy or lorry are economic migrants, and I think they should all be securely contained until their claims are quickly investigated, then shipped out as soon as its found they are not genuine.  Using hotels just shows how underprepared we are as a country.

This from the Mail.  I'm not at all surprised that people in and around Dover are worried, and I agree that the main problems are the smugglers who don't care who they transport, the French authorities and our own politicians for not setting up secure, basic accommodation where immigrants who enter without visas can be held and speedily sent home or given refugee status if genuine.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8749327/What-happens-migrant-boats-land-daily-Sue-Reid-reports-Kent.html
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #925 on: Sep 22, 2020, 02:19:26 PM »

Thanks Klondike, it never crossed my mind that I would need to explain that I was talking about recent immigrants & not those who arrived 50 years ago.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Diasi

« Reply #926 on: Sep 22, 2020, 02:36:07 PM »

The NHS actively recruited abroad in the 1950s.  Many came from the Caribbean to work in the health sector as a result.
 https://www.windrushday.org.uk/featured/caribbean-women-and-the-nhs/

The  Windrush generation is just a myth used to elicit sympathy for Jamaicans who chose to come to the UK in the 1950 for a better life & not to do us a favour.

We had to accept them as they were British Citizens of the Commonwealth.

There never was a so-called Windrush scheme.

Even if there had been an official Windrush scheme, the women in the article in your link could not have been part of it because they were recruited from 1955 & the Empire Windrush last sailed in 1954.

Cassandra

« Reply #927 on: Sep 22, 2020, 03:34:09 PM »
Its very apparent that this Tory Gov't has written our age group out of any consideration, witness TV licence fees etc. They think they have calculated right in only post 65 year olds caring about 'Asylum' seekers numbers running out of control. Impressing several hundred of these culturally opposed young men on small towns doesn't bother anyone else but us, - the Millenials they believe support it.

They figure many of us and our negative votes next time will be gone, along with this countries (England's) identity and eventually soul.

My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #928 on: Sep 22, 2020, 03:45:06 PM »
Sadly, can do nothing but agree
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

xetog

« Reply #929 on: Sep 22, 2020, 03:54:38 PM »
The thing I find so strange is that when a British family go abroad to live, they never cease to be British.  I was thinking of someone like Rudyard Kipling (not he of the cakes) who was born of British immigrant parents and lived and worked most of his life in India, but we never say he is Indian, yet when an Indian comes to Britain, whether he becomes a British citizen or not, his children become British by birth.  On that basis why do we not call RK Indian?

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.