Author Topic: Dover Today. The Latest!  (Read 82376 times)

klondike

Re: Dover Today. The Latest!
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2020, 08:44:18 AM »
Yes I've driven through Belgium. I think most folks do. Wasn't it the Germans who set the precedent?
So long and thanks for all the fish

Walter

« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2020, 09:03:01 AM »
Yes I've driven through Belgium. I think most folks do. Wasn't it the Germans who set the precedent?

:) :)
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

Ashy

« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2020, 10:30:17 AM »
Nothing concentrates the mind of an Englishman more than the threat of invasion. - Winston Churchill

Alex22

« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2020, 11:20:56 AM »
I have only ever driven through Belgium never stopped or taken a holiday there   

You took your life in your hands there Walter  !  worst drivers in Europe :)

Jacqueline

« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2020, 11:40:47 AM »
Nothing concentrates the mind of an Englishman more than the threat of invasion. - Winston Churchill

Threat?

digitalis

« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2020, 12:49:14 PM »
Biz oftentimes works by oblique but understood messages wherein suggestions and qualified language is well understood by both parties. On the 18th, golfer A goes a roundabout route to say to golfer B that X might be a solution to make profit/help rid yourself of said problem. If I'm sounding to obtuse let me make it clear. Large encampment of migrants camped around Calais. The migrants want to come to England. The French don't want them. An exercise by the combined forces of police,naval officers or whatever,is organized in Lille during the following days. Oops-a-daisy! a flotilla of boats sets sail to Dover in or around that time. Better still,the olde French shoulder-shrug to our own spineless border forces says,the migrants wanna go to the UK,we just cant help it if they set sail. We're powerless to stop 'em. Our own chinless wonders then accept all-comers with sunscreen,hot tea and, on a fine day, strawbs and cream.
The best footnote of all is that our hard-working teachers(those that work more harder than anyone else...or so I am told),then make sure that the class falls behind several years as Ahmed has to catch up with Peter and Alice.
PS. This scenario will not be happening to Hilary Benns children,nor any of the Kinnocks children. This is known as the Cummings Law. 

Ashy

« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2020, 02:26:19 PM »

Threat?
It was of course "only" a threat when the Great Man said it. It's a real invasion now and our government is not only allowing it but facilitating it. Madness.

biglouis

« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2020, 04:10:42 PM »
Been to Belgium many times to buy antiques. I dont speak Flemish but I do speak quite fluent French. However the inhabitants of the Flemish speaking part preferred to speak English to me rather than French. I could never get my head around that but its obviously a cultural thing.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Walter

« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2020, 07:07:22 PM »
You took your life in your hands there Walter  !  worst drivers in Europe :)

Nah I have driven in France and Portugal they take first prize with me, Romania gets very interesting was well

GrannyMac

« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2020, 07:22:04 PM »
It was of course "only" a threat when the Great Man said it. It's a real invasion now and our government is not only allowing it but facilitating it. Madness.

Where's this army of invasion? The weaponry, the air attacks? That's war, and enemy invasion. A few hundred unarmed people chancing their safety in dinghies, then at the mercy of the government isn't an invasion.  Its wrong, Priti Patel wants it stopped, Nigel wants it stopped, we want it stopped, but its nothing like the threat people like my dad fought against in WWII. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Walter

« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2020, 07:54:24 PM »
I agree as for shooting them at sea, a certain arse called Adolf and his U boat Crews did that or just left them to their fate 

Alex22

« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2020, 08:26:46 PM »

Nah I have driven in France and Portugal they take first prize with me, Romania gets very interesting was well

I've never driven in Romania Walter, but the other two I have.   I've watched drivers in Paris bump the cars in front and behind them to get parked :)   Portugal usually watching for mega pot holes, but nothing compares to spotting the little red number plates and my ex shouting "Belgian Alert, Belgian alert.  Quite funny now I look back.

Jacqueline

« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2020, 11:01:48 PM »

Where's this army of invasion? The weaponry, the air attacks? That's war, and enemy invasion. A few hundred unarmed people chancing their safety in dinghies, then at the mercy of the government isn't an invasion.  Its wrong, Priti Patel wants it stopped, Nigel wants it stopped, we want it stopped, but its nothing like the threat people like my dad fought against in WWII.

My father who fought as a Chindit in WW11 saw his hometown become 75% Asian, he wondered why he bothered,  that was an invasion and still they come will it ever end?

Goingtoseed

« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2020, 11:29:57 PM »
Biz oftentimes works by oblique but understood messages wherein suggestions and qualified language is well understood by both parties. On the 18th, golfer A goes a roundabout route to say to golfer B that X might be a solution to make profit/help rid yourself of said problem. If I'm sounding to obtuse let me make it clear. Large encampment of migrants camped around Calais. The migrants want to come to England. The French don't want them. An exercise by the combined forces of police,naval officers or whatever,is organized in Lille during the following days. Oops-a-daisy! a flotilla of boats sets sail to Dover in or around that time. Better still,the olde French shoulder-shrug to our own spineless border forces says,the migrants wanna go to the UK,we just cant help it if they set sail. We're powerless to stop 'em. Our own chinless wonders then accept all-comers with sunscreen,hot tea and, on a fine day, strawbs and cream.
The best footnote of all is that our hard-working teachers(those that work more harder than anyone else...or so I am told),then make sure that the class falls behind several years as Ahmed has to catch up with Peter and Alice.
PS. This scenario will not be happening to Hilary Benns children,nor any of the Kinnocks children. This is known as the Cummings Law.

And the poor residents of Kent have to fund the living and education costs of every unaccompanied 'child' that turns up in Dover, not Berkshire, not Yorkshire or even Somerset. They land at Dover - that's Kent's problem.

Walter

« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2020, 07:48:29 AM »
I've never driven in Romania Walter, but the other two I have.   I've watched drivers in Paris bump the cars in front and behind them to get parked :)   Portugal usually watching for mega pot holes, but nothing compares to spotting the little red number plates and my ex shouting "Belgian Alert, Belgian alert.  Quite funny now I look back.