Author Topic: are you interested in the history of where you lived,?  (Read 831 times)

Alfred

are you interested in the history of where you lived,?
« on: May 21, 2020, 02:21:55 PM »
For many years before i moved to Essex my wife and i lived for thirty years in Islington London, to which this area like many others has a vast amount of history even the history of streets listed alphabetically,

as well as famous people including actors and actresses as well, all very interesting stuff,  naturally my wife was born in Islington even after we had been married for many years before moving to Essex, with our son and daughter,.

there was one of many places  one being of a cattle market which at the time was the place to go to buy cattle, others of sir Hugh Middleton who brought water into Islington and the list goes on,

another interesting piece of history was of a place called cannonbery tower a place in the early years inhabited by monks,  and later had small plays acted out by amateur actors,

at one time this theatre had to have renovations as i believe some work was to do with cellars and it turned out that workmen working in this cellar found bottles and bottles of i assume wine or some drinkable  liquid,

well after a few hours it appears these workmen were found legless stoned out of their minds but happy , most likely paying for the buzz they got later with an hang over, even taking a serious chance of what ever it was that they were drinking, 

as many of us know many places in ww2 were bombed and even those places had some history attached to them,.

so bearing this in mind have you or did you live at some time or other in a place that had some history attached to it , if so will you share your memories of those places with us,

Walter

Re: are you interested in the history of where you lived,?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 04:23:27 PM »
Yes I was born within sight of Pendle Hill where the Pendle Witches were rounded up and put on trial in Lancaster 1612

Last witch trial in England 12 women were taken one died in prison awaiting trial, 11 were put on trial one was found not guilty the other ten hung,

The area was predominantly had a long history of the Cotton Trade until virtually all the Mills closed and demolished in the 70's 80's .

I lived in Islington for 13 years first lived off Old Street near the Barbican, then moved to Hackney then back to Islington when I married , had a flat in Cannonbury near Alwyne Square N1 near Highbury Corner

Moved to Barnet been here nearly 35 years a battle in the English Civil War took place not 10 mins walk away 
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

Jacqueline

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 06:36:56 PM »
Yes I was born within sight of Pendle Hill where the Pendle Witches were rounded up and put on trial in Lancaster 1612

Last witch trial in England 12 women were taken one died in prison awaiting trial, 11 were put on trial one was found not guilty the other ten hung,

The area was predominantly had a long history of the Cotton Trade until virtually all the Mills closed and demolished in the 70's 80's .

I lived in Islington for 13 years first lived off Old Street near the Barbican, then moved to Hackney then back to Islington when I married , had a flat in Cannonbury near Alwyne Square N1 near Highbury Corner

Moved to Barnet been here nearly 35 years a battle in the English Civil War took place not 10 mins walk away

My father was manager of Barnet Express Dairy in the late 1960s/70s.  We lived in Mill Hill, mum and I would go there on a Saturday, look around the shops and market, meet dad and go to a local cafe for dinner.

Before my husband and I were married we used to go once a week to the Red Lion in Barnet, it was a Chef and Brewer steakhouse back then, does it still exist?  Schooners of draft sherry while you waited for your table, the memories, that was 50 years ago, not quite ancient history but a long time ago.

My mother's family, grandparents and great grandparents were Islington folk.  I know they lived in Eade? Road at one time I think that was the 1911 census.  I need to go into my family tree and find out where the rest of them lived.

As for real history, my great, great, grandfather John James was born in Carmarthen in 1818, we live 15 miles from there now.  He was around at the time of the Rebecca Riots which was about toll gates and excessive charges.  He joined the army, deserted and found his way to Whitechapel, we're he met and married Sophia Munday in 1843.   My grandmother told me all about him, he was a tailor and would sit cross legged on the table sewing.  The family  used to have almighty rows about religion, John was protestant and Sophia was a convert catholic, must have been fun in their house.

Audrine

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 06:55:54 PM »
Enjoyed your peek at family history Jacqueline. Tell us more. Audrine

Hope you & family are coping & keeping well.

Walter

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 07:03:59 PM »

My father was manager of Barnet Express Dairy in the late 1960s/70s.  We lived in Mill Hill, mum and I would go there on a Saturday, look around the shops and market, meet dad and go to a local cafe for dinner.

Before my husband and I were married we used to go once a week to the Red Lion in Barnet, it was a Chef and Brewer steakhouse back then, does it still exist?  Schooners of draft sherry while you waited for your table, the memories, that was 50 years ago, not quite ancient history but a long time ago.

My mother's family, grandparents and great grandparents were Islington folk.  I know they lived in Eade? Road at one time I think that was the 1911 census.  I need to go into my family tree and find out where the rest of them lived.

As for real history, my great, great, grandfather John James was born in Carmarthen in 1818, we live 15 miles from there now.  He was around at the time of the Rebecca Riots which was about toll gates and excessive charges.  He joined the army, deserted and found his way to Whitechapel, we're he met and married Sophia Munday in 1843.   My grandmother told me all about him, he was a tailor and would sit cross legged on the table sewing.  The family  used to have almighty rows about religion, John was protestant and Sophia was a convert catholic, must have been fun in their house.

Good evening yes the Red Lion is still going still serving booze and food hopefully it will come back to life after lockdown, been there on a few Sunday lunchtimes when the kids were younger , cracking roast beef and Yorkshire .

The Magistrates Court virtually next door has now closed down being turned into posh flats ( very secure ones :) )

Barnet Museum just around the corner in Wood Street is still there,

https://www.stonehouserestaurants.co.uk/.../eastofengland/theredlionbarnet  
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

Jacqueline

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 07:40:17 PM »
Enjoyed your peek at family history Jacqueline. Tell us more. Audrine

Hope you & family are coping & keeping well.

Audrine, Don't start me! I could bore everyone to death with my family history.  When I find those addresses in Islington I'll write more.

Now I'm being nosey here, I know you worked in Rayners Lane Boots, and live in America,  are you British originally, or were you from the American Air Base in Ruislip? I went to school with a girl from the Base.

Jacqueline

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 07:43:00 PM »

Good evening yes the Red Lion is still going still serving booze and food hopefully it will come back to life after lockdown, been there on a few Sunday lunchtimes when the kids were younger , cracking roast beef and Yorkshire .

The Magistrates Court virtually next door has now closed down being turned into posh flats ( very secure ones :) )

Barnet Museum just around the corner in Wood Street is still there,

https://www.stonehouserestaurants.co.uk/.../eastofengland/theredlionbarnet  

Walter, Lovely to know the Red Lion is still going, most of the pubs of my youth are long gone.

I'd love to come back and have a look around again, it's been a long long time.

Audrine

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 08:28:09 PM »
Hi Jacqueline,

I was born in Maida Vale hospital & lived in Kensington until after the war when the family moved to North Harrow. I lived there until I married an American airmen.
I actually dated an American based at Ruislip, from Washington at the age of seventeen.
Always good to hear from you, it takes me back to those good old days when I worked at Raynors Lane. Lovely place then. Cheers Audrine

The one I married was from California.

Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 11:03:30 PM »
There is loads of history in my home town of which I am very proud of, it is thought to date back to the 9th century.......In 885 CEAlfred the Great defeated Danish ships in a battle that took place in the harbour.

Capt. Christopher Jones who captained the Mayflower was born here and the house still stands as a tourist attraction.

Samuel Pepys was once the M.P. for here as were some other well known men history.

Horatio Nelson once visited and stayed at a local pub.

Many other famous people from the history books have visited here.

There are still many old buildings in the old part of the town still standing and dating back many years.
The only way is up....

GrannyMac

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 08:11:14 AM »
My home town has an interesting history in its connections to India and the jute trade.  Raw jute was imported from India and turned into sacking, carpet backing etc.  It was at its peak at the middle of the 19thc.  Lots of women worked as spinners and weavers, they were cheaper than men, and male unemployment was high.  The demise of the mills started in the early 20th century when the mill owners built in India, and Dundee men went to develop and manage those factories.  There are no commercial jute mills in Dundee, the last surviving one is now a heritage centre, Verdant Works.  When I was growing up one of my uncles lived in Calcutta, and it was exciting when he came home to visit.  He always brought some small gifts, I remember glass bangles - they didn't last long!  We had a white Indian carpet in our living room - a gift from Uncle Bill.

Dundee was known as the city of Jute, Jam, and Journalism.  The jam was of course Dundee marmalade, said to have been invented by Mrs Keiller.  Its thought that marmalade existed before she started selling it, but Keillers certainly raised its popularity.

Journalism - the firm of D.C.Thompson is of course known, as well as for its newspapers, for the Beano and Dandy.  There are models of some of the best known around the city centre.

https://www.alamy.com/statues-of-desperate-dan-and-minnie-the-mix-in-dundee-city-centre-image5791105.html
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Jacqueline

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 10:50:27 PM »
Hi Jacqueline,

I was born in Maida Vale hospital & lived in Kensington until after the war when the family moved to North Harrow. I lived there until I married an American airmen.
I actually dated an American based at Ruislip, from Washington at the age of seventeen.
Always good to hear from you, it takes me back to those good old days when I worked at Raynors Lane. Lovely place then. Cheers Audrine

The one I married was from California.

Hi Audrine,  Do you remember the Embassy Cinema in North Harrow?  We used to go there a lot  then it was knocked down and turned into a Bowling Alley, I used to go there too.  For a few months I worked in Freeman Hardy and Willis shoe shop by the station.

Whereabouts in California are you?  I bet it was a culture shock when you first arrived there from England.   Jacqueline

Jacqueline

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 10:54:45 PM »
Lovely reading your hometown histories, really interesting.

granny moss

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 04:14:14 PM »
I was born in Trieste, lived there, then in Udine, then in Venice, then Torino....Then Udine again when I got married ...then London, Ilford, South Hanninfield highest beauty location in Essex, it is now a reservoir, after they flooded the whole of the most pretty village there. Then moved to Norwich, and now in a village in the  reserve by the Broads in Norfolk.

Ashy

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 07:15:34 PM »
All around London were workhouses, most of them are used as flats these days, some were used as factories and hospitals. Some of the workhouse buildings are still standing but disused. Another local site, now an enclosed housing estate, was a horse tram depot.

zoony

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 01:13:34 AM »
Bugger all here..I thought until I discovered I lived on the ancient salt-trail from the mines in Cheshire over the Pennines and thence to the East coast. As a kid I remember watching Mr Brown the Smith who's open Smithy and furnace was at the bottom of the road, shoeing horses and bashing iron about at his forge which had been there and in use since the Dark Ages. His son bought the local chip shop when the forge closed and served excellent fish and chips for many years thereafter..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.