Author Topic: Sport for the Elderly  (Read 1318 times)

Hugh

Sport for the Elderly
« on: May 22, 2020, 01:13:59 PM »
You have guessed it I am talking golf. I was plus seventy when I got involved in golf and by accident my son purchased a new set and left his old set hanging around. So I thought give it ago at a driving range, and I got hooked into the sport. Its a real shame I did not know about Meandmygolf online coach team if I had I would have saved my self a lot of money. Because of my age everyone wants to help me out, and more or less every game I got told to keep my head still and down. Its a MYTH, all its done is stop me hitting the ball any great distance and it lost me all my body power created in the back swing. I kept blaming my equipment, on the plus side I now have some good golf equipment which I will be able to put to good use once released from lock down. The head as to move on a backward and forward, on a steady horizontal plain of movement, not all over the place.

PS easier sport than Brian running club :) :) :)

mick607

Re: Sport for the Elderly
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 02:59:30 PM »
You have guessed it I am talking golf. I was plus seventy when I got involved in golf and by accident my son purchased a new set and left his old set hanging around. So I thought give it ago at a driving range, and I got hooked into the sport. Its a real shame I did not know about Meandmygolf online coach team if I had I would have saved my self a lot of money. Because of my age everyone wants to help me out, and more or less every game I got told to keep my head still and down. Its a MYTH, all its done is stop me hitting the ball any great distance and it lost me all my body power created in the back swing. I kept blaming my equipment, on the plus side I now have some good golf equipment which I will be able to put to good use once released from lock down. The head as to move on a backward and forward, on a steady horizontal plain of movement, not all over the place.

PS easier sport than Brian running club :) :) :)
I'm in favour of sport for the elderly. Not much on the telly though  ;D ;D ;D

Hugh

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 03:35:39 PM »
Before I started playing golf my son had it on TV all the time, and at the time it bored me stiff. How different now that I know difficulties of each shot. I can just imagine what members are thinking. If it bored me before I started playing why should PF members be any different. Having a practice net and studying golf, its making my 12 weeks in stay at home lock down bearable. I have been able to relearn the game and wipe away the Myths I have collected over the few years I have been playing. I am 81 this year and the oldest person I have played with was 94 so hope fully have many more golfing years ahead of me.

klondike

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 04:21:57 PM »
There are sets of clubs available in all good charity shops for those not sure they'd definitely be interested. From the skills I saw demonstrated on the local council golf course once it reopened it looks like a potentially dangerous sport as the direction of travel of the ball appears to be quite random for many golfers.

I have played pay per round pitch and putt with an iron and putter in the past and didn't do abysmally badly but I feel I have enough frustrations in my life right now without adding to them. I also recall walking round that golf course in days gone by and picking up a bagful of balls.
So long and thanks for all the fish

GrannyMac

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 05:49:57 PM »
Well done Hugh, we're never too old to learn something new, and its great that you enjoy it so much.

I've been reading about a ladies' basketball team in San Diego, all players are over 80.  I've a few years to wait.   ;D

https://www.self.com/story/womens-basketball-age-80
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Hugh

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 06:28:45 PM »
To start playing golf its far to find a golf club which does group lesson which cost less than £10 which includes a basket of balls. Golf to me, its the company, exercise and the golf it self takes third place. Just what a lonely life I would have, with out it, being a lone pensioner. No sports safe so I take out golf insurance each year.
I was in my early seventies GM, when I was enjoying scuba diving, and had two trips to South Africa to experience diving with sharks with African Dive Adventure. That's a really easy relaxing sport but just got to expensive for me, so golf took it place.
My lads quite often ask what I am taking up next ;D ;D ;D ;D

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 09:18:24 PM »
I remember your posts about diving Hugh. All credit to you for trying different things.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Cee Gee

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 08:18:59 AM »
Crown green bowls. Good healthy excersise, lots of walking bending and body movement as well as use of the mind co-ordination. You can buy a used set of bowls for around £50 and council greens free to use. There are lots of clubs to join to meet new friends and company. :) :) :)

Hugh

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 08:55:23 AM »
Many happy memories from my scuba days G.M Coming face to face with a great big bull shark as a very long lasting memory. They really are lovely friendly animals and I could cry when I hear of them being killed for their fins to make soup.
Cee Gee is right crown bowls is a good social sport for all age groups, it so important to get involved to keep fit and enjoy life to the full in retirement
Before you buy a set of bowls, indoor ones are different to one's use on grass so take care.

Cee Gee

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 02:33:57 PM »
Many happy memories from my scuba days G.M Coming face to face with a great big bull shark as a very long lasting memory. They really are lovely friendly animals and I could cry when I hear of them being killed for their fins to make soup.
Cee Gee is right crown bowls is a good social sport for all age groups, it so important to get involved to keep fit and enjoy life to the full in retirement
Before you buy a set of bowls, indoor ones are different to one's use on grass so take care.

Hi Hugh. Yes you are correct regarding the different type of bowls and advice is needed when buying.

I too qualified for a divers permit. I never got near Sharks but I have had a face to face with a Moray Eel showing a mouth full of teeth.
Diving can be quite dangerous without proper training. I do not know if this has been addressed but when I was in Greece I saw a group of ten inexperienced divers go out with only two experienced divers........Not many people can cope with the freeflow breathing training or the expelling of air if coming up to the surface in emergency. :) :)    

Hugh

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 03:40:37 PM »
Moray Eels are normally pretty harmless, in Tenerife  waters there was one or two so use to diver you could tickle then under the chin which they quite enjoyed. Turtle were a pest they would sneak up on you and give you a bite. I did most of my diving in Tenerife waters with a club called Atlantic Divers. I train up to deep water which allowed me to dive to 40 metres. My two trips to South Africa that was some thing really special, my very first dive when my heart was pumping ten to the dozen and a large bull shark and a 5 metre tiger shark came within inches of me to investigate. Roland the owner he was very concerned, he thought I may do a very rapid ascent, and he would have a dead diver on his hands. Fantastic memories. If you are interested Cee Gee look up African Dive Adventure some very interesting films.

Cee Gee

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 05:40:40 PM »
My diving ended when my car was stolen with all my uninsured diving equipment in the back along with my dive log. I could not to my wife justify the replacement cost. All I have now are the good memories and an out of date diving permit. ::)

em

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 06:16:16 PM »
Good photo,Charles.

Hugh

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 08:55:04 PM »
Sorry to hear that Charles a sad way to end a diving life. My reasons were pretty mixed, my eye sight got pretty poor and I had to start wearing glasses, diving with sharks made diving else where pretty boring, along with that my wife health started to go down hill. So I decided to call it a day. Still have wonderful memories.
You will just have to follow in my foot steps and take up golf I will let you have a few irons to get you started. Hugh

Cee Gee

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 09:24:54 PM »
Sad tale Hugh, but as you say both got memories. Would not be able to fit golf in  I look after the dogs of two friends, crown green bowls most day and Photography. Besides that I cook and wash the pots for my lovely wife Sue who suffer's R A . keeps me going. ;D