Author Topic: Refuseniks?  (Read 639 times)

xetog

Refuseniks?
« on: May 23, 2020, 09:10:01 AM »
I see that vast numbers of people who could return to work, but won't are happy living off state funds.  Is it not time to revert to a system by which, if the employer has a job held open and the employee refuses to return without reasonable excuse, state benefits of all sorts should be withdrawn.  Those state employees who are being paid in full by the state and refuse the call to return without reasonable excuse should have their pay stopped.  Perhaps in either case if the job is held open for 2 weeks and the employee is still no show, the job should be lost and advertised to those who are jobless and willing to work.

In a survey today (DM) it suggests that many pensioners are better off.  How?  Apart from travel, which surely is optional anyway, I cannot see how my financial state has improved, in fact due to low interest rates I am loosing over £100 per month compared with this time last year.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Michael Rolls

Re: Refuseniks?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 09:15:59 AM »
My major savings account, which paid 3% not all that long ago, and is currently paying 0.3%,  will be paying 0.01% from next month - £1 a year for every £100 invested. And of course, that's before tax. Somehow, that doesn't make me feel better off
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

xetog

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 09:36:17 AM »
Like you Mike, my interest rates have fallen off a cliff, from an average of 1% this time last year to virtually nothing and that's on top of sustained reductions over the last few years.  At such a time I would normally be spending capital on extending the house or something like that, but I can't get any builders to do it anyway.  I am spending rather than saving though.  Luckily I have a few bonds at fixed rates which are still giving me good returns, but most of those will be repaid within the year leaving me with money sitting in the bank doing nothing.  It has been suggested that I invest in shares (I do have a few), but as quickly as I show interest in a firm they seem to go bust, so I am very wary. I am wondering what will happen when BOE rate goes negative.

Mike.X

klondike

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 09:52:12 AM »
Invest in shares? My wife and I have a couple of stocks and shares ISAs. A recent statement showed one down £300 over the last 3 months and the other £600. I doubt they will recoup that in the next 3 year let alone months.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 09:58:22 AM »
I propose to get a bucket, fill it with sand, and stick my head in it.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 09:59:39 AM »
Probably a wise move
Mike 😒😒
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 10:10:28 AM »
If everything gets too expensive to live I think I'll try and fail in an armed raid on the local post office (it would be a bank but they all closed a while back) then the government can house and feed me and pay my BBC tax too.
So long and thanks for all the fish

xetog

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 11:00:43 AM »
I notice Trump is saying that benefits should withdrawn from Americans that refuse to go back to work.

Mike.X

Sheila

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 11:14:36 AM »
I have a fixed rate ISA and a fixed rate bond maturing in June.  I wish I had tied them up for longer now.

sparky

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 11:28:27 AM »
Our Santander 123 acc is going down to a crap 0.6 in August, so I will now only keep enough in that for every day expenses, then a larger float in a 120 day notice account for emergencies, the rest in fixed rate bonds.
I would not touch shares, I learnt a long time ago, that for me. any form of a gamble is a disaster. I could back 9 of the ten horses in a race, and the tenth would end up winning 

Glen

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 04:27:44 PM »
I have no wish to undermine the worry some people  have about returning to work. However, would these same people be willing to see a doctor, go supermarket shopping, accept  online deliveries, get petrol etc. yaddah yaddah. Who staffs these places? Which job is safe? We probably need to go back to ...
Don't ask more of others than of yourself!

Walter

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 04:37:05 PM »
Well said hear hear
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”