Author Topic: parsley Box  (Read 2278 times)

granny moss

Re: parsley Box
« Reply #15 on: Jun 23, 2020, 06:43:55 AM »
Some times some elderly living alone person has physical pain when standing or moving. Lack of balance also impedes the standing for preparations of meals. The four careers coming in and costing a lot...do not cook meals....only stick in the micro the ones that are in the freezer.  Some pensioners are severely disabled. They need this service of ready meals. I am lucky I can stand and stick one of these meals in the micro. They are not as good as the ones I could cook, but I am glad that I can get them delivered, as I cannot get to shops or walk up and down searching for what I want pushing a trolley.Think before you speak is a good bit of advice. There but for the grace of.......etc. gmx

em

« Reply #16 on: Jun 25, 2020, 01:43:35 PM »
I have now tried Parsley box.The individual meals are exactly as Michael R described them.I do not think that one on its own constitutes a main meal.They definitely need extra veg etc.Quite tasty,useful as a stand-by.

stellamaris

« Reply #17 on: Jun 25, 2020, 02:15:51 PM »
. I get a carton out of the freezer and stick it in the microwave most times without even looking to see what it is. So I dont know what Im having for supper until it goes "ding" and I open it up.

What sort of cartons does he use biglouis? I have been on years long hunt for microwaveable disposable cartons, not tupperware type plastic.   I do have a wide selection of Systema items which are very safe in the microwave which I use for microwave steaming and heating.  But they take up a bit of room in the freezer.  I usually end up having to put some portions in Kilner jars in the fridge when I do a big cook.  They keep icy cold for days in glass containers but I do have to remember to use them.  And both of my options require some heavy washing up.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Diasi

« Reply #18 on: Jun 25, 2020, 03:31:31 PM »

What sort of cartons does he use biglouis? I have been on years long hunt for microwaveable disposable cartons, not tupperware type plastic.   I do have a wide selection of Systema items which are very safe in the microwave which I use for microwave steaming and heating.  But they take up a bit of room in the freezer.  I usually end up having to put some portions in Kilner jars in the fridge when I do a big cook.  They keep icy cold for days in glass containers but I do have to remember to use them.  And both of my options require some heavy washing up.

I save the clear plastic trays that frozen potatoes come in & reuse those.

I also save the aluminium foil trays that some Birds Eye fish come in & reuse those in the halogen oven. 
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

biglouis

« Reply #19 on: Jun 25, 2020, 04:54:35 PM »
GMX Im not putting down people who buy these meals just because Im fortunate enough to have a relative who brings me home cooked ones. I sometimes buy ready meals from Tesco as well. And I do appreciate that some older people cannot stand long enough even for a micro meal to warm up.

Its not just older people. Many younger and fitter single people just cannot be bothered cooking for themselves and find it a chore. Ive never been interested in cooking.

I believe Chris gets the cartons in one of the "pound" shops near him. They are quite sturdy so we just wash them out and re-use them.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

granny moss

« Reply #20 on: Jun 25, 2020, 06:23:47 PM »
Nothing  100% replace home cooking...Micky and I were in the catering trade. We belonged to the Catering trade Association. Once a month, the chefs of restaurants etc. each took a turn to make a wonderful display of their favourite foods....and all us members would enjoy a great time eating. Micky and I always had a very pleasant time when eating a meal at their place. Some of them were italian. Mackintosh chef, when his turn to show off came, he did all the cold buffet in my name !!! I have good memories of all of them...gmx

biglouis

« Reply #21 on: Jun 26, 2020, 12:07:07 AM »
The meals Chris brings me are "man" sized portions. He cooks a meal for himself, his flatmate and me and just splits it into three.  So often the amount is too big so I have the excess for lunch next day. I had a lovely pasta meal this evening with a glass of Mateus rose but it was far too hot to eat it all.

They are filling up a useful gap in the market for people who (for whatever reason) cannot or do not want to cook a meal for themselves. 20 years ago as a much younger professional I gave up shopping in person as soon as Tesco began delivering as there are no shops or supermarkets in this area. Trailing around shops for food was just not a valuable use of my time  and abilities. I dont know a single man who enjoys going to the supermarket.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #22 on: Jun 26, 2020, 04:01:31 AM »
I am one of the many who don’t!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

granny moss

« Reply #23 on: Jun 26, 2020, 07:45:25 AM »
Have just had a leaflet in my post box....Ready cooked meals straight from the oven are available for delivery to the home !!! gmx

biglouis

« Reply #24 on: Jun 26, 2020, 04:25:33 PM »
I dont think many women enjoy going there either. Queues, trailing around the aisles, trollies with dodgy wheels, kids underfioot. Even watching football on TV is preferable.

granny moss

« Reply #25 on: Jun 27, 2020, 11:00:44 AM »
Life can be so intgeresting at times....it never ceases to surprise me....and the Forum is the Best. All those parcels and meals coming and going...It can be very busy...with lawns to cut, and shopping to do, and cleaning...My, it can be really busy !  ;) gmx

Michael Rolls

« Reply #26 on: Jun 27, 2020, 11:02:50 AM »
Can't make up my mind what not to do first - decisions, decisions
Mike

granny moss

« Reply #27 on: Jun 27, 2020, 11:08:17 AM »
Do the last that comes to your mind, first.....

Michael Rolls

« Reply #28 on: Jun 27, 2020, 11:10:21 AM »
I like it - there are so many things not to do I'll never start!
Mike 😁😁😁😁

Michael Rolls

« Reply #29 on: Jun 27, 2020, 11:59:23 AM »
just enjoyed their beef in Diane sauce - very tasty and whereas I would have cooked that sort of meal for Veronica and myself - or for more than two if we had visitors - there is no way I would bother just for myself. This is one of the meals where you need to add potato or something - in my case today plain long grain rice - which means that unlike most ready meals you are left with a plate and a receptacle to wash up - shock! Horror! Normally I eat straight out of the container, so no washing up - but don't knock it. OK, I know I am a slob, but I have worked hard to become what I am!
Mike