Author Topic: invisible ink,??  (Read 989 times)

Alfred

invisible ink,??
« on: May 24, 2020, 08:41:27 AM »
Having watched ww.2 on you tube i saw one documentary about spies , that is German agents who landed on our shores, captured and then  turned around ending up as double agents working for us, and the Americans .

it was interesting to note that these spies used two aspirins very well crushed and with a little water, with a pen with a fine nib write hidden messages in between the lines of a normal hand written letter,

it wasn't clear about the process for removing these hidden messages but it was amazing to think that some one or other was clever enough to have worked it all out,

Q; are you interested in  some of the amazing events and ideas, that happened during ww.2
if so will you share your thoughts with us,.

biglouis

Re: invisible ink,??
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 02:53:22 PM »
Ive always been interested in Turing and the code breakers. He (Turing) and his fellow workers played a crucial role in cracking intercepted coded messages that enabled the Allies to defeat the Nazis.  He was very eccentric may not have been the most endearing individual to work with. He was treated appallingly for the sin of being gay. Some of his brilliant concepts are still used in computing. I am glad the Queen pardoned him.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Walter

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 07:48:45 PM »
Having watched ww.2 on you tube i saw one documentary about spies , that is German agents who landed on our shores, captured and then  turned around ending up as double agents working for us, and the Americans .

it was interesting to note that these spies used two aspirins very well crushed and with a little water, with a pen with a fine nib write hidden messages in between the lines of a normal hand written letter,

it wasn't clear about the process for removing these hidden messages but it was amazing to think that some one or other was clever enough to have worked it all out,

Q; are you interested in  some of the amazing events and ideas, that happened during ww.2
if so will you share your thoughts with us,.

The Germans first used the Aspirin invisible ink in WW1 , mate of mine and I when in junior school used to make invisible ink from Lemon juice , virtually any citric juice works, usual method to read the hidden message is apply heat hold the paper near a hot light bulb or similar heat source.

“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 08:07:18 PM »
Vernon, my late brother, and I did that with lemon juice. Didn’t know you could use aspirin
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 10:24:56 PM »
I could never see the point of invisible ink.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 05:50:24 AM »
😊😊😊
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 07:17:58 AM »
Ive always been interested in Turing and the code breakers. He (Turing) and his fellow workers played a crucial role in cracking intercepted coded messages that enabled the Allies to defeat the Nazis.  He was very eccentric may not have been the most endearing individual to work with. He was treated appallingly for the sin of being gay. Some of his brilliant concepts are still used in computing. I am glad the Queen pardoned him.

My eldest granddaughter is in a school team taking part in a cryptography competition.  She's a bit of a maths boffin. They did quite well last year, I know she got some monetary prize.  I think its this one. https://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/cryptography_competition/

I agree with you BL, re his treatment and his pardon.

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 08:11:58 AM »

I've always thought that Alan Turing & his team did a cracking job.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Walter

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 08:30:16 AM »
They did according to the experts saved many lives by shortening the war , as already been said he was treated very badly to say the least a terrible end to a brilliant man
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

klondike

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 10:24:40 AM »
At least his name is still well known. Plenty of other unsung heros from Bletchley Park who are pretty much complete unknowns. Tommy Flowers for instance who designed and built the first electronic code breaking machines that made the process practical. Others too who I've seen mentioned in programs about the place but who I've forgotten again just like everybody else.

Bletchley Park isn't far from home for me and I've been promising myself a trip there for years but never got around to it. Perhaps I will soon as I have one of these on order....
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 10:29:58 AM »
I think I too would like to see Bletchley Park when I get round tuit.