Author Topic: Oh joy and rapture  (Read 3574 times)

GrannyMac

Re: Oh joy and rapture
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2020, 02:35:48 PM »
Living in a very small village, with one main street through it, one small post office/shop and one old pub on the broad, must have some advantages.....Here, for the present moment...no coloured faces or a single muslim bell.....Wonder for how long  ??? ::) gmx

Granny my dearest friend has a 'coloured' face.  She's more English than me, born here, brought up here by her English mother.  Her African father gave her her skin colour.   Two generations on, she has 'white' grandchildren.

She has no more wish than me for amplified calls to prayers, or the wider spread of Islam.  But she's still judged. 😧

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Yellowbird

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2020, 02:41:28 PM »
I am having a bad day today, the thought of this happening all over my country has made the depression much deeper, listening to my neighbors hammering drilling and banging seems mild in comparison with the wailing that will fill the air if this is allowed countrywide
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

GrannyMac

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2020, 03:25:28 PM »

I feel the same when I hear the Church Bells ringing calling people to prayer. ??? ???

Bee I don't often disagree with you, but church bells are part of UK heritage, and give a very different message to than of an amplified call to prayer.   I'm not a practising Christian, but the tenets of Christianity have formed the basis of our society for a very, very long time.  We are a liberal country, unlike many majority Islamic countries, here people have freedom to follow their chosen religion.  That, IMO, is very different from the imposition of a minority religion on the rest of us.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Glen

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2020, 05:49:47 PM »
GrannyMac wasn't child labour and hanging also part of our heritage. Things do change and often for the better. . Lound noise causing a nuisance (whether religious or not) is a noise nuisance and should be treated as such in my view. With the new rules and regs these days I'm suprised it's not seen as discrimination against those of no religion! I'm manufacturing new clocks following this. You set it at the appropriate time and get the call to prayer/ church bells/ bird song/ children arguing... whatever floats your boat and leaves the rest of us in peace!

Jacqueline

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2020, 05:58:51 PM »
What these call to prayer loudspeaker wailers need is someone with a bigger loudspeaker and a nice bit of Motorhead, that'll drown em out!

klondike

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2020, 06:00:56 PM »
It might not be too hard to make that clock. Part of the job is already done - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mosque-Shaped-Battery-Islamic-Muslim/dp/B074YGQ62F
So long and thanks for all the fish

Jacqueline

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2020, 06:15:11 PM »
Granny my dearest friend has a 'coloured' face.  She's more English than me, born here, brought up here by her English mother.  Her African father gave her her skin colour.   Two generations on, she has 'white' grandchildren.

She has no more wish than me for amplified calls to prayers, or the wider spread of Islam.  But she's still judged.

Your friend as a minority would have no problem at all if it wasn't for the huge mass immigration and take over of London and the big cities that we have had inflicted on us.   A few black people are not a problem and would be accepted in the main. We have large conclaves of people from every foreign country under the sun, white foreigners included, most British people don't want this, they want their country back and unfortunately your friend is treated harshly as she is just classed as another one of them which is really unfortunate..

Glen

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2020, 06:20:07 PM »
Thanks  Klondike. I was going for  higher end price wise ££££.

stellamaris

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2020, 06:25:29 PM »
I have a few thoughts on church bells and calls to prayer.  First and foremost I think loudspeakers, recordings or any thing like that should be banned - for all places of worship.   If you haven't got real bells, that's too bad, and if you haven't got a man with a loud enough call, that is too bad also.

Church bells are quite marvellous in my view, and ringing them is a skill - a tradition that should be preserved until it dies out.  Also I don't think Church bells are rung twice a day anywhere.  My personal experience in a city is that they ring a few times on a Sunday and there is bell ringing practice one evening per week.  Other than that it is for special nationwide occasions, and locally for weddings and funerals.  Twice a day would be overdoing it - as it is for mosques.  Also there is nothing traditional about technology for calls to prayer.   So I am rather biased towards church bells, because I like them.

As an aside, if you ever find yourself in Liverpool Anglican Cathedral [ ???   well it's possible that you might] then take a trip up the tower.  Near the top you will find yourself on a walkway encircling a vast drop down the middle of the tower.  This walkway is above the bells and you can look down on them and see their workings and how enormous they are.  Wonderful sight.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

klondike

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2020, 06:28:38 PM »
Thanks  Klondike. I was going for  higher end price wise ££££.
You'd need to get all the others and cobble them together which should bump the price.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Jacqueline

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2020, 06:40:54 PM »
I have a few thoughts on church bells and calls to prayer.  First and foremost I think loudspeakers, recordings or any thing like that should be banned - for all places of worship.   If you haven't got real bells, that's too bad, and if you haven't got a man with a loud enough call, that is too bad also.

Church bells are quite marvellous in my view, and ringing them is a skill - a tradition that should be preserved until it dies out.  Also I don't think Church bells are rung twice a day anywhere.  My personal experience in a city is that they ring a few times on a Sunday and there is bell ringing practice one evening per week.  Other than that it is for special nationwide occasions, and locally for weddings and funerals.  Twice a day would be overdoing it - as it is for mosques.  Also there is nothing traditional about technology for calls to prayer.   So I am rather biased towards church bells, because I like them.

As an aside, if you ever find yourself in Liverpool Anglican Cathedral [ ???   well it's possible that you might] then take a trip up the tower.  Near the top you will find yourself on a walkway encircling a vast drop down the middle of the tower.  This walkway is above the bells and you can look down on them and see their workings and how enormous they are.  Wonderful sight.

We love looking around churches and cathedrals, my husband has been on many a roof tour while I wait on the ground.  One day we were in Ely Cathedral, I thought don't be a wimp go and have a look, I got up to where the guide opened the door of the lantern and we looked down to the floor of the cathedral, it was so far down, the people were dots! I left the group and went down as fast as I could.  Now I always stay ground level ( don't mind crypts though). My dear husband would love to see this if we ever get to Liverpool Cathedral.

Church bells are lovely, traditional England at its best.

stellamaris

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2020, 07:04:35 PM »
You'd be fine in the Liverpool Anglican Jacqueline.  There are lifts in the tower.  They go as far as the walkway I mentioned in my post and you can hang about there as long as you like, or not all.  From there you have to get up about 120 narrow stone steps.  But these go straight up with walls and and ropes on both sides and the light comes in from various points.  At the top you go on to a very large circular flat roof with stout walls all round.  They are built a bit like castle windows so no danger or falling out or being blown out, though it can be windy.  You just walk around stopping where you like and you can see right across to Wales [North that is].   My mother did it with no problem and she was often so frightened of heights she became a liability because she really tried to do it and we were terrified for her.

So ends my hard sell of Liverpool Cathedral. ;D ;D   If its crypts you like then walk up the road to the Catholic cathedral.  They have a marvellous crypt.  It is a Lutyens mini cathedral, a mine of information and displays and has a well attended Polish Church down there.   I don't like the air though - its really deep in the ground.

mick607

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2020, 07:06:53 PM »
You'd be fine in the Liverpool Anglican Jacqueline.  There are lifts in the tower.  They go as far as the walkway I mentioned in my post and you can hang about there as long as you like, or not all.  From there you have to get up about 120 narrow stone steps.  But these go straight up with walls and and ropes on both sides and the light comes in from various points.  At the top you go on to a very large circular flat roof with stout walls all round.  They are built a bit like castle windows so no danger or falling out or being blown out, though it can be windy.  You just walk around stopping where you like and you can see right across to Wales [North that is].   My mother did it with no problem and she was often so frightened of heights she became a liability because she really tried to do it and we were terrified for her.

So ends my hard sell of Liverpool Cathedral. ;D ;D   If its crypts you like then walk up the road to the Catholic cathedral.  They have a marvellous crypt.  It is a Lutyens mini cathedral, a mine of information and displays and has a well attended Polish Church down there.   I don't like the air though - its really deep in the ground.
Been to them both, fantastic.

Jacqueline

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2020, 07:11:44 PM »

Do they employ you directly to drum up trade? lol  I thought the Catholic one was very modern, looks like a wigwam? didn't know  Lutyens had anything to do with it, my favorite architect.

stellamaris

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2020, 07:28:05 PM »
https://www.liverpoolmetrocathedral.org.uk/lutyens-crypt/

There are better sites than this with more pictures but this one gives some information on the design.