Author Topic: Oh joy and rapture  (Read 3573 times)

GrannyMac

Re: Oh joy and rapture
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2020, 06:41:21 AM »
They would have to prove it in court. Heresay is not sufficient.

CCTV and phone cameras are everywhere! 

Not so.
The perception of most is that to criticise or complain about anything related to Muslims, or indeed any member of the ethnic minority is automatically classified as Racial Abuse.
I sometimes do it myself without thinking if I hear anybody complaining about immigrants and the way they live - I would tell them that those comments would be deemed to make you appear to be a bigot and a racist.

It was that thinking that let the grooming gangs get away with their revolting, criminal practices for so long.  If someone breaks the law, it shouldn't matter what their ethnicity or religion is.  If the criticism or complaint is legitimate, then its legitimate!   
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2020, 06:47:11 AM »
Don't forget that the definition of racial abuse used by the police is that someone believes it to have occurred - doesn't even have to be the person at whom the alleged abuse was aimed. Ridiculous, but that's the age in which we live
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Glen

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2020, 07:44:49 AM »
I think we have trivialised crimes like race and sexual crimes to such an extent the serious ones aren't given the attention they deserve. If I think someone has made a racial slur about me that's  enough to be counted in stats. Really, surely  it should be what a reasonable person  deems it to be and ideally proven!  On the radio yesterday it said 1 in 5 kids witness domestic abuse physical or emotional. Is that Mum and Dad having a row? Unpleasant as it can be I think we have to know what we are talking about here. In moderate cases it can be good for kids to learn that people can have heated debates but stll be friends and that even Mum and Dad aren't perfect.  These stats become meaningless.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2020, 07:46:10 AM »
Lies, damn lies, and statistics
Mike

klondike

« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2020, 07:50:53 AM »
Lies, damned lies, statistics and the BBC.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2020, 07:51:32 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mike

Jacqueline

« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2020, 05:00:24 PM »
I think we have trivialised crimes like race and sexual crimes to such an extent the serious ones aren't given the attention they deserve. If I think someone has made a racial slur about me that's  enough to be counted in stats. Really, surely  it should be what a reasonable person  deems it to be and ideally proven!  On the radio yesterday it said 1 in 5 kids witness domestic abuse physical or emotional. Is that Mum and Dad having a row? Unpleasant as it can be I think we have to know what we are talking about here. In moderate cases it can be good for kids to learn that people can have heated debates but stll be friends and that even Mum and Dad aren't perfect.  These stats become meaningless.

Real abuse of children is unforgivable, but what are we talking about here?

My mother and father rowed all the time, I actually though it was funny, no matter what the row was about, the lines would come in at some point, mum would say your just like your mother, he'd say something about her mother, I could have written the script.  I was never frightened I knew they loved me and each other really.

My teenage granddaughter had a row with her father recently and phoned me for sympathy.  "Dad abused me when I was young", my heart went over wondering what terrible accusations she was going to make, "he smacked me".  My answer was what did you do to deserve it then?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2020, 08:16:18 PM »
Fair question

Goingtoseed

« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2020, 12:16:56 AM »
My teenage granddaughter had a row with her father recently and phoned me for sympathy.  "Dad abused me when I was young", my heart went over wondering what terrible accusations she was going to make, "he smacked me".  My answer was what did you do to deserve it then?

You did nothing about it?
You should have reported the conversation to the police for them to investigate an assault on a child. Social Services would have to be involved to ensure the safety and welfare of the child.
It is unacceptable to hit any child for any reason. It teaches then nothing.
None of my children or grandchildren have ever been hit by the parent.

Jacqueline

« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2020, 12:34:38 AM »
You did nothing about it?
You should have reported the conversation to the police for them to investigate an assault on a child. Social Services would have to be involved to ensure the safety and welfare of the child.
It is unacceptable to hit any child for any reason. It teaches then nothing.
None of my children or grandchildren have ever been hit by the parent.

I hope you are you having me on? 

Glen

« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2020, 05:56:42 AM »
To be fair ....I don’t like smacking. When I’ve been tempted it’s when I’ve lost control. I’m the adult. As my children got older, and one in particular was very challenging, I used to use the “let’s discuss what happened”. He used to beg me to hit him and would say “no not another lecture. Just hit me. You will feel better and it gets it over with quickly. This is too painful.” My grandchildren have never been smacked. In fact, when a friend told her daughter that he was going to smack the grandchild if she were naughty on his watch it felt very wrong. You know your kids best and I am no expert. A slap is not child beating it’s just not for me.